Obama Projected the Winner of the 2008 Presidential Election

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Obama Projected the Winner of the 2008 Presidential Election

Post by Jesus Freak »

CNN projected it at 11pm tonight when the California polls closed. It's over. Obama will be the next president of the United States.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Congrats to Obama and the Democrats for tonight.

Next comes the really hard part - actually governing. I wish him well, and I wish him wisdom.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Hooray for Barack Obama!!! Also...

FLORIDA IS A BLUE STATE NOW! WOOT!
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

Your messiah has come.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

It's a great day for America in two ways.

1- A black man has just been elected President. An epic achievement and a major historical moment.

2- The Clintons are officially toast. A major gift to all of us.

As far as the rest of it, since I'm an eternal optimist, I find myself having to hope I'm very wrong about our new President.
I'm usually a really good judge of people though and so I'm thinking my hope will be as unfulfillable as that of the Obama faithful....
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Yay! Now Obama is gonna pay all mah bills! And my mortgage too! :D
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I hope I'm really wrong about Obama. I fear I'm not.

I also hope, after 8 years of Bush=Hitler type comments, we can put that sort of thing behind us. I don't expect Obama to be a good president, but I'm not going to cry for his impeachment or call him names, and I hope everyone else can manage the same. (In other words, conservatives, be bigger than those on the other side.)

Looks like the Republicans have at least 40 senate seats, which means filibusters are still possible.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Obama's victory speech was fantastic. I couldn't have done a better job.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

It is an amazing day. It still hasn't sunk in.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

Jesus Freak wrote:Obama's victory speech was fantastic. I couldn't have done a better job.
It was a thing of beauty.

And wasn't McCain's speech when conceeding the race equally eloquent? Though I found myself agreeing with Obama's politics more often than McCains, I was deeply impressed with the dignity and grace McCain showed in defeat. What a class act!
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

It'll sink in when your taxes go up.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Heh, I fully expect to hear about two weeks worth of ridiculous gloating from one side... and doomsday rhetoric from the other.

...And then we can get back to an E&C without ten new political threads an hour. :P
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I think Obama will make a great president. However I feel that the likelyhood of him being assasinated is high simply because he is black. Some inbred half-wit white supremist is gonna get his panties in an uproar.

Thing that bothers me is when people vote Republican based on moral issues like abortion or gay rights. They'll vote blindly for one side because they are against these kind of things, when neither side, once in office, will ever touch these topics one way or another, and there are larger issues at stake.

Bush was a terrible president and I'm sorry, but McCain was just more Bush, imo.

Either one probably would have made a better president than Bush, but I feel that with Obama, we at least have a chance for change for the better. Hell, he could turn out to be a bastard for all we know (he is a polititian after all) but thats true of McCain also.
--------------
----------
---Capm
http://www.midnightsquadron.com
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Well now the pendulum has swung from one political extreme to the other.
That is never a good thing.
This country's political landscape will never change until we have a viable 3rd party. Watch for the Clinton's to start it so Hillary can run for president in 2012 :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

CUDA wrote:...Watch for the Clinton's to start it so Hillary can run for president in 2012 :P
You just pissed in my cornflakes...and I was really looking forward to a nice peaceful breakfast! Now someone is going to have to suffer my wrath because of this disturbing feeling I got from that :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Capm wrote:I think Obama will make a great president. However I feel that the likelyhood of him being assasinated is high simply because he is black. Some inbred half-wit white supremist is gonna get his panties in an uproar.

Thing that bothers me is when people vote Republican based on moral issues like abortion or gay rights. They'll vote blindly for one side because they are against these kind of things, when neither side, once in office, will ever touch these topics one way or another, and there are larger issues at stake.

Bush was a terrible president and I'm sorry, but McCain was just more Bush, imo.

Either one probably would have made a better president than Bush, but I feel that with Obama, we at least have a chance for change for the better. Hell, he could turn out to be a bastard for all we know (he is a polititian after all) but thats true of McCain also.
Exactly my thoughts all along and I felt proud that he was the first president I was able to vote for. The arrogance of American politics is gone now and I hope they keep him protected because America needs him badly.

Bettina
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

Bet51987 wrote:... The arrogance of American politics is gone now....
I love your enthusiasm but you may be about to witness a new level of arrogance in congress that has never been seen before, I think you have tunnel vision for the republicans and haven't paid attention to Pelosi and Reid and Frank and Schumer and Dodd etc. etc. because their arrogance, although quite brazen already, is going to blossom into critical mass very soon.

I don't think they can count on the media protecting them any longer either. It's going to be interesting to see it unfold. One of their first plans is to stifle dissent using the FCC...Obama has already thrown reporters off his plane for working for the papers that endorsed his rival...

I think you are in for one of life's lessons in politics. Prepare to be jaded.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Capm wrote:Thing that bothers me is when people vote Republican based on moral issues like abortion or gay rights. They'll vote blindly for one side because they are against these kind of things, when neither side, once in office, will ever touch these topics one way or another, and there are larger issues at stake.
All I've been hearing is that there are a large number of judge positions that are expected to be put in place in the next four years, even possibly a few in the supreme court? That's how Obama will have a hand in the politics of abortion, since the details of that seem to get decided in court.

Also, I'll disagree with the "larger issues at stake"- the protection of the innocent is at the very core of what government exists for. From my perspective, the killing of innocent lives is infinitely more important than dollars and cents.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I for one cannot wait to see Chocolate News tonight. DAG will probably be jumping off the walls!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Lothar wrote: (In other words, conservatives, be bigger than those on the other side.)
Hmmm. I missed your comment but I can't believe you said that. :? Throughout the entire campaign the conservatives were arrogant, calling Obama by his middle name, calling him the messiah, a communist, not a true citizen, or a man palling around with terrorists, and plenty more.

Why should they take the high road now?
snoopy wrote:All I've been hearing is that there are a large number of judge positions that are expected to be put in place in the next four years, even possibly a few in the supreme court? That's how Obama will have a hand in the politics of abortion, since the details of that seem to get decided in court.
That's correct which was a main reason I wouldn't vote for McCain. Yes, Obama picks the supreme court too with about two seats going to change in his first term.
Also, I'll disagree with the "larger issues at stake"- the protection of the innocent is at the very core of what government exists for. From my perspective, the killing of innocent lives is infinitely more important than dollars and cents.
Maybe now, we can have a chance to draw that line that the conservatives wouldn't draw. Maybe now, we can find a way to administer the morning after pill for the raped girl and yet refuse to allow late term abortions. It won't be easy, but I have a better chance for that happening with a Democrat than a Republican. I hope anyway...

Bee
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Bet51987 wrote:
Lothar wrote: (In other words, conservatives, be bigger than those on the other side.)
Hmmm. I missed your comment but I can't believe you said that. :? Throughout the entire campaign the conservatives were arrogant, calling Obama by his middle name, calling him the messiah, a communist, not a true citizen, or a man palling around with terrorists, and plenty more.

Lothar didn't mean the presidential campaign. Try reading posts here and articles by the press and see how many times Bush has been insulted, called names and been blamed for everything from 9/11 to the weather.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:

I'm not saying they always have taken the high road. I'm saying they should. Because 4 more years of everyone treating the other side like crap is not something to look forward to.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Bet51987 wrote:The arrogance of American politics is gone now ...
LMAO.

Hilarious. Ahhh. the naivete of youth. Thanks for that Bee.

I'll try to remember to ask if about this again 10 years from now and see if you still think it's true. :wink: :lol:
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Will Robinson »

woodchip wrote:...Try reading posts here and articles by the press and see how many times Bush has been insulted, called names and been blamed for everything from 9/11 to the weather.
Heh, they started before he ever won the Presidency! CBS put his picture on the screen with the words "SNIPERS WANTED" across the bottom during the convention when he was nominated to run against Al Gore....

The arrogance of the left is unsurpassed!
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Gooberman »

Lothar wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:

I'm not saying they always have taken the high road. I'm saying they should. Because 4 more years of everyone treating the other side like crap is not something to look forward to.
Agreed!

(But I can see how first quote can be taken as backhanded comment: "Lets take the high road and not suck as much as they did!" ;) )
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well Bee, I hope your strongest preference was towards abortion for rape victims, because you already have that, and there was very little chance of losing it.

On the other hand, all is now lost on the issue of partial birth abortions.

We might even see retroactive abortions, for all I know!

And Lothar, why should we give Obama a break, did they give Reagan a break or Bush…paybacks are a ★■◆●, and it’s a never ending cycle. How come it’s only when a Democrat wins do I ever hear, ok ok lets be civil now?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

dissent wrote:
Bet51987 wrote:The arrogance of American politics is gone now ...
LMAO.

Hilarious. Ahhh. the naivete of youth. Thanks for that Bee.

I'll try to remember to ask if about this again 10 years from now and see if you still think it's true. :wink: :lol:
I'm happy I made your day. :)

What I meant was the arrogance of the president and vice president. I should have narrowed it down to the main subjects. Sorry. :)

In real time, I only knew the Bush/Cheney years and the way they presented themselves on the world stage was not the way I think the American people wanted to be presented. The stone face arrogance of vice president Cheney was...to me...epic, while president Bush was just too far out of tune with the very world he was supposed to shape.

Obama may make mistakes, but he has the charisma, good judgement, and magnetism that I want as a presenter to foreign heads of state that reflects more honestly my views and those like me.

I know you don't understand me (not many do) but that's the best explanation I have. :wink:

Bee
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I could mention some other people who have/had those qualities. If you find those qualities more important than judgment, welcome to Hollywood.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Spidey wrote:I could mention some other people who have/had those qualities. You find those qualities more important than judgment, welcome to Hollywood.
Didn't you once say to someone... "Don't put words in my mouth"? Yet, you do it to someone else... :)

I will edit my post to include judgement. One, being he chose a running mate based on experience instead of trying to win the womens vote. :wink:

Bee
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You are right, I should have said “if”, and let you comment.

There, I edited as well….. (If you, was actually my first draft)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Spidey wrote:How come it’s only when a Democrat wins do I ever hear, ok ok lets be civil now?
I've been asking Democrats to be civil for the last 8 years. The fact that Democrats haven't been asking each other that, IMO, reflects poorly on them. Again, we can do better.

(Goob, my request is that those on my side hold themselves to the standard I've been calling for from the other side for years. It's not "backhanded" to recognize that the other side hasn't met that standard. I'm not saying anything different from what I tell kids when they get into trouble with each other -- "I know he was mean to you, and when I talk to him I'll criticize him for it, but I still expect you not to be mean to him.")
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

People are always asking “me” to be the better person, I’m kinda getting sick of it. I’m sooooo tempted to be Zuruck or Beowulf for a while.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by dissent »

Bet51987 wrote:I'm happy I made your day. :)
I had to chuckle. When I was much younger I thought similarly. Had a lot of liberal leanings too. But the more I read and studied, the more I found my presuppositions were based on pseudo and faux intellectualism. I tend to lean more conservative now.
Obama ... but he has ... good judgement ...
I guess we'll see about that. I certainly hope so.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Kiran »

Bet51987 wrote: Obama may make mistakes, but he has the charisma, good judgement, and magnetism
I was thinking the same way in the beginning of the race. After getting to know what he plans to do, I didn't support it.
On another note, I've read somewhere that he definitely appealed to the majority of the young voters, so, like, dissent, I hope this really has nothing to do with being young and not knowing the reality of how the world works.
I didn't support Obama, but oh well, he will be our leader for the next four years. If he turns out to do a fine job, then way to go, America.