Obama's Cabinet - Ed Rendell for Energy Sec.???

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Obama's Cabinet - Ed Rendell for Energy Sec.???

Post by dissent »

President-elect Obama moves to form his team; there is little time to waste. Ed Rendell, the guv of PA, has been floated for Energy Secretary. This might not be a very good idea.
from R-Squared
I have seen Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell floated as a possible candidate. I think that signals that open warfare is the direction, as Rendell has been quite a demagogue over the oil companies. As I documented before, Rendell is someone who doesn't seem to see the connection between the 'drive anywhere, anytime' mentality and high gas prices. He wants to have the convenience of hopping in his suburban to drive two blocks, and then he wants to punish the oil companies because prices are too high. He actually wants to reward the people who drive the most. Fundamentally, I don't think Rendell has an understanding of the nature of the problems we face.
In that article is a link to an earlier 2006 article that RR wrote on Ed Rendell -
Don't follow the example of Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell, as documented below.

I have read with a bit of amusement over the past couple of days stories of Governor Ed Rendell’s rhetoric. First, let me make it clear that I don’t even know which political party this guy belongs to. When I criticize a politician, their political affiliation is of no concern to me. Shallow, pandering remarks come from both parties.

On Monday the Philadelphia Inquirer reported:

Gov. Rendell yesterday urged President Bush to impose a windfall profits tax on oil companies to curb \"profiteering\" that he said is driving the recent spike in gasoline prices.

\"The profits are ungodly; there is no excuse for this,\" Rendell said. \"Oil companies should not be permitted to drain Americans' bank accounts to collect record-breaking profits.\"

However, Rendell's office got it wrong when it said that U.S. oil refiners' profits more than doubled to 99 cents a gallon from 2004 to 2005.

The refining industry's gross profit last year was 47.7 cents per gallon, up from 40.8 cents per gallon in 2004, according to the federal Energy Information Administration. Those figures don't include the cost of refining, which would make the per-gallon profit even lower. (1)
It's (past) time for politicians to stop playing on public ignorance to demagogue for votes on energy issues. RR links this article from the Oil Drum at the bottom of the second post of his that I linked above.
The political discourse on this topic is simply so devoid of fact, and constructive discourse so buried and out of the mainstream, that we felt we needed to raise a voice of reason. Public officials will continue to misinform and obfuscate if we allow it.

The only solution is to educate the public about the most important problem we face as a generation. We, the citizens of the US and the world, must move our attention to this the issue of energy more than any other. We must hold our representative governments accountable for having an open and honest debate on the subject.
This article was also from 2006. It should be clear to anyone who has been paying attention that not much has changed in the intervening years.

If you want to bring change, Mister President-elect, then bring some here.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

If Obama is smart, he will roll out the conservatives first.

Ed Rendel really wasn't kind to Obama in the primary, and in the general (He was very publicly bossing Obama's campaign around in PA).

Why he would get anything more then the middle finger is beyond me.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Maybe there is hope for coal after all.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm already giving Obama a tick against him for considering Larry Summers. Shades of Enron, more of the same Clinton policies? That's not the 'change' we need! :x

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31642894097
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Oh, now you admit the financial crisis was a bi-partisan screwup…
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Obama's choice of Ron Emmanuel for Chief of Staff is a plus and a minus. It is apparent that Obama is rounding up all the old Clintonista's to help him in his time of need. So no sou....er change for all of you that thought a new wind was wafting thru Washington. So another minus.

The Plus is that Emmanuel is jewish and was born in Israel. A subtle message indeed sent to the radical terrorist states that all may not be harmonic between what the middle eastern radicals perceived Obama to be and what reality is.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

A Jewish family at my father's office are moving back to Israel because Obama was elected.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Jesus Freak wrote:A Jewish family at my father's office are moving back to Israel because Obama was elected.
so?
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Jesus Freak »

Ferno wrote:
Jesus Freak wrote:A Jewish family at my father's office are moving back to Israel because Obama was elected.
so?
Apparently Ron isn't enough to appease the Jews.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I first read your post as, \"now that we don't have this insane foreign policy, he feels safer living in Israel again.\" I guess my bias showed. :oops:

I mean, if he thought Obama was really going to screw Israel, why would he go back? It seems to me like he is taking a leap of faith on this new administration doing right by the Jews.

I am missing something fundamental.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Gooberman wrote:It seems to me like he is taking a leap of faith on this new administration doing right by the Jews.
o_O

Your bias is definitely showing. That is a real stretch.