What controller is the best for D3 these days?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

LimDul
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

What controller is the best for D3 these days?

Post by LimDul »

I downloaded D3 from gog.com after a 5 year absense from the game, and I need a controller. I haven't kept up with any new products, and I was fine with my ole Sidewinder PPro back in the day, so I might try to find one. But I was wondering if it's still the best to use, or if they have better ones now. Thanks!

Eric
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Pretty much ebay your favorite sidewinder, they remain the best controllers both in use and durability for most people (although even being more durable the bulk of us have become quite proficient at the spare parts game on them).
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

If you're skilled enough, you will do well with any controller. However, I've tried about half a dozen joysticks, and my favorite (Monkey and some others use it) is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I think it's better made than the Sidewinders, cause I went through multiple Sidewinders and have yet to break my Extreme 3d Pro. On the other hand, if you use the hat to slide, then you're going to run through a lot of joysticks no matter which brand. I use the kb to slide.

If you're going mouse, then personally my Logitech G5 works great. Behemoth even liked it.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

I'll recommend the Saitek X52, with the mouse stick set for sliding.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Grendel wrote:I spend the last three years going through aprox. 20 sticks from different manufactors. IMVHO the top two sticks from that period are the Logitech Freedom 2.4 and the M$ Sidewinder FF2 -- unfortunately both have some major drawbacks:

The F2.4 potentiometers have a [D3] half-live period of 3 months at best (if you don't break the hat assembly 1st..), the FF2 is not manufactured anymore and NIB spares run at $300 on eBay. The FF2 also has a weak hat assembly (not too bad if you're carefull, I just wore out a set of switches yet over 6 months) and a Rz pot w/ a D3 half-life of approx. 6-12 months.

My best experience w/ sticks so far was the [M$ SideWinder 3D Pro] -- my personal 3DP half-life is >2yr, and no stick ever came close to its unique handling (short throw..)
I wrote that in 2005, I don't know if the LogiTech sticks still use the crappy pots (I would guess they do.) Getting an extended warranty w/ a LT stick seems like a good plan.. The LT 3D Pro Extreme is almost the same as the F2.4, just wired.

All SideWinder sticks have optical pickups for X/Y, the 3DP, PP & FFP also sense Rz (twist) and the throttle optical. Hat switches are the same Omron switches used in virtually all joysticks.

If you used the PP in the past and are comfy w/ it, try to get one of eBay w/ the USB dongle.
ImageImage
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I'm using a Saitek Cyborg stick, but I modified the hat switch with a rubber O-ring to make it easier to keep my thumb in place when using it for ship side to side and up and down movements. I got tired of my thumb slipping off during hurried dodging of weapon fire. I was thinking of getting two sticks and mounting them on my chair, helicopter style, for control of the ship. DXX supports it, but does the gog version of Descent support it?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Pumo »

tunnelcat wrote:DXX supports it, but does the gog version of Descent support it?
It seems LimDul bought D3 (not D1/D2), so i think this wouldn't be an issue at all.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I loved my Cyborg, until the hat let go three hours into a game on Polaris, Great gimble, crappy switches. I would give you a recommendation, but only Bubba and I are dumb enuf to use flight control systems… :P
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Ranking the joysticks I've used from best to worst in my personal experience:

1. MS SideWinder Precision-Pro (great all-around stick, I love this one)
2. MS SideWinder 3DPro (same, just didn't fit my hand as well)
3. Logitech Extreme 3D-Pro (good stick, wears out a bit quicker than the others in my experience)
4. Saitek Cyborg Evo (switches crapped out after only a few hours of play)

As you can tell, it's really a matter of preference in a lot of areas. However, the thing that's always a consensus among Descent players is that if you're going to use a joystick, get one with the twist axis.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

I played without twist for so long :P Twist helps for crazy maneuvering when carrying the enemy flag back.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

What JF said. The Logitech G5 is money
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I also endorse the Logitech G5. I switched to it when I changed from joy to mouse about 3 months ago.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

Jesus Freak wrote:If you're skilled enough, you will do well with any controller. However, I've tried about half a dozen joysticks, and my favorite (Monkey and some others use it) is the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. I think it's better made than the Sidewinders, cause I went through multiple Sidewinders and have yet to break my Extreme 3d Pro. On the other hand, if you use the hat to slide, then you're going to run through a lot of joysticks no matter which brand. I use the kb to slide.

If you're going mouse, then personally my Logitech G5 works great. Behemoth even liked it.
I've used the hat to slide with a Precision Pro for 2 years before it broke. The Extreme 3D Pro is the closest thing to the Precision Pro (and more stable than Freedom 2.4). The Precision Pro always fit my hand better. The G5 was barely better than the old MX510 optical mouse. It's why I always say, if you have to get a Logitech mouse, go with the G9. =P Although I heard they improved the G5 from what it used to be.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

I used the MX518 for many months of hardcore FPS (CS: Source & UT2K4 primarily) gaming. I did very well on it with my GGL mouse pad. However, the Logitech G5 works better on more surfaces than the MX 518. After I upgraded, my aim was worse for about a week as I adjusted to the new mouse. The end result, though, is the G5 is a bit more precise than the MX518. There's no point in trying to get an MX518 when you can pick up a G5 for peanuts. I think I paid like $20 shipped for mine.

As for the G9, I can't comment on it since I haven't ever used or seen one in real life. The reviews look a bit mixed. I would give it a try if I weren't already happy with my G5.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I'm lovin my Saitek ST290 Pro. It's missing a button, but has 5 others plus a POV hat to make up for it. Cool rudder rotation and throttle, and it's cheap. I got mine for $5.
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by shaktazuki »

Has anyone tried any of the CH Products joysticks?

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/joysticks.html
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

shaktazuki wrote:Has anyone tried any of the CH Products joysticks?

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/joysticks.html
um yes.....and cough

By far the best!!!

Press the play button at the bottom right
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by shaktazuki »

That is some serious stuff. Well, come Christmas, I may have either a fighterstick or a combatstick.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Keyboard and mouse is the best way to go. :)
shaktazuki
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by shaktazuki »

Top Wop wrote:Keyboard and mouse is the best way to go. :)
If Logitech still made Wingman Extreme sticks, that would be the way I'd be going. That was the ultimate control for me. Darn hat switch breaks very easily, though. Never could pull off the mod to reinforce it.

Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Got one. No twist unfortunately. :(
ImageImage
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Grendel wrote:I don't know if the LogiTech sticks still use the crappy pots (I would guess they do.)
I had a wrist problem that kept me out of the game for quite a while. The wrist problem improved and I eagerly fired up descent, only to discover that yet another Logitech Extreme 3D-Pro had gone wonky on me. UGH! So yes, same problem with every one of them, STILL. I'm so angry I've refused to buy another and I haven't found a stick that I liked to replace it with. Well, that I like and don't choke when I see the price. :) Saitek looks REALLY NICE, but spending a hundred bucks on a joystick really sticks in my craw.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Jesus Freak »

shaktazuki wrote:
Top Wop wrote:Keyboard and mouse is the best way to go. :)
If Logitech still made Wingman Extreme sticks, that would be the way I'd be going. That was the ultimate control for me. Darn hat switch breaks very easily, though. Never could pull off the mod to reinforce it.

I've used one of those in the past. It's a fine joystick.