D1X problems?

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Mr_Blam0
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D1X problems?

Post by Mr_Blam0 »

Hello All! first time on here and I wanna play my old favorite games...Im having trouble patching Descent 1 to v 1.4 the patch file creates a couple of patch files and then looks for descentr.exe so it can patch it; that file doesn't get installed with the cd installation so the patcher can't find it and shuts down without continuing the patch so any .hog or .pig files do not get patched either. I have tried renaming the Descent.exe to Descentr.exe but no dice. The patcher says it could not find the file but it found a file with the same name and does not patch anything after realizing there is no real Descentr.exe file... So if anyone else has had this problem or knows how to GET a descentr.exe file lemme know..
Eat your peas, bud.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Descent.exe - isn't that just the shareware version?

PlanetDescent still has shareware 1.4.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

If it's the shareware version (as The Lion said), then that's the problem, as D1X-Rebirth requires the full 1.4a REGISTERED version to run.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Mr_Blam0
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mr_Blam0 »

Hey I downloaded the D1v1.4 shareware to compare files with the Descent CD I have. The .exe file there was something like descshar.exe and the .exe file installed from my CD is Descent.exe and not only that would a shareware CD have all the levels like mine does? I'm confuzzled... anyway here are the images maybe you can tell from this whether its a registered version or not.

Mr_Blam0
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mr_Blam0 »

found something new on my descent cd.. in the readme file on the cd it says that it is the full version of descent 1 v1.0 scrolling down though it says it's coded the same way as the shareware v1.2 so.. there lay my problem.. any ideas or have you heard of any fixes for this?
Eat your peas, bud.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Pumo wrote:If it's the shareware version (as The Lion said), then that's the problem, as D1X-Rebirth requires the full 1.4a REGISTERED version to run.

get a 1.4a copy. then patch to 1.5
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files/d1/patches/

Download and install the full version 1.0->1.4a patch, then 1.4a to 1.5. I suggest you use the \"DF\" links, since they don't require registration with FilePlanet.
Mr_Blam0
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Fix!

Post by Mr_Blam0 »

Maybe this is cheating... but I figure since i have an original copy that doesn't work and since parallax and interplay haven't been earning off D1 or D2 I just got my self a new image of a better Descent cd image from a Bitorrent app! It works.. And I think the shareware v1.2 coding interferes with the patches it's not going to work anyhow...
Sooo... now that I can actually PLAY where can we meet so I can learn how to dogfight all over again?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL!

well done. :lol:

Check This thread

For D1 and D2, I recommend Kali (half way down the page). most p2p venues are gone.
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Anyone else notice the \"SATURN\" files in those images? As in
Descent: Destination Saturn, the half-full version of Descent 1.
Or half empty in this case...

Anyway - I don't recommend Kali as it requires registration
even to just chat on their networks, sealing itself off from the
rest of the world. Plus, I heard that most people there don't
play much Descent either these days.

The dxx-rebirth IRC channel is also quiet most of the time, but
people regularly pop in there asking to play, only to leave after
just a few minutes. Others are idle most of the time. Still, if you
stick around someone will show up to play against.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

More people are playing D1 and D2 on kali these days because of D1x/D2x. And it's free to chat or play games but you can't host until you buy. It's 20$ for life.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Does Kali (read Jay Cotton) even process serial number purchases any more?