Windows Automatic Updates won't start

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Windows Automatic Updates won't start

Post by Sedwick »

Now when I start up my computer, a red shield with a white X on it shows up in my system tray, saying Automatic Updates is disabled, even though I don't remember ever doing so. I go into Control Panel and set it to automatic, but it still isn't enabled. hitting the Turn on Automatic Updates button in MS Security Center usually does nothing, but it doesn't sem to help even if it does change to \"on\". When I hit a link to check for the latest updates, I get an error page saying:

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

Find Solutions for this error code yields no results. So I go into Services and pull up the properties for Automatic Updates (which is disabled. The other two services mentioned above are running) and change it to Automatic and hit Apply. The Start button enables, and I hit it, only to see:

Also, if I just set it to Auto and OK out, close and reopen Services, that setting doesn't stick--it goes back to disabled! When I can set the Startup Type (it won't apply every time), then hit the Start the service link in Services, I get this:

Additionally, my Norton 360 logo is missing from my system tray, and when I try opening it from either the desktop shortcut or the Start menu, it takes several minutes to appear, if at all. New browser windows take longer to open, and I've been getting popups for Registry Defender.

Before all this madness ensued, at some point I tried enabling AU and it looked like it did some kind of scan and found several errors including 3 pieces of malware, two of which had \"trojan\" in the name. I tell it to fix now, and I get sent to a MS-looking site (onlineupdate.com or something like that), prompted to purchase MS Antivirus. I rebooted and am stuck in this situation I've just described.

Have I been hit with a virus or that IE hole that was supposed to be patched on the 17th? Can anyone please help?
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

My gut says Virus, especially with your AV disabled, many of the viruses I have heard of do this.

Sorry I can’t help you further, but I would definitely start with that as a distinct possibility.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You aren't going to be able to kill this one booting normally, start your system in safe mode with networking.

First run a COMPLETE antivirus scan using multiple scanners, I recommend AVG free and Antivir (also free) and run spybot search and destroy.

Once you have run all three, use system restore to roll back to a restore point from at least one day before this problem started, and then boot back into safe mode with networking repeat the whole scan process and if it is clean, you can try booting normally. Then I suggest you take a non-stop trip to windows update and apply EVERYTHING.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Thanks for the tips. I found this page, which tells of a situation that sounded exactly like mine. I did like some posters recommended and installed and ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It found over 100 infected items and seems to have removed them all. On reboot, AU service was running and a trip to the website wasn't blocked. I have no high-priority updates to install. Norton's still taking forever to open, though, so more as it develops...
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Glad to hear it, your AV is prolly corrupted or missing files now.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

You could be right--it's been over an hour since I tried launching it and it STILL has yet to appear. The last time it came up the Security section was very bare. I'm going to attempt a reinstall.