DTX and replacement of music/textures

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

DTX and replacement of music/textures

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

DTX for Descent 1 had a rudimentary patch feature that allowed a developer to include a PIG patch file with a mission pack for Descent 1 and a program called DTXPATCH that made a backup copy of the original Descent.pig and modified the first one with your new material, thus having 'custom' textures/music in Descent 1. Problem is, the DTXPatch program no longer works on XP or new OS. So not sure how to get this 'function' of DTX to work again. Furthermore, if its possible to 'patch' the Descent.pig file with new textures and music like so, isn't it possible to 'patch' Descent 1 robots with new ones? What is the feasibility of this?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think the DTX site is still operational. Give it a try and e-mail ol' what'shisface.

DTX was an awesome tool
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

The Problem with such a patch I might add is that it:
a) Might only work with 1.0 or 1.4a or 1.5
b) Will probably be an EXE file
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I remember the original old D1X project had support for POG & HXM files for D1 (so you wouldn't need to use a DTX patch).
Check out this:

http://d1x.warpcore.org/readmed1x.txt

On version 1.00 says something about that.
I also remembered that you can put your HXM files (as long as it only contains D1 robot entries) and rename it to something like .HX1 to work (can't remember well).

However, i don't know if this feature is still present on D1X-Rebirth.

EDIT: Found this on Devil 2.2lc2 site about D1X features support:
Devil will automatically add any PG1/DTX and HX1 files belonging to the level which is found in the level's directory.
For example, the files:

* MYLEVEL.RDL
* MYLEVEL.PG1 (or MYLEVEL.DTX or DEVIL.PG1 or DEVIL.DTX)
* MYLEVEL.HX1 (or DEVIL.HX1)

will all be added to the HOG file if they are present in the same directory.
This will allow you to develop levels using D1X with custom textures and customize robots.
Check this URL for original reference (it'a a Google cache page):

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:zj- ... cd=1&gl=mx

So i hope D1X-Rebirth to have this good old feature from original D1X. :)
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Hmm it's true D1X-Rebirth supports this code, still. However I have no idea how *good* this works.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I can see that its possible. Because I'd like players to have the option to 'turn on' whenever they wish, new music, textures AND robots for Descent 1. Not just for the 50 level set I'm currently making, but it should be appliable to any other D1 mission set. So this, essentially can breath fresh air into all D1 missions, not just my upcoming one. I'm currently looking through hi-res Quake 2/3 textures for good matches to the existing D1 textures (Forgotten Fortress was a test subject in this) but I can't seem to find matches for all, which means I have to broaden my scope.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You can put new robots in D1 by modifying the stock .PIG, yes. I don't know whether DTX will let you go that far, but it's theoretically possible at least.

P.S. Using DTX patches in that D1X-introduced mode (.HX1 etc) is not supported by the original Parallax code - ergo if anyone is still using Descent 1.4a/1.5 - I doubt it, but it's worth knowing about - they won't be able to use it.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

I agree. For for the DOS versions there would need to exist a Patch-the-PIG solution. Guess just shipping the modified PIG would not be very legal as long as not EVERYTHING would be re-created.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well I guess redistributed an entire PIG I guess is legal in this case since I'd be replacing every robot, every textures and every midi. What else is in there? Because basically, itd be a PIG file with nothing of the original content in it. Problem is the robots. I'm not sure there is a program out there that can replace D1 robots. DTX can help patch the PIG, but for editing the Descent 1 PIG directly and replacing all textures/music/robots, I do not know of a way to do this.

Also, Sirius, if this entire plan is feasible, I'll be using the entire cast of TEW robots, so a few texture alterations are probably in order to make it gel with the limited amount of robot textures Descent 1 has available. The bosses of TEW, unfortunately, two are going to make the cut, while the others are dropped. I'm thinking Boss 1: The Raptor and boss 6: Hangman are the neatest looking and are probably going to be our two boss candidates.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Well, as said - if you replace ALL content of the PIG, no problem. :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

yes, now here's the problem, how do we directly edit the PIG? :P
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Well at least for custom Music I could say: Ship them as MP3/OGG so at least the new ports (XL, DXX) can play them directly. Not trying to be selfish, but we all face more and more problems getting HMP/MIDI running (observation based on user reports).
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well, for the moment, all I have to say is: everyone states its theoretically possible to alter the main PIG file, but no one has any idea in actually doing it.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Yeah I have to admit I am not aware of any tools - except Devil as Pumo mentioned.
But creating whole D1 PIGs from scratch might be another story.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well, unless I have a surefire way of creating such a PIG, I'm not investing any more time into textures/music/robots right now until I know it can be done 100%
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

If we were to convert TEW robots for Descent 1, do D1 robots have the ability to fire two types of weapons like D2 robots can? Or was that a feature added in Descent 2?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

That was added on D2, as well as energy blobs, sniper behaviour, and some other stuff (like boss invul. flags).
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

good to know. Anyhoo, just playing around in rbotedit and comparing what is actually there in the descent.pig. Not sure how to actually import them into the pig physically however.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

There may actually not be any tool to do it... the specs are there, but the only editors for most of the Descent package files except .HOG were made by DNet from my memory, and I don't recall any for .PIG files. DTX can manipulate textures within PIG files but I think it ignores everything else.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

I remember making a d1 level w/quake 2 textures and d1x automatically used the patch file as long as the file names were the same as the rdl file or mission if only 1 map.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

so let me get this straight, for new textures and music, etc. All I need is the .DX1 extension file with the same name as the mission to have it work with Rebirth, etc?
Furthermore, for new robots, should I create a HXM trying my very best to only stick with D1 related material (since RBOTEDIT includes D2 stuff and has eliminated some D1 material) and simply rename it to a HX1 file and it should run fine? I'm confused as to how it'll work.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Good point ... the D2 robot data format must have changed from D1 since it supports new weapons, so if it's HXM-based D1X would have to have some method of dealing with the non-D1 data...
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

I actually never worked with the code or this feature. If someone is willing to try it, I am willing to fix or improve. But I can only test - I cannot create those datas.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

then I shall help you test it.
:D