Sad ...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Sad ...

Post by Iceman »

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Hey, now, don't diss Atan's level. :P
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Yup, I haven't loaded D3 in 2 months now.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

JMEaT wrote:Yup, I haven't loaded D3 in 2 months now.
Maybe if more of you folks would play there could be more good games going. ;) I believe that screenshot was taken in the morning, though, when newbie levels are occupied by newbies, and chat is occupied by everyone else who isn't actively working or in school.

Atan's level shouldn't be dissed.. it should be condemned. :P
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

doesn't matter thorne, when I first wake up (5:30pm PST) there aren't anything but newbie levels being played. I close D3 and find something else to do.

It's a vicious cycle that's been going on for about... oh... 6 months or more.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Try a year and a half
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

I played last night, my first time in a few months

I was playing horribly, however, I somehow managed to get a 75%effic (must have been a ton of noobs)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

You can find games if you want em bad enough. The difference is, you gotta hustle em up in chat now. They're not just sitting there waiting for ya.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

ok pun, sure, some of us do that once in a while, but I've also sat in servers for hours on end and gotten little to nothing out of it. (based on peeps in chat sayin they will play and never show)
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

i'll play when i feel like it and i'm the poster child chat whore. just let me know. i'll bring it as best i can.
KtheC'
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by KtheC' »

That pic is one of the reasons I stopped playing D3.
I use to play every morning before work for a bit and there were always peeps playing. It seemed like it stopped over night.
It got to be more difficult to find game that weren't the same-ol same-ol.
So I gave it up.
Oh well
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

what needs to happen is 1.5 needs to drop pxo support and xfer everything over to gamespy
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I dunno. Whenever I feel like playing, I can always scrape up 3 people to hop in a server. Once you get 4 in a server, more always come. Hell, last night Scratch, Fezzik and I hopped in an Indika and within 5 minutes there were 10 people in there.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

this was taken just now
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

ccb056 wrote:what needs to happen is 1.5 needs to drop pxo support and xfer everything over to gamespy
I won't even comment on that one. gayspy speaks for itself.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I quit playing regularly because I didnt feel welcome and it wasnt fun anymore.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

the whole multiplayer aspect isn't fun to me. So I stick to Single player and 1 on 1 matches for the select few I play against.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

yea, i know this only gunna get this moved to the nhb ;) but the BS towards D3k players has lost a fair chunk of activity for D3...
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Not welcome?!

Pun <3's Krommy and Haagy and all of teh D3k!
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

oh not me really, im too lazy. theres too few players playing when i am these days, plus my comp really sucks, its just too annoying. summer shall be here and then ill play :D
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

hey, instead of complaining about how little people play D3, why don't you stop posting and start playing :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Because the welcoming committee always leaves the game when we join.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I will always play you Krom. I figure I could use a good lesson every now and then.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

you ever play Resination Krom?
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Let's all just pick a night in the near future where we all agree to load up D3 and play awhile.

Maybe some of us will remember how fun it is and play more often.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Age Old Argument- I've been hearing this for over a year now and no matter when you go on PXO, the same games are always being played. So if so many people are looking for different games why are the same ones being played. And it doesn't matter if some good, seldom played levels are up, they still go unplayed. I like to play and if one of those often played levels is up and no ones in the other ones, guess what, I'm playing!
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

I quit playing because whoever is left is REAL GOOD. It's like impossible to get good at D3 now.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I hear ya, Krom. I personally would jump at the chance to play you, though. And the same thing goes for most other good players. If I ever stop playing, it'll be because I've gotten tired of people always leaving games when I beat them. I've had thoughts of starting to just pick a server and sit in it, but, unfortunately, I'm afraid this is how it would go (based on experience):

[insert name] has joined the anarchy
Sergeant Thorne says: Hi
[insert name] says: hi
[insert name] was killed by Sergeant Thorne!
Sergeant Thorne targets [insert name] for mass destruction!
Sergeant Thorne takes out [insert name]!
Sergeant Thorne has an amazing efficiency of 100%!
[insert name] has left the game
[insert next name] has joined the anarchy

Together with a few of the following: "[insert some spiteful statement about me enjoying picking on a newbie]" (when did skill segregation come into play? I was also once a "newbie"), "you cheat!", "sorry, I don't play with cheaters", "you're too good for me", "this is no fun", "I can't compete"...

D3 is still fun for me, and I have to keep in mind that that's what it's all about.

Sage: if that's the way you look at it, it is impossible. I was always undeterable. ;)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Sage wrote:I quit playing because whoever is left is REAL GOOD. It's like impossible to get good at D3 now.
It's ideologies like this that lead to the downfall of Descent. Too many players who showed up with this same type of thinking when in fact it's a half ass backwards way to look at descent.

By playing the best, you in turn learn more. You have to take your lumps to become better, you can't just instantly be good at a game and you don't improve by playing the really easy players. Skill and ability is earned, and only by earning ability do you learn what it takes to be skilled.

Ice's screenshot is about what I see anywhere from 1:00 - 2:00am all the way until about the afternoon where some levels get a little bit more activity. ccb's screenshot is about what I see anywhere from 6:00pm - 7:00pm and lasts until most of the kiddies have to go to bed.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

you have to agree with sage to an extent - its very hard to learn when you die as soon as you respawn.

often in my case being my computer is such a POS, im dead before i even know if i have spawned... :x
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Actually Thorne, you would be lucky to get 2 kills in a row on them before they left. Most of the times I used to do that whoever joined would quit after the first time I killed them.

& Ferno, never heard of it, I kinda burned out on video games a while ago.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Every time I jump in chat and say "Let's play", I get silence, or "OK, meet you in Skybox!!" Like I'd ever play that level. I'd rather not play at all than play the 'popular' levels. Which is exactly what I've been doing. Not playing.

I used to go into the Kata 1v1 server, load u pon lasers and concs, and just hang until someone showed up. I have a stand-alone game box, so I'd do something else whilst waiting. Of all the decent pilots in chat, none stop by. I get all newbs, who either don't hang for long, like Thorne said(tho' I don't use MD or Vauss on them, just Plasma/Micro/Blues), or they stay the whole game, but it's generally un-entertaining when I can't miss. When I'm throwing Plasma at the same fire rate as Fusion, and still holding 80%...it's not very inspiring.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Cool, my servers are listed in those screen shots and have players in them!
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Sage, that is about the lamest excuse I've ever heard. If that's the case, then nobody should ever load up this game and try to learn it. Everyone on my team knows they gotta take their lumps and, if they don't, they'll never learn. Case in point. We play the D3TL Tournament schedule and have some pretty damn good pilots on this team. A week ago we got shut out by [TA] 20-0 in Halcyon CTF. The next night [NT] beat us 20-2. But we didn't give up. The next week we played {ROX} 20-5. Granted, it's only 3 or 4 members playing the game, but it shows the rest of the team that there is always room for improvement, whether it be on a team or individual level. It's all about attitude, dude.

To answer Krom, Thorne and some others. Yea, I guess it must be pretty frustrating. Unfortunately, there are a lot of newbies out there now whose egos are too fragile to take one or two kills. Hell, even my guys get called hackers on a regular basis. Must be something about that [NuB] tag. :D Anyway, drop into the Rookie Lobby and ask for a game. I'm sure some of my guys will take you up on it. May not be quite to the caliber you'd expect, but I'm sure you'll get a game. You might even get a surprise. We're like Avis, "We try harder". :D

As far as level selection goes, sorry, I don't have any answers. Yes we, as a team, are guilty of playing what some of you might call "samo, lamo" levels. But, there's a method to the madness. Our main effort is to get new players comfortable in the game so that they will stay with it. And we use Shiva's SOD a lot because none of our members have the resources to put up a server that will handle a lot of people. Yes, the SOD's suck to some degree and the game list is limited, but it's all we have at the moment. I too get discouraged, when I'm looking for a game, to see 5 Stadium and 3 Skybox levels and not much else. And all the good levels are full. Whatever happened to the level request thing that I think Strsstest was running? Did it die for lack of players? If so, why? If you want different levels maybe you should contact Esa or Spooty or use Do_Checkor's server forum to request some. I know the Server-Op's don't like putting up levels that nobody's going to play. So, maybe you should take up Jon-the-Great's suggestion, pick a night, get a server, and play. And quit whining about it.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Bah whatever...right now is the easiest time to play Descent. The majority of the players who still play are sub-average skill wise at best. Rewind a few years back when D3 was still relatively alive? None of these new generation pansies would stand a chance at all. Now they manage to rack up a 55% effiency against newbs in Skybox and they think they're the shiz.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

Krom wrote:I quit playing regularly because I didnt feel welcome and it wasnt fun anymore.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

*EDIT*

blah, screw it. not worth getting flamed by the "leets"
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

Beowulf wrote:Bah whatever...right now is the easiest time to play Descent. The majority of the players who still play are sub-average skill wise at best. Rewind a few years back when D3 was still relatively alive? None of these new generation pansies would stand a chance at all. Now they manage to rack up a 55% effiency against newbs in Skybox and they think they're the shiz.
comments like that irk the crap out of me. ya know what, the newer pilots (like myself) that have come to d3 obviously don't stand a chance against the few elitist pigs out there. wanna know why? cuz you're too manly and full of yourself to lower your standards and play a n00b.

i'll give my props to Testi, WarAdvocate, IceHammer and a couple others who at least attempt to finish a game with n00bs in it regardless if they're racking up the kills or scoring 90% efficiency :P

i'm not playing this game to be the best (although it's always in the back on my mind to try to be), i play it to have fun and try to be a little bit of competition for the large headed, thumb sucking, whining elite out there.

forgive me for not having more "skills" so i won't waste your precious time playing this game but some of us play cuz we enjoy the game and the fellow pilots in it.

so here's a big "up yours" to the pilots out there that think n00bs aren't worth playing. :x
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

The main reason I don't play much any more is that other games have come along and captured my attention. I don't hate Descent, it is all the people who play that make the game great. As long as they are still around, Descent will still rock in my book.
Plague
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Plague »

The only thing keeping me from playing more is the fact that I keep breaking hat switches. It was annoying me so much that I've quit playing for a couple of months now. I need something to play, as UT2004 is too choppy online and I rarely have a chance to hop on my brother's desktop (must... get... new... computer). I'm going to switch to a new config where all the sliding is done on the keyboard. Then I won't have to worry about the stupid HAT switches. It's just finally gotten to the point where I don't care if I'm horrible for a few weeks.