Quake Descent Texture pack + Enemy Within bots for Descent 1

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

What do you think of the mods?

They're awesome!
33%
They look great.
33%
Interesting
17%
Descent 1 shouldn't be tampered with!
17%

Total votes: 6
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Quake Descent Texture pack + Enemy Within bots for Descent 1

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

This is a project made in about a month's time and utilizing hires textures from various online sources made for the ID Software game: Quake 2. For the most part, the game had mostly browns as its color palette, but the hires textures brought a few new colors to the fray. Furthering that, I ported over a lot of the textures and altered some coloring to make it more compatible with the Descent textures that they were to be replacing.

A major note: Not every instance was I able to find a 1 to 1 match (in my mind anyway) for every single texture, there are a few repeats and there are some textures where although the 'color' scheme was kept, the overall 'design' of the texture was not. The green cracked rock wall for instance was replaced with an entirely new metal based looking texture, however, the new texture kept its 'green' overtones to keep with the overall theme of that texture. Indeed, there are a few textures where there isn't any replacement, in which case, I left those textures alone, examples of this is the robot matcen and reactor textures.

This set, although cool to look at, isn't necessarily ideal for the First Strike mission where texture use and alignment wasn't a big issue for the developers, as evidenced when playing through with the new textures. Not to say its all bad though, it still looks awesome, just a few instances where you're like: that's odd choice of texture. But I really did do my best to match every texture to a new one. So really, this texture set is mainly meant for further D1 developers (or if converting these to D2), D2 developers to play with and make levels with and use the set to its full potential like I am below:

You can download the file here and export it to your textures/d1 folder. This requires D2-XL to work!

http://www.descent2.de/downloads/mods/descent-mod.rar

Also included in the rar are modified robot stats/models and conversions to be more compatible for Descent 1. This makes Descent 1 a good deal harder, but should provide excellent challenge for elite players. This is currently a working copy of the final HXM, so if there are any changes requested to be made before making this 'final,' feel free to suggest it to make it more fair. Things that are off limits to request: weapon assignment, I like the loadout each robot now has for Descent 1. Everything else is free game, like: \"I would like it if there was more delay in Mega Missile firing of this robot or: make this robot slower or increased reaction time, I want it to drop 'this' most of the time, etc.\"
So enjoy playing around with it, and remember all this requires D2-XL to work!
Here's an update to the hxm file, it should be more fair to players:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2wjjd5evjtm/descent.hxm
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

The original Keg party for D2 was done with Quake textures. :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

It certainly looks really pretty.

By the way, how many efforts to remake D1\\2 textures have been done\\are being worked on that released their textures for anyone to use?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well there is the one Novacron worked on, its not entirely complete, but it'll do. And this one.
Also, an updated enemy robot HXM:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2wjjd5evjtm/descent.hxm
This one vastly improves the difficulty of the new robots in Descent 1. Before it was a bit 'too' hard. Now its more manageable.
Remember to put this in your mods/descent folder to enable D2-XL to see it and utilize it in Descent 1.