advice needed

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

advice needed

Post by VonVulcan »

I have a dilemma, The company I work for sends drivers to different shipping ports on a regular basis, delivering shipping containers. Due to the ever increasing security issues and Home Land Defense B.S. there is a new security card/back ground check deal and without this card called TWIX, you can't gain access to the port. The drivers that do this kind of work have their TWIX cards. Due to a fluke, 3 of the drivers that have TWIX cards were not at work today and we were one TWIX driver short. Management freaked. Now there are many drivers that would have to do this work before I would have to. Not all of these drivers are being required to get these cards. It is about as likely that this work would get to me under ANY scenario as hell freezing over. Call me paranoid but I don't want my personal info, finger prints ect. in some government database for no good reason.

I need some suggestions on how to argue my position. I am not good at it.

A little background... approx 30 drivers.
I'm 3rd from the top seniority wise. 18 years service.
Excellent attendance and performance record.
Good rapport with management.
I am not objecting to being assigned the work.
My objection is being put in this database needlessly.
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

If you have a good rapport with management, keep it quite and talk to them in private on your concerns. Don't stir up your co-workers.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hm..

I understand your concern. Knowing you personally for a number of years and sharing the same concerns.

i have a couple of answers.

1) I was enlisted in the Air force back in the 80's. All that info is outdated (for the most part), but they still have it. However, I've never been bothered by the Feds. If you were in the service Vuclan, I wouldn't worry about it. if you've bought a gun and had a back ground check done, I wouldn't worry about it. If you ever needed to \"disappear\", it's not so hard. The movies make it look easier to find where you are than it really is. MOST government agencies (I will include HLS)don't have access or the ability to access every database that holds this info. Nor do they know it's there. It would take them months to gather enough info to track a normal person down that isn't listed in the phone book. I have other reasons, but I'll pm those to you later tonight.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

'a good reason' = getting your job done

That's the way your boss will probably look at it unless he's also concerned about having his data in the system like you are.

\"no good reason\" would be if they wanted you in the system and you weren't going to access the ports....

I'd go ahead and do it since my data is already in numerous other branches of their system just like yours probably is also.

Besides, the Feds usually never find anyone they look for unless that someone is dead or found by a city or county cop first!
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Is this a 1 or 2 day scenario where the company would be short of the carded drivers? If so, just take a couple of sick days off. :wink:

For a longer duration, are there independent drivers you could outsource the job to?
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

It's a kneejerk reaction to a one time issue.
There are already 3 drivers in the process of
getting these cards he may not even be aware of.

Will, I fully understand getting the job done, read my post.
It is about as likely that this work would get to me under ANY scenario as hell freezing over.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

If it's highly unlikely you would be asked to drive one of these trucks I wouldn't worry about it too much. No sense in worrying about something remote that might happen. I understand your concern, and yes, all this information is probably already scattered about and accessible, but by doing this does put all current information in one place that could be brought up in a moment.

If the situation arises, I would just simply say I wasn't comfortable with divulging that much personal information and then read their response. It may be they don't make a big deal of it and simply ask someone else. If they push then you have a decision to make.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

woodchip wrote: For a longer duration, are there independent drivers you could outsource the job to?
Not my call.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Grow cahones and tell your employer when the ★■◆● hits the fan you'll be well outta the way.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Also, do you have the required class C drivers license?
If not then you cannot legally drive for the company.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Oh please...

With endorsements T & N
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time