Decimals to Fractions

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Decimals to Fractions

Post by SilverFJ »

I've never been very good at math (never passed a math class in my life, not even pre-algebra, I guess my brain refuses to accept it...), but I know this board is riddled with ****ing geniuses, so I was curious. I was checking out my profile page out of boredom and it said I had \"0.66% of total\" for my posts, so out of how many posts on this board would I be responsible for in the fraction form?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

0.66% = .0066 = 66/10000 (66 of every 10000), though there's probably some rounding involved in that \"0.66%\".
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

reduce it to it's lowest denominator 33/5000
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

To convert a decimal to a fraction:

A) If the decimal doesn't repeat (example: .00335)
- count the digits after the decimal place (in this case, 5)
- put the original number over a 1 with that many zeros after it (00335/100000 -- five zeros. Remember a decimal number is just a way to say you have however many tenths, hundredths, thousandths, etc.)
- reduce the fraction, if possible (67/20000 -- both numerator and denominator can be divided by 5)

B) If the decimal does repeat (example: .18181818 and so on)
- count the number of repeating digits (in this case, 2)
- put the number of repeating digits over the same number of 9's (18/99). This works because 1/99 = 1/100 + 1/10000 + 1/1000000 + ...
- reduce, if possible (2/11 -- divide both by 9)

C) If a decimal has leading zeros (example: .000181818 repeating)
- count the number of leading zeros, and put them as trailing zeros in the denominator (2/11000 -- the same as 2/11 * 1/1000)

D) If the decimal is mixed (example: .13518181818 and so on, repeating 18's)
- split the decmial into repeating and non-repeating parts (example: .135 + .00018181818)
- deal with each part as above (135/1000 + 2/11000)
- put everything over a common denominator and combine (135*11 = 1485, so 1485/11000+2/11000 = 1487/11000)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

AlphaDoG wrote:reduce it to it's lowest denominator 33/5000
True! My impression was that he is asking for a common-man measure of what 0.66% means, which is why I left it as an "x in 10,000".
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

your post count = 0.66E-2*(total posts on the board)

On a side note, what do you do that does not demand basic math?
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

I can add and subtract fairly well and devide by 5s pretty good...

I'm a foreman at a fish processing plant in Alaska. My job mainly consists of machine operation, training, supervision, and basically being a hard-ass bastard punisher... The most math I have to do is how much fish we need to process and the poundage of fish processed devided by 5 (5lb is the average weight of an adult sockeye). Lot numbers (seperate boatloads of fish) begin with a number code for a certain boat and you just add 01 for each new lot. Other than that it's just negotiating break times with other departments.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

That's further than I've ever seen it taken. I guess I never really encountered a repeating decimal that I needed to convert exactly.

Thanks!
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

lol, these are the sort of answers you would get from math geniuses . . .

While 66 / 10000 may be exactly correct and may answer the original question, it's not really something the intellect can easily grab on to. What I would do in this case is take the decimal -- .66%, or 0.0066 -- and put it in the calculator, and hit the 1/x key. It says, \"151.5151 . . . \".

With a little rounding, that means that roughly one out of 150 posts is yours.

(<--- so totally an engineer these days. Thus the math genius bashing. ;) )
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I'm with Drakona on this one. Then again, being an engineer, I'm totally lost without my calculator. The funniest thing I've seen in a long time is watching someone who isn't familiar with reverse polish try and use an HP calculator. I don't care who you are, that true entertainment right there. :lol:
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I'm lost with a calculator. Haha.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If calculators are anathema, of course, you could always just do 10000/66 in long division. Or in your head - that works too.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

...and for the record you all are ★■◆●ing confusing and I still dont understand it...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Decimals to Fractions

Post by Dakatsu »

SilverFJ wrote:I've never been very good at math (never passed a math class in my life, not even pre-algebra, I guess my brain refuses to accept it...), but I know this board is riddled with ****ing geniuses, so I was curious. I was checking out my profile page out of boredom and it said I had "0.66% of total" for my posts, so out of how many posts on this board would I be responsible for in the fraction form?
Alright, I'll try to explain it really slowly.

Firstly, you have 0.66% - which is out of 100%

To turn 100% into one whole piece, which would be the number one, you would divide 100 by 100 to get 1.

Hence, 0.66 divided by 100 is 0.0066. Out of every piece, your posts are 0.0066 of one.

So, to convert this into a fraction, it would be your posts over the whole piece, which would be 0.0066/1.

To convert this from a decimal, you'd multiply the whole fraction by the lowest number required to eliminate the decimal, which would be 5000. This fraction would turn into 33/5000.

So, out of every 5000 posts, 33 are yours.

(I am in the International Baccalaureate Program, if I didn't know this crap I'd be getting straight Fs.)
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

i think we have a troll, this is fractions......
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Ok I think I get it thanks Dakatsu!

edit--Hey ccb not everybody is as omniscient as yourself...sorry if I've polluted your time and board space with with my silly interest in things simple to you. ★■◆●.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by ccb056 »

SilverFJ wrote:Ok I think I get it thanks Dakatsu!

edit--Hey ccb not everybody is as omniscient as yourself...sorry if I've polluted your time and board space with with my silly interest in things simple to you. *****.
yup, a troll
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

ccb056 wrote:

edit--Hey ccb not everybody is as omniscient as yourself...sorry if I've polluted your time and board space with with my silly interest in things simple to you. *****.
yup, a troll
Yeah, the kind of trolls with 1531 posts :roll:
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I think he means me. I'm the troll. You can only permanently damage me with fire or acid.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Lothar wrote:I think he means me. I'm the troll. You can only permanently damage me with fire or acid.
yeah and who every really carries around enough acid to entirely disolve an 8 to 9 foot troll?!? o_0
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Re:

Post by SilverFJ »

ccb056 wrote:

yup, a troll
A troll with 3 years of this board on you as well...
Not like thats some kinda status symbol but screw off man, I was just asking a question. If you walked around insulting people all the time for no reason you'd go home with a black eye every day. :lol:
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Re:

Post by SilverFJ »

Duper wrote:
Lothar wrote:I think he means me. I'm the troll. You can only permanently damage me with fire or acid.
yeah and who every really carries around enough acid to entirely disolve an 8 to 9 foot troll?!? o_0
Oh yeah, me, I carry that ★■◆● in a camel-pak in case I run across a troll.
grizz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by grizz »

SilverFJ wrote:I can add and subtract fairly well and devide by 5s pretty good...

I'm a foreman at a fish processing plant in Alaska. My job mainly consists of machine operation, training, supervision, and basically being a hard-ass bastard punisher... The most math I have to do is how much fish we need to process and the poundage of fish processed devided by 5 (5lb is the average weight of an adult sockeye). Lot numbers (seperate boatloads of fish) begin with a number code for a certain boat and you just add 01 for each new lot. Other than that it's just negotiating break times with other departments.
What part of Alaska? My wife's born and raised in Wasilla, (she was Sarah Palin's basketball team manager in high school) and worked an ultra- processor for a while. Her brother's chief steward on one now.

I've had some good times halibut fishing Cooke Inlet, climbing Matanuska Glacier, fighting off monster mosquitos, etc.

And outside of shop trig, I ain't that great with math myself, though I have a son who plays with advanced calculus problems for fun. (He's an engineering major, computer science minor):P
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Naknek (herring, sockeye), Ketchukan (halibut), and then Sitka (pink, coho).

Just never go halibut fishin' in a rowboat and u'll be good :P :lol: