Descent 1 Joystick Issue

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 1 Joystick Issue

Post by raekwonchef »

Gang,

I have Descent 1 running on a P3 733 MHz PC with 128MB RAM. The mobo is a Gigabyte with an ISA slot, so I am using a Soundblaster Vibra 16 ISA soundcard. I have the Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick running through the soundcard's game port. Everything seems to work fine with the joytick set in the single dot position using CH Flishtstick Pro in the controls menu. Everything is working aside from the fact that I can't seem to slide in any direction, using the hat switch, and also shoot at the same time. It's like the slide control on the hat switch prevents the trigger button from operating. As soon as I stop sliding, I can shoot. Any ideas? Is this normal behavior? The game seems more difficult than it used to be as I seem to remember being able to slide a circle around an enemy and shoot it at the same time. Might I need to slow the PC down, or could there be other timing issues? Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!! :?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

OS Win98SE?
Dx 8?
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

DOS 6.22
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

What version of descent?
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

Readme says 1.5 of the registered version. I tried to patch yesterday and everything replaced aside from the descentr.exe file. It said no old file could be found, so no update was done. When I run and then exit descentr.exe it says 1.4a May 2, 1995. For some reason the 1.5 patch failed? Thanks, guys.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/?Downloads:DXX-Rebirth

Go and download this into your Descent folder and look over the readme.
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

Thanks, but I have heard of Rebirth, but would prefer to have the original game. I found another version of the game (an ISO and yes I own the orignal it's just beyond scratched up) and have it installed and patched to version 1.5. I am still having the same issue. Any ideas? :(

P.S. I AM supposed to be able to shoot and slide at the same time, no?!
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=14791

You'll need one of these for the sidewinder to work.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: Descent 1 Joystick Issue

Post by Grendel »

raekwonchef wrote:I have the Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick running through the soundcard's game port. Everything seems to work fine with the joytick set in the single dot position using CH Flishtstick Pro in the controls menu. Everything is working aside from the fact that I can't seem to slide in any direction, using the hat switch, and also shoot at the same time. It's like the slide control on the hat switch prevents the trigger button from operating. As soon as I stop sliding, I can shoot. Any ideas? Is this normal behavior?
Heh, a blast from the past -- this is normal behavior for a CH joystick (or one that emulates a CH stick). Fortunately someone seems to archive old usenet posts, here's what I wrote about the 3DP & Descent back in '96:
Grendel wrote:Hi 3DP user,

if you're having trouble getting your new joystick to work with Descent, you may find some help in this little article.

Please note that I don't use/have/will get Win95, so all info is in DOS scope.

1. General information:
-----------------------

Descent can be controlled by your 3DP in 'analog mode' only (ie. you can't use the 4 base buttons and the hat-switch operates 4-way only), emulating a CH Flighthstick Pro series stick or a Thrustmaster stick depending of the position of the little switch on the bottom of the 3DP (pos I => CH, pos II => TM).

Because CH and TM use different methods of passing hat positions to games, there're differences how the slider, hat and buttons are handled during gameplay:

- in CH mode you can't press more than 1 button simultanousely, eg. if you press the hat up, the trigger won't react until you release the hat

- in TM mode the slider will be disabled, 'cause the hat positions are mapped to fixed Y2 values

Just a note lifted from the 3DP's README: 'The Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-1 (SB 16 SCSI) game port is incompatible with SideWinder 3D Pro in both analog and digital modes.' ...

2. How to configure Descent or Descent ][ ID for use w/ the 3DP in CH mode:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- set the mode switch to pos I, turn on your comp and start Descent
- in Options.../Controls... move to the CH Flightstick Pro check box and press space to activate it
- in Options.../Controls.../Configure Above move to the throttle field in the Axis section, press enter and move the slider -- the field should now read Y2
- assign the rest of the controls, I, eg., use the twist option of the stick to Bank l/r
- when leaving Configure..., you'll be asked to calibrate stick #1, do so. For stick #2, upper left = slider up/wrist turn left, lower left = slider down/wrist turn right, center = slider center/wrist center

3. How to configure Descent ][ ID for use w/ the 3DP in TM mode:
----------------------------------------------------------------

- set the mode switch to pos II, turn on your comp and start Descent ][ ID
- in Options.../Controls... move to the Thrustmaster FCS & Wingman Extreme check box and press space
- in Options.../Controls.../Configure Above move to the Bank l/r field (or whatever you want to assign) in the Axis section, press enter and turn the stick -- the field should now read X2
- assign the rest of the controls
- when leaving Configure..., you'll be asked to calibrate stick #1, do so. Now you'll be ask to calibrate X2, do so.

4. How to configure Descent for use w/ the 3DP in TM mode:
----------------------------------------------------------

- execute all steps described at pos 2.

- leave Descent and TYPE DESCENT.CFG -- search the lines starting with 'Joystick....', eg. mine are reading
JoystickMin=11,11,12,12
JoystickCen=286,290,286,286
JoystickMax=550,565,557,557
- write down the 3rd value of each line (eg. 12, 286, 557)
- unplug your 3DP, set the mode switch to pos II, replug the 3DP and start Descent again
- in Options.../Controls... move to the Thrustmaster FCS & Wingman Extreme check box and press space
- in Options.../Controls.../Configure Above move to the Bank l/r field (or whatever you want to assign) in the Axis section, press enter and turn the stick -- the field should now read X2
- when leaving Configure..., you'll be asked to calibrate stick #1, do so.
- leave Descent and EDIT DESCENT.CFG -- search the lines starting with 'Joystick....', eg. mine are reading
JoystickMin=11,11,0,0
JoystickCen=261,292,0,170
JoystickMax=550,566,0,340
- see that the 3rd value of each line reads 0 ? Ok, now replace these 0's by the values you wrote down:
JoystickMin=11,11,12,0
JoystickCen=261,292,286,170
JoystickMax=550,566,557,340
- save the modifications
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by raekwonchef »

flip wrote:http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=14791

You'll need one of these for the sidewinder to work.
Why exactly would I need a gameport to USB adapter for Descent 1? The game, in DOS, does not support USB joysticks to my knowledge!? Am I wrong?!
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Descent 1 Joystick Issue

Post by raekwonchef »

Grendel wrote:2. How to configure Descent or Descent ][ ID for use w/ the 3DP in CH mode:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

- set the mode switch to pos I, turn on your comp and start Descent
- in Options.../Controls... move to the CH Flightstick Pro check box and press space to activate it
- in Options.../Controls.../Configure Above move to the throttle field in the Axis section, press enter and move the slider -- the field should now read Y2
- assign the rest of the controls, I, eg., use the twist option of the stick to Bank l/r
- when leaving Configure..., you'll be asked to calibrate stick #1, do so. For stick #2, upper left = slider up/wrist turn left, lower left = slider down/wrist turn right, center = slider center/wrist center
I cannot seem to get any other functions to work aside from Y1, X1, TRIG, MID, LEFT, RIGHT and the 4 hat positions. I cannot get "Y2" to fill in under throttle, nor can I bind any twisting action to the banking keys. Any ideas? Stick is in position 1 in CH Flightstick Pro mode! At least I understand that the sliding and shooting simultaneously is not possible, but it seems I have other problems now!? :o
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Admiral LSD »

raekwonchef wrote:Why exactly would I need a gameport to USB adapter for Descent 1? The game, in DOS, does not support USB joysticks to my knowledge!? Am I wrong?!
There's a bug in Windows that causes problems with gameports on high FSB machines which in turn interferes with the Sidewinder. That adaptor bypasses the standard gameport and avoids the issue. Since you're running in pure DOS it's useless to you (as is Rebirth for that matter).
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by raekwonchef »

Admiral LSD wrote:
raekwonchef wrote:Why exactly would I need a gameport to USB adapter for Descent 1? The game, in DOS, does not support USB joysticks to my knowledge!? Am I wrong?!
There's a bug in Windows that causes problems with gameports on high FSB machines which in turn interferes with the Sidewinder. That adaptor bypasses the standard gameport and avoids the issue. Since you're running in pure DOS it's useless to you (as is Rebirth for that matter).
Yeah, I remember the bug in Windows quite well. I found a custom driver that a guy made awhile ago that works for my legacy system (133MHz FSB P3 733MHz). He had a whole set of windows 98 drivers available for different bus speeds! I know several people who got it working again with those drivers. Another one of my Windows XP machine works fine with the 3DP at 800MHz FSB (I have 2 of them)! I use it in Descent 3 quite often!

I wish I could understand why I can bind the hat and other 4 buttons, but no throttle or banking on the other axis in Descent I. I am going to check out D2 next. I know the throttle and twist features work as they have in other games in the past. If anyone has any idea what's going on, please drop me a line. I'm not missing something stupid here am I?Thanks for your and everyone else's help today.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

With regard to the joystick issues, have a look at this site, particularly the FAQ:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ar ... oyfix.html

It sounds like you need Joyfix for DOS. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to address the issues you mention.

With regard to the patching issue, have a look at the documentation regarding Descent versions in the download in this thread:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=14217

You might have the version that can't be updated with the Version 1.5 patch, and you may find a solution to that problem in this thread:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=20483

Good Luck!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

raekwonchef wrote:I wish I could understand why I can bind the hat and other 4 buttons, but no throttle or banking on the other axis in Descent I. I am going to check out D2 next. I know the throttle and twist features work as they have in other games in the past. If anyone has any idea what's going on, please drop me a line. I'm not missing something stupid here am I?Thanks for your and everyone else's help today.
Hm. Make sure the slider is in the middle position before trying to assign it maybe ?

Another way to get the 3rd position values is to just copy the 4th positions, should at least work for a test.
ImageImage
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

install the drivers for the sidewinder with the GREY FLOPPY Microsoft so eloquently included in the box.

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

I think I have an dual joystick ISA card with built in speed compensator in my junk pile... I bought it because of the high FSB issues, and it was a way better joystick controller. Your welcome to have it if I can dig it up for the cost of shipping. You need to assign it the to the next non-conflicting port address. 200H or 201H I cant remember.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

BUBBALOU wrote:install the drivers for the sidewinder with the GREY FLOPPY Microsoft so eloquently included in the box.
They are W95. He's running DOS...
ImageImage
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

Canuck wrote:I think I have an dual joystick ISA card with built in speed compensator in my junk pile... I bought it because of the high FSB issues, and it was a way better joystick controller. Your welcome to have it if I can dig it up for the cost of shipping. You need to assign it the to the next non-conflicting port address. 200H or 201H I cant remember.
That would be great, but I only have 1 ISA slot on this board, which needs to be used by a sound card. I do have some backup mobo's with more than 1 slot, but am not using them now. Maybe it would solve my Mechwarrior 2 S3P DOS issues as well? That's very kind of you to offer.
akula65 wrote:With regard to the joystick issues, have a look at this site, particularly the FAQ:

http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Ar ... oyfix.html

It sounds like you need Joyfix for DOS. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to address the issues you mention.

With regard to the patching issue, have a look at the documentation regarding Descent versions in the download in this thread:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=14217
I will try joyfix and will report. Thanks a lot! My patching issue was fixed using the new ISO I found (as referred to in my previous post.
Grendel wrote:Another way to get the 3rd position values is to just copy the 4th positions, should at least work for a test.
What does this mean? Are you referring to the descent.cfg?
Grendel wrote:They are W95. He is running DOS...
You are quite right; the driver disk is worthless in DOS.

Joyfix for DOS is my next step, guys. Thanks for ALL of the suggestions!
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

raekwonchef wrote:Joyfix for DOS is my next step, guys. Thanks for ALL of the suggestions!
I tried Joyfix 4.1 for DOS, but keep getting a "runtime 200" error on account of my processor being over 200MHz. I see that this error appears to have been addressed in the Joyfix 98 Beta II release, but I believe the last release for DOS was 4.1. I don't think this will work. Does anyone have any other advice? I am pretty desperate here! lol... :cry:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I thought the joyfix 98 II version ran in DOS still, I used to use it way back when I would play Descent 1 by exiting Windows 95 and booting back down into DOS. Otherwise try updating your DOS runtime extender.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

You mentioned slowing down your machine in your initial post. If that is an acceptable option, you might consider one of the DOS slowdown techniques listed on this page:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8070

The \"Runtime Error 200\" issue is a timing issue, so if you slow the machine down enough, you may be able to get Joyfix for DOS to work.

Another option to get Joyfix to work might be to use some of the generic patching or TSR programs that have been developed. Have a look at the BORLAND PASCAL 7 CRT BUG section on this page in the Wayback Machine ( http://www.archive.org ):

http://home.att.net/~short.stop/freesof ... m#oldprogs
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Still, if you want to run the original Descent at the default 320x200 resolution a P3 733 is going to blow all the framerate dependencies wide open. On the other hand, you might have some luck with the higher video modes supported by 1.4a/1.5. Its very likely you will have to do something to keep the framerate from running out of control anyway. Otherwise dodging homing weapons becomes pretty hopeless at or over 60 FPS.
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

akula65 wrote:You mentioned slowing down your machine in your initial post. If that is an acceptable option, you might consider one of the DOS slowdown techniques listed on this page:

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8070

The "Runtime Error 200" issue is a timing issue, so if you slow the machine down enough, you may be able to get Joyfix for DOS to work.
I am using SLOWDOWN by Bret Johnson, which I have been using for years in place of moslo deluxe (I feel this program works much better for several reasons). I had problems running SLOWDOWN before while using HIMEM.SYS or EMM386.EXE and couldn't figure out why. I emailed Bret and he directed me to his web site (http://bretjohnson.us/) where he had the newer versions of those two files from DOS 7 in Windows 98. I replaced the versions from DOS 6.22 with the newer ones from 7 and now SLOWDOWN works with HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE in memory! I was able to run Descent with SLOWDOWN to 100MHz 486-DX4 and it runs great. Dodging homing missles is much easier now!

With that being said, I tried slowing down the computer and running Joyfix 4.1. The program lauches with SLOWDOWN active! I am in the process of setting it up right now and will report ASAP! Thanks for your help!
Krom wrote:Still, if you want to run the original Descent at the default 320x200 resolution a P3 733 is going to blow all the framerate dependencies wide open. On the other hand, you might have some luck with the higher video modes supported by 1.4a/1.5. Its very likely you will have to do something to keep the framerate from running out of control anyway. Otherwise dodging homing weapons becomes pretty hopeless at or over 60 FPS.
As I said in reply to akula65, SLOWDOWN has successfully slowed down the PC where the game seems more manageable now. I also set the "-640x480" switch in the descent.bat to launch at the higher resolution. The "-JoyNice" and "-Joypolled" options are on as well as I read somewhere that those can help with interrupt problems. I can also run Joyfix now, so as I said, I will report back shortly!!

Thanks for the advice, guys and more to come!
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

I have been trying to get Joyfix 4.1 to work for the past couple of hours to no avail. I put the files in the Descent directory, walked through the wizard and it says everything worked fine, but I still have no X2 or Y2. When I try to calibrate the joystick in Joyfix, I notice that twisting and moving the throttle does not change the values displayed on the axis. The values for the X1 and Y1 axis do change as the joystick is moved. It's as though, in DOS, the X2 and Y2 do not exist. I booted into Windows 98 on the same system and tested the joystick in the control panel (I have it working using the custom drivers I mention in a previous post). The throttle and twist functions work just fine in the testing in Windows. Here are the settings as set by Joyfix used in my descent.cfg file. Aren't the third and forth values awfully low? The example numbers in the Joyfix readme are much higher!:

JoystickMin=6,9,-1,0
JoystickCen=205,298,0,0
JoystickMax=407,585,1,0

I read smewhere that gameports on ISA cards used to run ay 5v on motherboards with 100MHz FSBs and under, but boards over 100MHz used 3.3v ISA slots. This usually causes timing problems. Could this be the reason why it won't work in DOS, but it does in Windows!? I don't get it! Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want my banking on the X2 and throttle back!

Also, when I set the Sidewinder 3D Pro in the second position and set it as a Thrustmaster in Descent, I cannot go into the configuration to change the button assignments. When I click on any action to assign a button, the HAT UP key gets assigned as soon as I ENTER in the field. Any special trick to get the Sidewinder 3D Pro to setup as a Thrustmaster? I have the joystick in position II? Help!! :?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Let me restructure that quote from above a bit -- if you don't see 4 good values for each joystick line after setting up the CH stick you may have a problem w/ the joystick port or Joyfix is messing up the values.
Grendel wrote: 4. How to configure Descent for use w/ the 3DP in TM mode:
----------------------------------------------------------

- on the 3DPro set the mode switch to pos I and center the throttle slider
- start Descent
- in the Options.../Controls... menu select "CH Flightstick Pro"
- in the Options.../Controls.../Configure Above menu move to the throttle field in the Axis section, press enter and move the slider -- the field should now read Y2
- assign the rest of the controls, use the twist option of the 3DPro to Bank l/r
- when leaving Configure..., you'll be asked to calibrate stick #1, do so (handle X/Y). For stick #2, upper left = slider up/twist left, lower left = slider down/twist right, center = slider center/no twist
- leave Descent and TYPE DESCENT.CFG -- search the lines starting with 'Joystick....', eg. mine are reading
JoystickMin=11,11,12,12
JoystickCen=286,290,286,286
JoystickMax=550,565,557,557
- write down the 3rd value of each line (here 12, 286, 557)
- set the 3DPro mode switch to pos II
- start Descent
- in the Options.../Controls... menu select "Thrustmaster FCS & Wingman Extreme"
- in the Options.../Controls.../Configure Above menue move to the Bank l/r field in the Axis section, press enter and twist the stick -- the field should now read X2
- when leaving Configure..., you'll be asked to calibrate stick #1, do so (handle X/Y).
- leave Descent and EDIT DESCENT.CFG -- search the lines starting with 'Joystick....', eg. mine are reading
JoystickMin=11,11,0,0
JoystickCen=261,292,0,170
JoystickMax=550,566,0,340
- see that the 3rd value of each line reads 0 ? Ok, now replace these 0's by the values you wrote down:
JoystickMin=11,11,12,0
JoystickCen=261,292,286,170
JoystickMax=550,566,557,340
- save the modifications
- play Descent
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by raekwonchef »

Grendel wrote:Let me restructure that quote from above a bit -- if you don't see 4 good values for each joystick line after setting up the CH stick you may have a problem w/ the joystick port or Joyfix is messing up the values.
This is where I am confused. When I setup the Sidewinder 3D Pro as CH Flightstick in Descent, with the joystick in position I, I can bind the trigger, top button and two side buttons on the stick, but I CANNOT bind the throttle, or twist axis.

Following the directions you gave to first set it up as a CH Flightstick and then move to TM, it won't work because I can never get the X2 or Y2 axis to respond when running as a CH Flightstick. Like I said in my previous post, the numbers in the third and forth spot in the config are 0's, yet the twist and throttle work fine in Windows.

With that being said, this leads me to believe that there's nothing wrong with the joystick or gameport on the sound card, but rather a timing or software problem in game. Any ideas? Thanks again.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

if you're running JUST DOS, that's probably your problem. iirc, the sidewinder used some of the first Dx software ... which DOS doesn't support by itself. You will probably need at least Win95b. (that's my guess at any rate.)
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by raekwonchef »

Duper wrote:if you're running JUST DOS, that's probably your problem. iirc, the sidewinder used some of the first Dx software ... which DOS doesn't support by itself. You will probably need at least Win95b. (that's my guess at any rate.)
Descent 1 is a DOS only game (at least the version I am running), so that isn't the problem.

EVERYONE - This motherboard can do 66MHz, 100MHz and 133MHz FSBs. Sould I try lowering the speed of the CPU? It's on auto FSB right now per the dip switch settings on the mobo (133MHz) and it's multiplier is set at 5.5x (133 x 5.5 = 731.5 or the 733MHz P3 I am using). What could I safely underclock it to that would drop the FSB below the proper barrier to resolve the timing issues? I think I read 100MHz is the limit, but does that mean I can drop it to 100MHz FSB, or should I go lower to 66Mhz? What steppings will this P3 733MHz processor do safely and do you think that might work?? Thanks in advance.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yes, Descent 1 is a DOS only game, but the sidewinder ISN'T.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Any processor should be able to safely underclock.

The documentation for your motherboard will supply you with the necessary information to safely underclock your CPU via motherboard DIP switches, if you so desire to go that route.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

try a 100mhz FSB.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Just a little FYI CH Flightstick Pro was not a Chorded joystick, that did not come about until Jane's Combatstick using a Gameport

That's why i bound primary fire key to a keyboard button also

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

Duper wrote:yes, Descent 1 is a DOS only game, but the sidewinder ISN'T.
No, the Sidewinder 3D Pro is primarily a Windows device, but when it came out, it worked Mechwarrior 2 and a couple other games in digital mode in DOS. I am not trying to use it as digital Sidewinder 3D Pro in DOS, but rather as a CH Flightstick Pro or Thrustmaster in emulation mode (the switch on the back of the joystick in either position I or II). I can't seem to get the joystick to work, like many people have told me it can, in those emulated modes in Descent or Mechwarrior 2. Any other suggestions? I am going to try to underclock my system next?!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Duper wrote:yes, Descent 1 is a DOS only game, but the sidewinder ISN'T.
It IS in analog emulation mode (which is its default mode).
raekwonchef wrote:This is where I am confused. When I setup the Sidewinder 3D Pro as CH Flightstick in Descent, with the joystick in position I, I can bind the trigger, top button and two side buttons on the stick, but I CANNOT bind the throttle, or twist axis.
Which is odd and points to a problem w/ the 2. channel on your joystick port. Are you sure the port is a fully featured port ? (Buttons 1-4, X1/Y1, and X2/Y2)
raekwonchef wrote:Like I said in my previous post, the numbers in the third and forth spot in the config are 0's, yet the twist and throttle work fine in Windows.
Under Windows the 3DPro switches to digital overdrive mode. DOD works w/ 1 or 2 channels of the joystick port, so that's not an indication for a fully featured joystick port.
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

I just got done trying to underclock my processor to resolve the issue, but no go. I tried setting the FSB down to 100 MHz and changing the multiplier, but it appears the multiplier is stuck at 5.5 no matter what I change the dip switches to. I set it to 100 MHz and then tested the Joyfix and Descent joystick options to no avail. I set it to have a 66 MHz FSB, which lowered the CPU MHz to 366, but the problem still happened. This really leads me to believe that there's something wrong with the gameport even though it works fine in Windows 98 SE.
Grendel wrote: Which is odd and points to a problem w/ the 2. channel on your joystick port. Are you sure the port is a fully featured port ? (Buttons 1-4, X1/Y1, and X2/Y2)
I am using a Vibra16 ISA PNP sound card CT4170. I use the CTCM/CTCU software to configure the PNP card settings and then set the same IRQ/DMA, etc. in game. The joystick is on port 201 as it should be. The only other option is 200, which games can't find at all. Any ideas about that gameport? I am going to see if I can find out anything more. I just can't believe the card doesn't have a full featured gameport! I didn't even know some existed that might not support X2 and Y2?! Let me know if you know anything specific and thanks for setting me straight.
Grendel wrote:Under Windows the 3DPro switches to digital overdrive mode. DOD works w/ 1 or 2 channels of the joystick port, so that's not an indication for a fully featured joystick port.
I had no idea it defaulted to analog, nor did I understand that DOD works with 1 or 2 channel gameports. It is then possible that I don't have a 2 channeled one on this soundcard, right!? Any additional advice? Thanks again.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Do you have a free PCI slot? Free up the ISA for the compensator card I have and get a cheap PCI card. The card has dual ports and a variable speed adjustment pot. Worked tickity-boo in Descent and it saw both ports.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Canuck wrote:tickity-boo
??? :lol:
raekwonchef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by raekwonchef »

Canuck wrote:Do you have a free PCI slot? Free up the ISA for the compensator card I have and get a cheap PCI card. The card has dual ports and a variable speed adjustment pot. Worked tickity-boo in Descent and it saw both ports.
Problem is that I play many games that require ISA soundcards to work. Some that only run on expanded memory, which won't allow me to emulate SB16 in DOS (as those emulators require extended memory instead) and my games require SB16 or compatible. That is my perdicament! Any other ideas!? You guys are great...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sorry, back in the time I used a dedicated gameport card (to prevent issues like this :)), never used the GP of an ISA Creative card (I do know that the PCI SB16 port works tho..) Best advice I can come up w/ is to get and try an older (non SCSI !) SB16 card (the one you got was introduced in '97).
ImageImage