Latest Gaming Rig Configuation - See any red flags?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Latest Gaming Rig Configuation - See any red flags?

Post by Sniper »

I am not claiming that this is the best rig config in the world. I'd just like some feedback about this it to help me see if there are any red flags that I may be missing. Do you see any potential problems with items not working well (or at all) with one another?

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... er=9955645

Also, if you think there is a better part for an equivalent or lower price, would you mind posting the link to it on NewEgg?
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Looks Good - really good.

Any reason you are getting a 2nd Network Card other than to have Two network cards?
The Board comes with 10/100/1000 already - just curious.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

You see - that's why I posted this. No, no reason for a second NIC. Thanks for the heads up - it's gone. :)
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Also - I have that same Video Card (GeForce 9800 GTX+).

And when running in Tri-SLi mode, it out performs many of the 10 series in Dual Mode.

And three of those cards costs less than two of the 10 series.

So... you might considering getting a Tri-SLI Board.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I haven't heard the greatest things about the Intel stock cooler for the i7, but with that case/mobo I don't think you have many other options so its good enough.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:So... you might considering getting a Tri-SLI Board.
Reeeealllly. Any you suggest?
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Actually.. This Board has Quad-SLI, with DDR3, and is AMD Based...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 813131363R

Its also much cheaper than the Intel board you priced. I love Asus boards, have them in all my systems.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Also you could save a little bit on this hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148395
its a single 500 GB platter design, so it will throw less heat and use less power than drives with more platters.

Although I disagree with the SLI option, its drives up the price way more than is reasonable for the performance return, and also drives up cost of other components. Not to mention even the latest phenom II 955 BE isn't a match for the i7 920.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

of course, the 9800 GTX+ (as far as I know) won't push quad-sli, but at least you know you can upgrade way down the road and go to Quad :-)

Better upgradeability in the future
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Thats a good one too if you want to stick with Intel. I know lots of people are brand-loyal. And if price is no object go ahead with that one.

Just figured that, for the money, the Asus Board with AMD CPU would save you about $100, which you could spend on a second Video Card and get more bang for the buck ;-)
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Ok. I updated the wishlist with that new mobo. I also upped the 9800 GTX+ count to 3 (heheheh). I just noticed now that I'll need a different case since that fragbox case would only hold two 9800's.

I'd really like a case I can easily transport, as this is a lan box.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

That case you selected won't fit a full size ATX board like those last two.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Is this case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129021

Going to work with my mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813186169)?

The case spec says, Motherboard Compatibility ATX / m-ATX. Not sure what that means...

EDIT: just found on the mobo spec: Form Factor: ATX
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I can't say I'm a fan of the Nine Hundred - all those gay lights and windows. If I were in the market for a massive tower I'd probably go for something along the lines of the P182 or now, the P183. In reality though, I'm kinda over stupidly massive towers. I ended up buying the Micro ATX Mini P180 for my current build after I reassessed my needs and realised there was nothing really holding me to full ATX (not to mention it was about AUD$50 cheaper than the P182 :P). While still not the smallest case on the block (it's taller and wider than most mid-towers, the latter mainly due its ability to tuck the cabling away under the motherboard, a feature I absolutely love) but compared with my old HQ-08 it's Verne Troyer.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

Ok. I did it. I pulled the trigger. ;D I'll let you guys know how it goes.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Admiral LSD wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of the Nine Hundred - all those gay lights and windows.
You may not be a fan of Lights/Windows, but one thing they are not.. is Gay.

Some people like to show off their hardware. Having windows also serves a purpose - that being able to see the fans running and whatnot.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

By the way Sniper - that case is awesome :-)
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Admiral LSD »

TOR_LordRaven wrote:
Admiral LSD wrote:I can't say I'm a fan of the Nine Hundred - all those gay lights and windows.

Some people like to show off their hardware. Having windows also serves a purpose - that being able to see the fans running and whatnot.
It's ricing. Just because it's a PC and not a car doesn't make it exempt from being gay.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I would strongly suggest getting a WD Caviar RE (enterprise grade) hard drive. I've had nothing but trouble from Seagate in recent years.

WD's stuff though is very solid. I have a 40GB IDE HDD that's well over 4 years old and is still running. Last spring I bought a WD Caviar RE 1601ABYS 160GB and I love it; superb performance and a 5 year warranty. I would recommend this for a WD HDD.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I've been running various WDs for something like 5-6 years. Not out of any personal preference, they're just what the local PC shops stock. All of them are, at last check, still working fine. Hard drive reliability is a fickle thing though. I can sit here and say my WDs have all been fine while another can stay they had 3 duds in a row and are never buying WD again. Every brand is like that.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I've seen them all fail in various ways, none of the major brands are really any different from each other.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Admiral LSD wrote:
TOR_LordRaven wrote:

It's ricing. Just because it's a PC and not a car doesn't make it exempt from being gay.
ricing ? To each his own i suppose. Some like it some hate it. I guess you hate cases with windows. No biggie.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I think the case I bought is probably on the border of \"pushing\" it with lights, for me. I don't mind a few here and there...and those with a ton of lights to showcase the hardware have their place too.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Sniper, are you really getting that much performance from 3 9800s?
Seems like a newer 285gtx (or even a 275gtx) would be much better price wise, and give you more graphics power....
Fighting villains is what I do!
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sniper »

ReadyMan wrote:Sniper, are you really getting that much performance from 3 9800s?
Seems like a newer 285gtx (or even a 275gtx) would be much better price wise, and give you more graphics power....
Why do you think this would be?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Single GPU systems scale a bit better and are more widely compatible, SLI is a more of a marketing gimmick then a practical application. Not to mention the huge power savings from not having three video cards.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

Add to that the reality that 3 cards = 3 sets of components that can go bad.

I'm not sure if the 9800gtx gives physX support, which arguably isnt mainstream yet, but is on its way, however you do get physX options with the 260GTX and higher (I have a 260).

Every time I think \"I'm going to go SLi this time\", research and reality shows that it just isnt worth it versus a single gpu option.
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Everything from the 8 series and up includes physx support.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Unboxing

Post by Sniper »

I'll post pics of the build as soon as I can get around to building this thing...

Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I'm looking at the motherboard and I'm thinking that there's no way I'm going to fit three video cards on this thing....why didn't I see this before? Is this really the case? :?

Edit:

Three cards will not fit. Abandoning the tripple SLI idea and moving one of the cards to my previous system for an upgrade.
TOR_LordRaven
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by TOR_LordRaven »

Admiral LSD wrote:...all those gay lights and windows...
This one is just for you ;-)
And will be the NEXT case I buy!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/include/AddC ... &imgcart=1

CoolerMaster Storm Scout

Entire Case is Black, including the inside (nice and dark). Yes, it has two 120mm LED Fans in the Window, but the Window is tinted with 40% auto Tent. And the case has a "Stealth" mode where you can turn the LEDs off but leave the fans running.
(3 120mm Intake Fans: 2 in window, 1 in Front; 2 120mm exhaust Fans: 1 out back, 1 out top)

Plus, it looks awesome! Has handles at the top to carry it around, and the bezel's in the front are screened for great air flow.

I also love the Power Supply at the bottom, it gets its air from under the case (not from the warmer air inside) and vents it straight out the back.

I love this case, it will be the home of my next PC.