Wireless Mice

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Wireless Mice

Post by Cyclone »

My Logitech MX700 died recently after a bit of frustration... I had it for what feels like 7 years are something. I really liked that mouse.

Does anyone know of a great wireless mouse I could replace my previous one with?

I was thinking on these two.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 6&cl=ca,en

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ ... 0&cl=ca,en

Thanks.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I use the MX Revolution (with uberoptions installed and many of the buttons customized) and it is excellent for all things in Windows. However one thing it is NOT is a gaming mouse (I use a G7 cordless for that).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

It really depends on what you're used to, but I use my MX Rev for gaming all the time.

Works flawlessly for me. ;)

For D2X-XL. The Hyper-fast Scrolling wheel makes a great slide up and down function. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The G7 completely destroys the MX Revolution on accuracy and responsiveness. Switching to a G7 from a MX 1000 or MX Rev in gaming can make it seem like you have turned the skill level down a whole notch, or even slowed down the games time scale a bit.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

The MX700 only had 800dpi and I thought it was sensitive enough. So I'm not so worried about that. The biggest thing that bugs me with wireless mice is the weight.

Has anyone tried the MX1100? Is this the newest logetech mouse?

As for the Revolution the only things that bug me are that the Middle mouse button cannot be reprogrammed. I use this in 3dsmax and I need that functionality to pan the viewport. Also the lithium battery doesn't sound as good as having actual batteries I can use, so I don't have to weight for it to charge.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Krom wrote:I use the MX Revolution (with uberoptions installed and many of the buttons customized) and it is excellent for all things in Windows.
With that software, you can change those buttons to anything you want. ;)
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

I've been using wireless mice for 5-6 years, ever since my old wired Explorer died and the weight had never really bothered me. Depending on the batteries you use, it's not that much heavier than a wired mouse. I'd never use rechargable bateries or buy a mouse with a rechargable pack though as they don't seem to last as long as a decent set of primary cells (I get 8-12 months life out of a set of Lithium AAs in my MS mice) not to mention has the additional hassle of keeping them charged.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Don't worry about the internal battery, one charge is sufficient for more than a week of heavy use and it charges in a few hours from empty. And yeah, uberoptions lets you reassign EVERY button on the mouse to virtually every function you could think of and then some. I have the middle button on my MX Rev assigned to mouse3 rather than the default switch scroll wheel modes which I assigned to one of the thumb buttons.

You can get uberOptions here:
http://www.mstar.net/users/rlowens/

Just a note, for the most predictable response in all applications install with the \"no forward/back default profiles\" option. This way you can manage the profiles yourself if you prefer, it just prevents it from loading a bunch of profiles for word/excel/ie/firefox that you can't get rid of.
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Admiral LSD »

Krom wrote:Don't worry about the internal battery, one charge is sufficient for more than a week of heavy use and it charges in a few hours from empty.
That's still nowhere near as good as once-a-year battery changes ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Well that's the worse case of a week of 10+ hours a day near constant use. Light use it lasts over a month to two months per charge, and the battery indicator gives you a heads up well in advance of when you are going to go dead.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I didn't realize it was so hard to put a mouse on charge before heading to bed. :P
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

Hmm still haven't decided yet but I'm leaning toward the MX1100.

Thoughts:

MX1100
- Cheaper
- Newer
- Longer battery life (I think)
- 1600 DPI
- Mouse is a bit bulky.
- Can run on a single AA battery
- I can use standard AA Batteries. I have a charger so this isn't a problem.
- Doesn't have the Auto Smart Scrolling. Sounds like a useful feature to have though.
- The DPI buttons on the mouse I don't need.
- Reviewers said it was comfortable to hold even though it was heavier.

MX Revolution
- More expensive
- 800 DPI
- Built in battery. These batteries wear out. The MX700, after about 1-2 years I couldn't get a proper connection to the base and the batteries wouldn't hold a long charge.
- Has the Auto Smart Scrolling feature, although some reviews said it was a bit glitchy.
- Reviews said they had a bit of issues with the forward/back buttons.
- Looks a little cooler looking then the MX1100.

I’m not sure which mouse is more comfortable to hold, the MX1100 or the revolution.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Cyclone wrote:MX Revolution
- Has the Auto Smart Scrolling feature, although some reviews said it was a bit glitchy.
- Reviews said they had a bit of issues with the forward/back buttons.
Auto scroll and forward/back glitches are cured by uberOptions, however I set my mouse to default to free scroll mode as it is the most useful that way. I only use a couple overrides to switch to click mode for specific applications. Once you get used to a free scroll mode odds are you will use it just about all the time.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I use the Logitech LX7 for my desktop; it's no gaming mouse, but it's not as fancy as the MX Revolution, so it's not as expensive. It has served me well for over a year. I have only had to change batteries two or three times, so this mouse sips power, almost literally.

I use the Logitech VX Nano for my laptop. The receiver is crazy small, and it can reach over 30 feet. I still have the batteries that came with it installed, because I don't use it often and its energy conservation is amazing.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

If you want wireless I would strongly recommend getting something that uses Bluetooth. Microsoft makes some pretty nice BT mice.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.