Start Trek vs. Star Wars : Death Star vs. Enterprise

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Start Trek vs. Star Wars : Death Star vs. Enterprise

Post by Duper »

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Yeah.

No competition.

Until the trekkies beam into the DS's reactor room and start shooting.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Fake.

Star Wars takes place in a galaxy \"far far away\", not San Francisco.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Yeah well the GTD Orion from Descent FreeSpace owns the Star Destroyer.

Observe...
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Heh, here's something I've never gotten about the Star Wars vs. Star Trek debates--they always work out to The Federation vs. The Empire.

That's weird to me because the Empire is the baddie. I mean, Trekkies talk about who the Enterprise could take on, not who Q could take out. LOTR fans are always going on about what a great wizard Gandalf is, and rarely mention the thunderous sorcery of Sauron. You can go down your list of fanboys, and when it comes to who-could-beat-up-who debates, they're talking about the good guys every time. Except Star Wars fans. They always pick the bad guys.

What's up with that? Is the Empire not so evil after all? Is it the sexy hardware factor (which I will certainly grant the death star)? Is it that in Star Wars, the bad guys are just generally cooler than the good guys? Something else?

It's not a loaded observation; I've never participated. But it always seemed to me that if we get the Federation, y'all should get the Rebellion or maybe the Old Republic. Or on the flip side, if y'all get the Empire, we totally get the Borg. Or maybe the Dominion.

I'm just sayin'.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well, in the case of the vid, stormtrooper suits are cooler looking and more accessable than 1980's Trekkie spandex. ;)

Someone posted a vid of the Federation vs the Babylon 5 verse' about a year ago. That was a pretty slick piece of work.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Anyone ever see startrek vs batman? It's about 20 minutes and is acted out by fans.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

NO no no, should not be Death Star against Enterprise, should be the Death Star against a Borg Cube. Resistance is futile.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Seems that a particle beam weapon designed to destroy a planet would not stop at the starship, but it would have gone on and destroy the earth too. Pretty irresponsible to have your troops on the surface of a planet you would have destroyed.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Nerdz.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Octopus »

Top Wop wrote:Nerdz.
x2 figgin nerds!... oh wait.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Let's not resurrect this absurd debate. All it proves is that anyone who takes it seriously needs a new hobby.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Alien »

Drakona wrote:Heh, here's something I've never gotten about the Star Wars vs. Star Trek debates--they always work out to The Federation vs. The Empire.

That's weird to me because the Empire is the baddie. I mean, Trekkies talk about who the Enterprise could take on, not who Q could take out. LOTR fans are always going on about what a great wizard Gandalf is, and rarely mention the thunderous sorcery of Sauron. You can go down your list of fanboys, and when it comes to who-could-beat-up-who debates, they're talking about the good guys every time. Except Star Wars fans. They always pick the bad guys.

What's up with that? Is the Empire not so evil after all? Is it the sexy hardware factor (which I will certainly grant the death star)? Is it that in Star Wars, the bad guys are just generally cooler than the good guys? Something else?

It's not a loaded observation; I've never participated. But it always seemed to me that if we get the Federation, y'all should get the Rebellion or maybe the Old Republic. Or on the flip side, if y'all get the Empire, we totally get the Borg. Or maybe the Dominion.

I'm just sayin'.
It always seemed to me that the SW villains were much more developed than the ST ones, though this could just be because I've spent a lot more time in the SW universe than the ST one. Everyone knows who Dark Vader and The Emperor are, but I think non-Trekkies would be pressed to name specific ST villains and would fall back on "Klingons," "The Borg" and such. And I personally always found light sabers, shooting lightning bolts from your fingertips, and moving objects with your mind to be incredibly cool powers. :D
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

2001 Space Odyssey vs David Bowie's Major Tom:
They fly off in different directions and never return.