Presenting: The Obamamobile!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

lol i'm posting on dbb
who gave me this link i forget
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

roid wrote:lol i'm posting on dbb
who gave me this link i forget
Welcome back Roid - good to see ya. :P

(I have nothing substantial to add to this topic that hasn't already been covered :roll: )
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

Spidey, go get your own thread locked. I actually care about what other people are writing in this thread.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

LOL Ferno, you really should patent that act.

I have every right to reject industry propaganda…he has seen many studies, and so have I, and I sure as hell am not going to get into another link war just to satisfy you.

He believes what he wants and I believe what I want.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:LOL Ferno, you really should patent that act.

I have every right to reject industry propaganda…he has seen many studies, and so have I, and I sure as hell am not going to get into another link war just to satisfy you.

He believes what he wants and I believe what I want.
hehe. this reminds me of the 'i know what you are but what am I' act that a grade 4 kid pulls.

Not asking for a link war here. I'm asking for a more in-depth argument from you. there have been a few posts from you that I actually agree with. But even so, I would like to see a better argument instead of 'it can't'. And I'm fairly certain others would as well.

with that said, I can only conclude the reason you won't back up what you said is because you can't.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

No, see, you’re under the false impression that I actually give a damn about what you think.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

http://www.chevrolet.com/pages/open/def ... lectric.do

The best option right now given our current technological advancement. You can replace the gas generator with anything including a hydrogen generator and it will still make sense.

The problem with Tesla is once youre done, youre done.
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Spidey wrote:No, see, you’re under the false impression that I actually give a damn about what you think.
yes you do, otherwise you wouldn't have retorted. I don't need to post links for this.

Agreed top. The beauty of a hydrogen generator is it can be used anywhere from the point of origin to your garage.

Using wind to generate electricity is a dicy proposition. It's a no-go in areas that are mostly calm over the year but shines in windy areas. And that also depends heavily on wether you decide to use horizontal or vertical plane windmills. each have their strengths and weaknesses.

Ah but you're probably asking 'what about using solar?' That's a better option than wind in some aspects but in order to harness it's full potential you need heliostats in a not-so sun rich area in order to concentrate the energy to a usable level. There's also the option of solar panels, and that's almost a viable option with the new multi-juncton cells that are due to hit the market soon. Of course these are best used in areas that aresun rich

Personally, I would go with the heliostat option at this point in time due to the cost-energy output-effort-maintenance ratio.

Now that we are close to solving the inefficiencies of transmission by almost cutting it out altogether, the anti-EV crows has one less point they can effectively argue.

Next in the series: batteries; their costs and impacts.
Octopus
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Octopus »

A big problem with lithium batteries was catching fire. Like ferno said, cost is the biggest. My little brother was telling me about super/ultra capacitors getting more advanced at storing energy, and might be what electric vehicles use to hold a charge for a day. Of course that's sci-fi stuff at this point. Ultra/mega/super whatever capacitors have a long way to go before we see them power anything more important than toys (with out the aid of a battery)
Ferno

Re:

Post by Ferno »

Octopus wrote:A big problem with lithium batteries was catching fire. Like ferno said..
let me stop you right there. the only problem with lithium batteries catching on fire is when they've been overcharged or punctured. Both problems have been solved by putting them in a hard case and regulating their charge cycle.

Also the chemistry has arrived to a point where they can do 40 to 60C. C being a rating of battery capacity, so using supercapacitors might actually not be very cost effective now.