Is DMB2 available anywhere?

For Descent, Descent II and Descent3 level editing and modification assistance.
Spacemutiny
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Is DMB2 available anywhere?

Post by Spacemutiny »

I'm looking to design my own Descent 2 levels, but it seems as though the editor was commercially released, but is no longer available? Has this become freeware or is there anywhere to get it?

Thanks!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

No longer available for purchase, probably. DLE-XP (http://www.descent2.de/, second big image on the page) has all but superseded it, though, and it is free of charge.

A lot of people used to swear by Devil; since DLE-XP keeps most of the DMB2 style of doing things, it may not make them happy - but it's not so easy to get Devil to run on recent versions of Windows.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

it can be bought at GOG.com with the Definitive Collection found HERE for 6 bucks.
Spacemutiny
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Spacemutiny »

Thanks guys.

Duper, I actually purchased that already that is what got me interested in trying to design a level, but it made no mention of including the editor or the vertigo expansion. I will have to check out the directory.

I'm gonna try DLE-XP Sirius, many thanks.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

You're welcome.

DLE is really an expansion of the DMB2. It's not as glitchy as DMB2 and opens up some possibilities that older restrictions kept in check ... erg.. that was poorly said. :P

try the XL or Rebirth mod to play. It's much smoother than the port that are present with the Gog copies. Both are free and both have their own \"take\" on the games.

XL uses the D2 engine to run both D1 and D2 and introduces some newer fx like better lighting, higher res textures from the community and fully functional UDP networking.

Rebirth is a \"no frills\" mod that cleans up code for both D1 and D2. It has a version for each one (d1 and d2) and offers OpenGL support and linux along with some Texture smoothing.

(XL offers both of the latter as well)
Both are stable and a work in progress.
Spacemutiny
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Spacemutiny »

Duper, I'm going to try them both, thanks for the helpful info.

Quick question, do you know if the version on GOG that I downloaded inclue the levels from the expansions?

Also, is there anywhere to get a good tutorial for the level editor dle-xp? I'm staring it changing the dimensions for cubes and can't do much beyond that.

Thanks!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

HOLY CRAP!!!

check out the price on this set! o_0

Not sure about what's in that. Head over to the Interplay site and see if you can get a definitive answer. :)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DLE-XP work much the same as DMB2, but with lots more options.

If you really want help with how to use it?

I suggest you head over to the D2X-XL forum. You'll find that we have lots of people there who use the program and can help you.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

I still have a nip definitive collection only got it for $2 a few years ago.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

DMB2 used to have a tutorial I think (was only basic stuff, but it helped to get somewhere). Not sure whether it can still be found anywhere.

I don't think anyone ever wrote a true tutorial for DLE-XP - there are a bunch of \"what this thing does\" and \"how-to\" guides, but they're for features added since DMB2.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

dmb2 comes with a tutorial and a tutorial map. very basic few cubes a ring how to import custom textures.