BOZ

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

BOZ

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

They are robot players.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

It's a custom dedi server AI-player system SuperSheep is working on. He has them set to always leave one slot open for human players to join.

Honestly, I gotta give some props to SS; his [BOZ]-bot AI is starting to get considerably better. The first time I saw them, they weren't too difficult to beat, but now they circle-strafe, change weapons, and dodge... it's rather impressive! :)
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Alien »

Behemoth wrote:They are robot players.
Not all of them. :wink:
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

HAHAHAhahahaha brilliant Bee - you made my day!

They got the names from me, btw ;-)

There is another set of them - the \"adult version\" consists of players like \"[BOZ]Vincent\", \"[BOZ]Marsellus\", \"[BOZ]Jules\" (taken from Pulp Fiction) and have higher aiming skills.

Every one of the BOZ has a specific skill rate and a specific ship set. They also cycle on their own and will free up a slot in a game when you join.

Usually they only hang out on the Descentforum.NET #9 server, yet...

So please go and disturb these kids - they deserve it as they are DAMN typekillers and spawnkillers ;-)

<3

heheh...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

They are bots.. some whore up the microwave some are vauss whores. funny is the Tank who doesn't use fusion. One even Flies like Geordon, thankfully he actually plays....... good BOT errr BOZ.

Some are deadly accurate and some are fodder, but one thing you will notice about the bots... If they are having a fights and you enter....everyone of them turn their attention on you...and ignore each other like they could SMELL YOU

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Alien »

Do_Checkor wrote:There is another set of them - the "adult version" consists of players like "[BOZ]Vincent", "[BOZ]Marsellus", "[BOZ]Jules" (taken from Pulp Fiction) and have higher aiming skills.
There ought to be a server up frequently consisting of just these. The other set is way too easy.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:Yeah sure, their "robots". My foot. I played them for a few minutes last night and some of the one's I had trouble with had too much of a "human" element.
Did any of them ever use missiles? Did any of them run away? The bots are pretty good at dogfighting and running you over with plasma/microwave/lasers (especially with a ping advantage) which can make them feel human, but last I checked, they don't make interesting tactical choices.

I suppose it's possible someone dropped into a game using a [BOZ] name just to mess with you.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Yeah, the robots do not use missiles at all and they always gang up on you.
It's a very good practice for anarchy skills though, for me anyways.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Wasn't me - though that's an interesting idea. Maybe I'll come in as a [BOZ] someday. :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Behemoth wrote:It's a very good practice for anarchy skills though, for me anyways.
Really? It's good dodging practice, but I found some of them too "AI"ish in their movements to really work weapon placement / aim.

[BTW, good game in Damage last night - flying style reminded me more of your brother, though. :P]
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

[Who do you think taught him? :P]

And i think they're pretty good crowd practice, I have an easier time playing regular anarchy with real players after i play a game with those boz.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I've really enjoyed playing against the BOZ bots. A lot of times there's nobody online to play and playing against some bots is better than nothing.

I agree though, it would be cool to have a server running the harder skill level bots. Even though the ones online right now sometimes mess me up (if I spawn next to a phx with quad supers they will normally ream me before dying) they're overall pretty easy to dominate.

I'm hoping at some point SS makes them available to everyone so we can run our own games. It would be really fun to start a server and set how many bots are in the match + what ships they are flying etc.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Well while we're at it with additions, i'd like to see them use missiles as well.
And ++ to the higher skilled bots
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Bee,

Obviously I prefer playing human opponents too. The problem is, with the game as old as it is a lot of times I sign on and the servers are empty. It would be nice to be able to play the bots in a game of my choice when there's nobody else around. Think of it as a contingency plan. :)

As an example:

Right now there's 3 people in Veins (too few), 3 in Subway Dancer (hate that level) and the bots are running on a Euro server (180-200 ping for me) and in a level called Skull (don't have it or know it). They were running in Kata for awhile, so I was playing them in there when there was nothing else, but right now looking at the server list there's nothing appetizing.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I agree with DT here, I'd like to put BOZ in my own lan server so i can have a full anarchy if no one's around!
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

I'll get a server going with the high skill BOZ again...

ATM it's the case that a server running with BOZT will use incredibly much CPU power but I'll take a look at it and if it's not possible I'll just stop the lower-skilled ones to replace them with the highskill ones for a while...
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Thanks bud, also, if you don't mind please put them in a good level like keg party, athena, vamped or indika 3
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:Some human players are already robots. They use unrecognizable names, don't say "hi" when they join, no taunts during the game, and no "gg" when they leave.
Many of us are talking to each other throughout the game, via ventrilo or teamspeak. Lots of hi's, gg's, taunts (notably Warpig calling people tramps), and we all know who is using what name.

But there are those who apparently don't talk to anyone, don't type anything, and spend most of the game hanging back and lobbing missiles. Those are the most boring opponents, IMO. Sometimes even a BOZ bot would be a better teammate :P
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Do_Checkor »

Behemoth wrote:Thanks bud, also, if you don't mind please put them in a good level like keg party, athena, vamped or indika 3
Will do...
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

That would be awesome Do_Checkor. Indika3 with BOZ pilots in tanks would be fun as hell :)
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

OK that \"Pulp Fiction Set\" is running again by request.

Be aware of Mr. Wolf, Marsellus as well as Vincent and Jules and of course Butch is in old fashion condition again. The rest is more close to the sesame street :-) They will cycle automatically as always...

As Indika5 has been running for a LONG while recently I decided to take \"D3Vamped\" for now and will continue with Athena, Kegparty and then Indika3...

Have fun!
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

Will have to join Vent or TS next time I'm in Veins. What server do you use?
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Athena now...
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Still waiting for Indika3 with BOZ-tanks :)
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

I love playing against these [BOZ] players. I end up walking away with a sore rear anytime one of them has vauss though. :P

Descent seems to have died down to the point where there's just one match a day. It's a breath of fresh air being able to go into a level like this at any time.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Never send a human to do a machine's job. =P
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Do_Checkor »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Still waiting for Indika3 with BOZ-tanks :)
running now :-)
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Ya, The BOZ guys make the game more fun (mostly).
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

KegPartyD3 is running now :-)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Would be great if these bots were running on a US-based server for those of us who find German servers almost unplayable, particularly against bots with magic aim. (Not saying the server is bad, mind you, it just doesn't work well for me.)
Ryujin
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Ryujin »

Good point Lothar.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Shoot, I wouldn't mind getting the code for running BOZ on my own private lan server so i can choose the level i want to play with them in the instance where other players aren't available..
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

I think Supersheep can't release this to the public as it is a part of Anticheat. Also I know that he wanted to termininate all bugs until he would even release it to other ServerOps.

Maybe Grendel could host one as he is part of the AntiCheat thingy anyways - or maybe Richard. Anyways: it is / was not my decision - but I promised to NOT give this to ANYONE at all. And TBH I understand why Supersheep is so carefully about this.

I have not heard anything about this / did not get any updates for a long time already now, either...

In the meantime I'ma try to do my best I assume. I remember Supersheep hosting his own servers with them \"Spike_X\" ones a while back, though...
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

This is funny. I read about these computer players on the forum way back when when the topic first came up, but I'd completely forgotten when I joined the DE servers last night. I thought for sure someone was using an aim hack. ;) I didn't think that kind of following ability was probable, even with the lower ping. But the thing that really stuck out as odd to me was the fact that they never collected their opponents' power-ups/spew. Now it all makes sense! :P

Way to go, SuperSheep! These guys aren't half bad! Finally computer opponents with shields and the ability to use the whole range of weapons! They're suckers for smart missiles, though, at least compared to most players with anywhere near that kind of aim. It's odd to play against crack shots that get caught by the kind of tricks that I gave up using on most live players a long time ago.

SuperSheep, are you planning on expanding this AI project beyond Descent?