Enemy Within test: bugs and other issues

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

I don't have any classes on Friday, I'll make a point to play more then. But because I don't have a car, I can't get home untill 5-6PM and then I'm just happy to be home, and I have to take care of schoolwork, etc.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I could just be really stupid, and I also didn't read the rest of the comments, but I finally got to play after the re-download, and I have to ask: what the hell is with level 2? There is no exit and you just die! Is this how it's supposed to be, and why so?

Other than that, the level set so far is great, although I am finding the thief-bot replacement to be way more harder to kill.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Exit is the grate door on the left of the reactor room.

You need to be next to it when the reactor is blown.
Sucks doesn't it?
I've made the same commented on this prob at the D2X-XL .de forum as well. ;)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

You always have about five seconds before you evaporate, and since the exit is right next to the reactor, that's definitely enough.

I love doing that to you. :wink:
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

DarkHorse wrote:You always have about five seconds before you evaporate, and since the exit is right next to the reactor, that's definitely enough.
That wasn't 5 seconds. :P

It was 1 sec count down and then you have like 1 more sec to get out before your vaporized. :?
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well at the very most, I could make it a 1 second countdown on insane, 3 seconds on trainee. But why more than that? :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Uh... it *definitely* takes longer than a second to kill you. Five sounds about right.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

On skill level: Hotshot.

The count down starts at T-0 sec.

Technically you have 5 sec from that point, but really you have 4 sec, because by the 5 sec.
You're gone! :P

ImageImage
ImageImage

The images above have the in-game clock showing the seconds from the time the reactor is blown to the end.
As you can see. There is only 4 images, because on the 5th. You are dead. ;)

@ DFW - That should be fair enough, thanks. :)
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Well... my testing will take a bit more time, as I have to test that out just for teh lulz :wink:

And level four is incredibly amazing, very nice design, if the texture quality was higher, it would feel like a Descent 3 level.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well DH, couldn't quite figure out what to do with the title screen for the mission. Its got to have 'The Enemy Within' somewhere on it, descent font preferable. And have something to do relating to the overall story. It'll be used briefly on the initial briefing and as a background for the credits at the end of the mission. We still need it before the mission is released.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

I got to level nine. I didn't find the secret level door in level 8, so I said screw it, and just went straight to level 9.

Level nine is really unique so far, I haven't seen a design like that anywhere. I barely got the Helix cannon on level 8, but I love having it.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

As a note: The level with the large lava tunnel; the red key is really hard to find, as I had to flare every surface in the yellow door area to find it. Just to let you guys know.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I took note of that. That area isn't so bad in D2X-XL because the surfaces are partially transparent, but that assumption falls to pieces in anything else.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Well, I found two bugs, both with XL, I can't say with Rebirth since I've been playing only with XL to get more of a \"Descent 2.5\" feel. I believe that the level numbers are six and seven, but I'm not 100% sure with the first.

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

d3jake... which version of D2X-XL is that?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

First one is your version of D2, it looks fine on my end. Second one I don't see anything unusual.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

He is looking through the floor, look closely near the lower-middle of the picture, with the black line.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

As far as i remember, that's a minor bug of D2X-XL from older versions (1.13.71 and below). It shouldn't happen from versions 1.13.72 and up...
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

That's another game bug, not a problem with the level.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Yeah, sorry about that, for not posting the version, I know I downloaded it roughly a week or so before Diedel made a bug fix with dynamic lighting and 3D power ups spinning wildly. That's as specific as I can be untill I get home tonight...
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Level 13 is currently raping me, as everytime I try to guided missile one of those energy suckers, they charge at me!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

yes, Fulcrums are far more dangerous than mantids, utilize your Gauss.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Nice hiding spot for the level 15 secret exit, found it by accident :wink:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Be relieved, I've lowered the crackshot ability of the Piper. His aim was 255 (perfect aim) to now 220. So he'll miss a small percentage of the time. So he's more manageable.
Yes, the level 15 secret level is one that will probably reap the most rewards in the entire set. Tons of secondaries and extra lives to win there.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Well, after the new version, I am at level 9. I found the secret exit on level 8 this time, but after getting severe shield damage, I just went back into the teleporter :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Secret level 1: use flash missiles. You can't see what you're firing at most of the time, but you have a vague idea where it is.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

In D2X-XL, I was able to beat level 1 before it crashed. Then I opened level 18, and it crashed as soon as I tried to go into the second room.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

you'll have to be more specific on which d2-xl version you are using and refer this to Diedel. Because I also am using D2-XL, but have not come across your problems.
also, I just finished it on Ace mode. Woowee! The last boss room is insane. I think I used up just about every last secondary, invul and cloak to survive that onslaught. That was madness! Madness I tell you. But so very damn fun!
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Could be more critical in other versions where you cannot save items for later use, right? Possibly unplayable difficult? I can't say - I even suck at ROOKIE :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

DH beat the last boss on Insane in some other version, and made it look relatively easy. So...
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by d3jake »

d3jake wrote:Yeah, sorry about that, for not posting the version, I know I downloaded it roughly a week or so before Diedel made a bug fix with dynamic lighting and 3D power ups spinning wildly. That's as specific as I can be untill I get home tonight...
It seems you fellows were correct, the version I have is 1.13.67. Strange to think that in a weeks time there has been five or more new versions....
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The level set is almost finished and should be released soon. I'm kinda waiting on word from Darkhorse and Sirius first however. I want to be 100% there isn't anything I'm missing or bugs that could ruin this. So everyone who has been awaiting this, just sit tight! I'll make a new release thread for it when its up.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Level 15 is the single most ingenious and brilliant level design I've ever played. To put simply - best level I've seen. Inspired by Turnabout Bore and Tycho Brahe, eh? :>
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

PS can someone PM me on how to open the yellow door on level 26? nothing I tried works :(
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

There's two locked doors in the central tower, a little while up. Directly opposite them are two rooms, each with a little cubby-hole in the other side. Duck into them and it'll open the doors revealing a trigger.

I would have shot you a PM but this is an easy one to get stuck on, and it's not really a spoiler.

Level 15 - Thanks for your comment. Tycho Brahe not so much, but I love Turnabout Bore. It's built around that and fighting over a chessboard. That and its secret level are the most traditional, and apparently most popular of my contributions to TEW.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

and they both happen to be smack dab in the middle of the entire set. Sort of like a turning point for the set, one way or the other.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I tried to give people a reason to go into those holes and then ensure they'd have an aural cue and investigate what it was. For some people it seems to have worked; for others not so much.