Don't Nerf The Boss.....

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Don't Nerf The Boss.....

Post by Stroodles »

Recently got D1X, and it works great. One MAJOR problem-the boss 1 (smart missle boss)-is epicly nerfed. He teleports more slowly, fires more slowly, less plasma homing balls, and he does almost 1\\4th of the normal damage. 3 charges with quad lasers kills him....it really ruined the experience for me. Anyone know if there's any way to fix that?
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

compared to the DOS version of D1?

The last time you played against the D1 boss described, was it on a newer system? I ask because if the clock speeds are faster, many of the features you described are going to happen quicker. Also, silly question, but were you playing on the same difficulty settings?

Head on over to the Dxx forums and give Zico a holler. You might get a quicker response. I'm interested in hearing what he has to say about this as this is the first I've heard of this. (too many pronouns in that sentence. :roll: )
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I have definitive edition, patched to 1.4a, so I'm going off that. Ya, and it's on all difficulties. The damage is only modded between difficulties for lasers and fireballs in D1.

The original version, each plasma ball did 20 damage, and each rocket did 160.

Currently, a head on rocket does about 60, and the plasma ball does like 10....

the original version, higher difficulties, he would teleport to either side of you incredibly rapidly, currently, his teleport speed doesnt seem to change on other difficulties.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually I seem to recall somewhere that the L7 boss difficulty was toned down in the original from 1.0 to 1.4(a). It would be impossible to revert back to pre-1.4 difficulty because the only source code released was the final 1.5 code.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

oooOOOooooo nice find!
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Stroodles, you might want to get a copy of the Version 1.0 Shareware:

http://download.descent-network.com/sha ... /playable/
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

If you have D1 retail patched to 1.4a, patch it to 1.5. You can find the patch on Planet Descent.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Well, I'm making a level set that has a boss level, and it's really no fun when he's so easy.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I think the thread starter may be seriously exaggerating. I was playing \"The Enemy Within\" just the other day and a direct hit from a non-boss Smart missile-shooting enemy on Trainee killed me instantly. I've always played Descent 1.4a or higher and though the boss was easy, never THAT easy.

I think that this level 7 boss is meant to separate the chaff from the wheat, I mean many people who complain about his difficulty can't even slide. When you learn to slide, he'll never be hard again.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The Enemy Within is a Descent 2 mission, although I don't know how much is shared between D1X/D2X-R.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I'm pretty sure the Golems fire maximum-strength smart missiles. Doesn't surprise me they kill you on Trainee.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

But I gotta admit - the level 7 boss fight in Descent Shareware v. 1.0 is friggin' epic. That's what I call a good challenge.