Expensive Paperweight

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Expensive Paperweight

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've got a 3 year old top-of-the-line HP 9000 17\" laptop that died. First it began to lock up and go to a black screen, but if you let it cool down, it would go half an hour before another lockup. However it quickly deteriorated and started showing '$' characters all over the black background with faint purple vertical stripes in the HP splash screen at boot up. Then it started going into endless reboots, not even getting into Windows XP at all. This all happened in the space of several hours.

So we tried reinstalling the OS. The graphics looked fine when running the restore program and I was able to install all the necessary OS files from the restore CD with no problems, but unfortunately, I can't even get into Windows to run setup and I still get the '$' artifacts at the HP splash screen. It's probably a hardware failure, but would it be worth it to get it repaired? HP wants $398 just to look at it! Any ideas on what hardware component failed? The hard drives and main memory check out just fine. :?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Sounds like the GPU bought the farm.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

When was the last time you dusted it ? Talking about taking it apart until you can access the heatsink to get the dust bunnys out..
ImageImage
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Actually, it's pretty clean. It's never been used for gaming or anything heavy duty very much Grendel.

So Krom, if the GPU died, would that keep the OS from loading? Also, it's an Nvidia Geforce 7600 GO card, which is fairly old. Can a new one be obtained easily somewhere?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

A year or two ago nvidia took a $200 million charge to cover a recall of defective mobile GPUs (and subsequently got sued by its shareholders). The 7600 go series was one of the affected parts along with pretty much every mobile part from the 6000 to the 8000 series. I think it was an issue with the chip packaging which lead to the chip actually coming apart from thermal cycles. And yes it would keep the OS from loading.

As for getting it replaced, unless your laptop is still under warranty I'd just give it up as lost since the cost of fixing it would be too much compared to just getting a new laptop.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

Krom wrote:A year or two ago nvidia took a $200 million charge to cover a recall of defective mobile GPUs (and subsequently got sued by its shareholders). The 7600 go series was one of the affected parts along with pretty much every mobile part from the 6000 to the 8000 series. I think it was an issue with the chip packaging which lead to the chip actually coming apart from thermal cycles. And yes it would keep the OS from loading.

As for getting it replaced, unless your laptop is still under warranty I'd just give it up as lost since the cost of fixing it would be too much compared to just getting a new laptop.
Even though the machine is old, it's not useless. That age of machine can still run many windows XP based applications and games. Having it repaired would not be a waste, but it's all up to you, tunnelcat.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Why pay $500 to have an old laptop fixed, when you could spend it to get a new faster laptop that would have a longer warranty?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

After some searching on the web, I found a lot of gripes about this very series of HP laptop having overheating problems and dying as a result. Combine that with a crappy GPU and.....fizzle, crackle, beeeeeeeeep! There was also a 2007 BIOS update that attempted to refine the fan speeds. My guess is that the thing was designed improperly from the start and HP was trying in vain to keep it cool after they found out it was a problem. Well, I guess not! $%#@&^%$!

The GPU is built onto the motherboard, so I'm SOL unless I want to cough up for a new motherboard. You're right Krom, it would be probably worthless to try and fix it with another 7600 GPU/motherboard and have the same problem reoccur. Plus, it's a nightmare just to take out the motherboard. It would be throwing good money after bad.

Anybody got any recs on laptop brands? HP is sooooo not getting my business this time. :x
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Asus, Acer, Lenovo.
ImageImage
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

I have an Asus that hasn't given me much trouble, except ironically it also has a defective 7600 go in it that is a ticking timebomb. :P
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

A lot of guys at work are going nuts over the cheap $250-range netbooks, these days. Depending on your needs, a netbook like the mini10 might do the trick for you.. even run the old games you want to run. They can run some newer games like WoW and LotRO, but not very smoothly, so if you're looking for something that will run stuff coming out in the future, I'd argue against that route.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

ASUS, Cyber Power PC, Dell Latitude or Precision (the business grade stuff), or a Lenovo Thinkpad are my suggestions. I'd get a Dell as a last resort though.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

My bro just recently got a MSI gaming laptop, and can I say SICK!!!!, I covet that thing of his.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Thanks guys. But I was reading the Nvidia forum and found out that HP isn't the only company having heat problems and failing GPU's with their notebooks. Even some ATI GPU's are getting cooked, but it seems mostly an Nvidia problem, even up to the 8800 line.

One guy kept harassing HP to fix his out of warranty dz9000 notebook for free and he was successful at it! So what I'm going to do is try that tack for the moment and see if they'll pony up a free repair. They should! They've known about this problem for quit awhile and personally I think they should help out their customers who've paid megabucks for one of their lemons. I'll let you guys know if I get anywhere. If they stiff me, I'll be looking into your suggestions for a replacement.
captain_twinkie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by captain_twinkie »

I know Dell is offering a year extended warranty on the systems effected by the Nvidia GPU issue.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Update. Well, now I know how that guy on the nvidia forum got a free laptop repair from HP. They had a secret warranty extension until the end of Dec. 2008 and he was able to badger them for a free repair.

Fat chance! That helps me out just ducky when MY laptop melts down six months after that date! I'm NEVER going to give HP my business again. My husband USED to work for HP and he's pissed off! :twisted:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I'm VERY happy w/ my Canon printer ! ;)
ImageImage
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I dunno, my Canon copier broke the spring mounts that hold up the top portion while you change the toner cartridge. When the springs bases broke out downward, you couldn't even get the paper drawer open! Had to pry the paper drawer apart just to get the damned springs out. Still copies OK, but now someone has to hold up the top while another replaces the cartridge. Either cheap plastic and poor design, or we're cursed. :twisted:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Um what Model Number was that HP DV9000? there is a HP Program repairing a series of Defective dv9000 units and giving them Extended 2 year warranties. The Motherboard has a defect

HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement (no Exp Date)
S/N = Keep that to yourself
P/N = xxxxxxxUA-xxx something like that
Tag = DV9xxxUS

P/N's ; EW635AV EZ453UA EZ459UA EZ468UA RG564AV EW680AV EZ456UA EZ460UA EZ470UA RG931AS EX988AV EZ457UA EZ461UA EZ471UA EZ452UA EZ458UA EZ462UA RG139AS

-------------------------------------------------

Side note the Left Hinge Warranty Enhancement ended in May31-2009 - not this one above
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

BUBBALOU, do you have a link or some other info.? My unit is P/N EW680AV, was a build to order unit now 3 years old and it comes under that list of yours. But HP, no matter who I talk to, is giving me the line that the extended warranty ended for my laptop 12/2008 and so I'm SOL! They claim the extended warranty was for the on-board nvidia graphics that were defective and failing because of heat, so they were replacing the entire motherboard.

Another question for a knowledgeable brain here. Is there ANY way to get it into VGA mode? It seems to display in that mode OK, but since I can't even get into Windows Setup to set up XP (it was reinstalled), I have no way of disabling or turning off the nvidia driver. I've got a second drive with all sorts of video/music I'd like to copy off or delete. :?
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

tunnelcat wrote:BUBBALOU, do you have a link or some other info.? My unit is P/N EW680AV, was a build to order unit now 3 years old and it comes under that list of yours. But HP, no matter who I talk to, is giving me the line that the extended warranty ended for my laptop 12/2008 and so I'm SOL! They claim the extended warranty was for the on-board nvidia graphics that were defective and failing because of heat, so they were replacing the entire motherboard.

Another question for a knowledgeable brain here. Is there ANY way to get it into VGA mode? It seems to display in that mode OK, but since I can't even get into Windows Setup to set up XP (it was reinstalled), I have no way of disabling or turning off the nvidia driver. I've got a second drive with all sorts of video/music I'd like to copy off or delete. :?
Force windows to boot into safe mode. I do that by interrupting windows booting during the splash screen. Safe mode forces standard VGA resolution. Once you're in, get your stuff off and then shut down.

You could also take the hard drive out and plug it into a desktop PC (you'll need an adapter if it's IDE not SATA) and pull data off directly.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I had both the hinge and mobo repaired on mine (all i had to do was place a sticky note next to the hinge)

link

Step 2: Identify the symptoms
If your computer’s product number is listed above, and the notebook PC experiences one or more of the symptoms listed below, contact HP during the Duration of the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement to determine whether you are eligible for a free repair.

The following symptoms apply to Pavilion dv2000 and Presario v3000 notebooks:
* The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
* There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.

The following symptoms apply to the dv6000, dv9000 and v6000 series notebooks:
* The notebook does not detect wireless networks and the wireless adapter is not detected in the Device Manager.
* There is no video on the computer LCD panel or external monitor.
* The notebook has no power and no active LED's.
* The notebook does not start.
* The battery charge indicator light does not turn on when the battery is installed and the AC adapter is connected.
* The notebook issues a single beep during boot indicating no power.
* The external monitor functions but there is no image on the notebook LCD panel.

Service enhancements and free shipping

* Free shipping
If your notebook needs to be returned to HP for repair, the shipping costs are free. HP will immediately send you a postage paid container in which to send in your computer, and we will pay the return shipping.
* Post-service warranty
After HP repairs your notebook, you will continue to be covered by the HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement program for 24 months after the start of your original standard limited warranty, or 90 days after receiving your free repair, whichever is later.

Service
After HP receives your notebook PC, HP will use its best efforts to repair and ship your notebook to you within 10 to 14 business days.

Contacting HP
To contact HP in North America call 1-866-671-7362 from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm MST, 7 days a week.
NOTE: This service enhancement program does not affect your current standard limited warranty. If you are experiencing issues or concerns other than those listed above, your current standard limited warranty applies.In the event your notebook has been serviced for one of the above issues and you have been charged for service please contact HP to determine if you are eligible for cost re-imbursement.

If this was a Custom Built Laptop then you should have been notified First because they would have had you address and contact information, and you weren't.

State \"HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement\"

EX- They pull down these webpages or add discontinuation date when the programs are over
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Zantor, I can't even GET it into Safe Mode. Windows was NEVER setup after a reinstall that was attempted as a repair for what we thought was a corrupted OS. All it comes up with is a warning that Windows can't enter safe mode and then a reboot! Any other suggestions? GRRRRRRRRRR!

BUBBALOU, THANKS big time for the info. and links. I'll check it out and see how far I get.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Zantor »

tunnelcat wrote:Zantor, I can't even GET it into Safe Mode. Windows was NEVER setup after a reinstall that was attempted as a repair for what we thought was a corrupted OS. All it comes up with is a warning that Windows can't enter safe mode and then a reboot! Any other suggestions? GRRRRRRRRRR!

BUBBALOU, THANKS big time for the info. and links. I'll check it out and see how far I get.
Don't freak out. If the machine will at least boot and run in basic modes, then try the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows. Plug in a flash drive before you boot, boot UBCD4Win, and then pull your stuff off. If the flash drive technique doesn't work, try backing up over the network (even tho it'd take time).

Edit: To assist those not very technical having to use the PE builder, I have uploaded an ISO CD image of UBCD4Win that I built myself with an XP Pro retail disc. Download link

Otherwise if you have the know-how and the equipment, plug the hard drive into a desktop machine and pull the data off that way.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Zantor wrote:Otherwise if you have the know-how and the equipment, plug the hard drive into a desktop machine and pull the data off that way.
This is really the method I recommend, if you can't do it yourself hire someone who can. Especially before you send the laptop in for any kind of service.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

yes because they WILL wipe the DRIVE

I used Acronis and copied the data off to another drive

took 4 days they sent me back the drive formatted with the original o/s install, I then created a DVD Backup disk(a program included with their o/s), and promptly wiped the drive afterwards of the HP bloat and loaded a clean install from the XP Pro OEM disk I have for that system (it had MCE2005)

now I have a 2 year extended warranty on the unit, because all the old DV9 series have motherboard issues

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

It seems that I have about 1 month left before the extended service period expires for my machine if you factor in the date of purchase. IF they do the repair, I will have BARELY made the cutoff period. I'll try calling tomorrow and see if they give me the run around again.

I wonder if HP would throw a fit if I removed the extra data drive BEFORE shipping the laptop to them? I'll probably pull the drive and plug it into my desktop if the interface is compatible, otherwise I'll resort to Zantor's method. Thanks all! :D
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Only Send them 1 Drive in Compartment \"1\"

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Had a Toshiba tech wipe the drive and reinstall for a defective DVD drive replacement. We had no idea why but we both assumed that a DVD drive replacement was pretty straightforward, not a happy customer.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Gads, I've had to replace 2 optical DVD drives, both a ROM drive and a DVD R/W drive, in my 4 year old desktop. There was no such trouble as you describe, eeeeeeeek! Windows XP just recognized them each time a new one was swapped in with no hassles.

BUBBALOU, will do. The data drive is in the second #2 compartment anyway.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

So have you spoken with \"Bob\" in India yet

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Yeah, just ducky dealing with Bob! It turns out that HP STARTED the 2 year extended warranty on the SAME DAY the regular limited warranty began, in other words, they ran concurrently, NOT AFTER the regular limited warranty period ran out. So since I bought the laptop in September 2006, the regular warranty ran out 1 year after that and the extended warranty ran out September 2008. It turns out they gave another 2 month grace period beyond that, so it technically ended December 2008 for my unit. Now if I'd bought the 2-year extended warranty originally, I'd be in business.

Well, lucky me, it melted down in July 2009, 6 months AFTER that date, so I'm SOL as far as HP's concerned. I should have run a game on the thing to burn it out quicker! Thanks for trying to help me out BUBBALOU, but unless there's some other way to cajole HP, I'm not going to continue to bang my head on the India Service wall of death anymore. Neither am I going to cough up more money to have HP repair it. So I guess I'll just salvage the memory and drives and recycle the rest. What really frosts me is that this was a 'SECRET' warranty that they didn't bother to notify their customers about! They sent us the notice for the hinge repair, which wasn't broken, but no notice whatsoever that the GPU would fail. We'd even upgraded the BIOS when that fix came out for the 'improved' fan speed control. Didn't work, did it! :x