video conversion

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

video conversion

Post by EngDrewman »

Does anyone know a a good free (not trialware, free) program that will convert a .mov to an .avi or .wmv in the original resolution and framerate? Thanks!
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

HandBrake might be able to do it, but I've never used it so I can't really say for sure.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Tried handbrake- doesn't work.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Leawo Free MP4 Converter will do what you want. I use it to convert MPEG/AVI files to a mobile format to load onto my Palm Pre. It also converts MOV to AVI (But not WMV).

If you wanted to convert the output to WMV you could just load it into Windows Movie Maker and Save movie as...

http://www.leawo.com/video-converter/fr ... erter.html

Edit: Free version allows for only \"Medium\" quality output (Which I can't tell the difference). I think its just bit-rate, not resolution. (Full version is only 10 bucks though, so if its a problem, its a cheap solution). :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

mencoder and ffmpeg are both powerful command-line video converters that will do the job. There are gui frontends that can help you with the configuration... though I never found a frontend that I really liked for windows.

I used super at one point. I'm not sure what the status of it is these days. It was quite powerful- I'm not sure if I ever tried to convert a .mov, but it could handle .flv's
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

But Leawo is an ffmpeg frontend, albeit an illegal one:

Code: Select all

$ strings ffbri.dll | grep -i ffmpeg
FFmpeg
ffmpeg
If you want to help, upload a sample of this file to ftp://upload.ffmpeg.org/MPlayer/incoming/ and contact the ffmpeg-devel mailing list.
%s not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from SVN. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not been implemented.
ffmpeg: cyuv: got a buffer with %d bytes when %d were expected
FFmpeg codec #1
Huffyuv FFmpeg variant
image format is not rgb15, please report on ffmpeg-users mailing list
Transition from an ONLY_LONG or LONG_STOP to an EIGHT_SHORT sequence detected. If you heard an audible artifact, please submit the sample to the FFmpeg developers.
Offset of %d not handled, post sample on ffmpeg-dev.
Please file a bug report following the instructions at http://ffmpeg.org/bugreports.html and include a sample of this file.
Current FFmpeg Vorbis encoder only supports 2 channels.
?# ffmpeg 2-pass log file, using xvid codec
FFmpeg v%d.%d.%d / libavcodec build: %d
ffmpeg
cool a new vlc code ,contact the ffmpeg developers and upload the file
Leawo belongs on the FFmpeg hall of shame, if they aren't already on there, and I certainly wouldn't trust my money to them, much less trust them to install software on my machine. You didn't think that the geniuses over at leawo.com wrote an mpeg encoder from scratch, did you? ;)

edit: To be useful, I should also include the analagous hall of fame, an unexhaustive list of projects that legitimately use FFmpeg.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Thanks, but I actually found one that works: http://www.pazera-software.com/products ... converter/
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Ah good--it looks like they actually made a good faith attempt to respect FFmpeg's license too (I don't think that they do to the letter, but I'm more concerned about the blatant case of people who try to keep that they use FFmpeg a secret).