Descent 3 freezes at startup :(

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent 3 freezes at startup :(

Post by Alley7 »

Hello,

I have installed \"Mercenary\" add-on (with 1.4 patch) a year ago and there wasn't any problems so far. In fact, everything worked perfectly until now. A few days ago I decided to play this game again. The problem is freezing right at the game startup so I must reboot my computer. I don't know why is this... That computer is old and it's not used anymore (except for occasional playing). Therefore, nothing has been touched and I didn't made any software / hardware changes which could cause this kind of problem. My operating system is Windows 98 SE and other games works perfectly. I experienced this trouble only with D3.

Ah yes, the only change is that I plugged headphones into blue port of my sound card and enabled 4 speaker at Windows volume control. I don't believe this could be a problem...

For testing purposes I removed all my savegames (I have only one player profile) and game then started successfully. I thought that should do it, but after taking a NEW savegame problem happened again. Okay, I renamed that savegame file (in Windows) for a different slot (just entered a different number at the end of filename) and I was able to play D3 again. But after playing and saving the problem re-appeared at the next startup of the game. I am sick and tired of this hassle. I want to run/play the game like before...

Please, can someone help me and tell what is going on?

Thanks in advance
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Okay, I solved that stupid puzzle... Now I can play in peace...
Thomas01
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Thomas01 »

It would be nice if you could let us know what it was in the end... ;)
Alley7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Alley7 »

Well, I upgraded to version 1.5 which is stated to fix something under win 98, but without luck. Then I switched from OpenGL to Direct3D and that fixed my nightmare.

However, I wonder if I will be able to play online with version 1.5...
Thomas01
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Thomas01 »

No, you won't. All servers are running 1.4.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Descent 3 freezes at startup :(

Post by Foil »

Alley7 wrote:Ah yes, the only change is that I plugged headphones into blue port of my sound card and enabled 4 speaker at Windows volume control. I don't believe this could be a problem...
This is the only change you made... yet you don't believe it could be the problem?

Based on what you said, I think it's the only thing it possibly could be.

Thomas01 is also right, you'll need to go with v1.4. The 1.5 patch was never official, and it never caught on for the multiplayer servers.
Thomas01
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Thomas01 »

Don't exaggerate. ;)
Plugging in some headphones won't do any harm, anywhere, unless it's a power socket.

I think the change of the graphics driver did the trick, and that would have worked with 1.4 too.