Could you become a citizen?

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Could you become a citizen?

Post by Gooberman »

I missed 8 and 19, but am still allowed in.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13442226/
(don't worry, the link wont melt your monitor)

You can stare at 9 and figure out the anwser without knowing anything. But I guess you can't do that on the real thing.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The naturalization question seems a little out of place, who would know the answer to that, other than someone trying to become naturalized?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

agreed.

Also, I hope they're changing the questions from time to time otherwise people just memorize without really being ready.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I got 100% correct, although I had to guess at the naturalization question.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I transposed stripes and stars in my mind so that killed two questions and I missed the date the constitution was written to miss my third.
So they let me in.
I'm thinking I should pretend to be Mexican and sneak in though because they get more benefits....
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Dakatsu »

Dedman wrote:I got 100% correct, although I had to guess at the naturalization question.
Same here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13442226/?s ... CivicsQuiz
Spidey wrote:The naturalization question seems a little out of place, who would know the answer to that, other than someone trying to become naturalized?
You were born in this country and hence haven't had to be naturalized. This was supposed to be for immigrants :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Dakatsu wrote:This was supposed to be for immigrants
I guess I misunderstood.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

70%

not bad considering most of the stuff i learned was from here.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

90%, missed 13 and 19.

What was I thinking on 13? D'oh!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

55% - Not bad! (Before you scoff, remember I'm Australian. How many of you would score the same on the Australian Test I wonder? :P )

I'm kicking myself on the \"What 13 states...\" question. (My answer had 15 states in it. D'oh!! )
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

TECHNICALLY the test is in error. the 13 stripes do not represent the original 13 states. since there were no states at the time. they do represent the original 13 colonies
Wiki wrote: The fifty stars on the flag represent the fifty American states and the thirteen stripes represent the original thirteen colonies that rebelled against the British Crown and became the first states in the Union.[1]

oh and FYI I got 3 and 7 wrong. I skimmed the questions and got them backwards. I knew the answer just didnt read the question right
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I missed the same ones as Gooberman.
Nightshade
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Nightshade »

HAHA! I got 20 out of 20 right, noobs. :P

J/K...but yes, people should know the basics about our country and the history of its founding.
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun" - Mao Zedong
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

CUDA wrote:TECHNICALLY the test is in error. the 13 stripes do not represent the original 13 states. since there were no states at the time. they do represent the original 13 colonies
Wiki wrote: The fifty stars on the flag represent the fifty American states and the thirteen stripes represent the original thirteen colonies that rebelled against the British Crown and became the first states in the Union.[1]

oh and FYI I got 3 and 7 wrong. I skimmed the questions and got them backwards. I knew the answer just didnt read the question right
When the flag was made, the constitution or at least the articles of confederation were written, so the colonies were indeed states at that point.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Yeah, they called it the \"United States\" not the \"United Colonies\" (ASFAIK).
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

but the stripe represent the COLONIES that rebelled against England. NOT the states that they became.

Like I said its a technicality but TECHNICALLY its an incorrect question :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Ya, but that's up to question. At the time it would have been interchangable. But it couldv'e meant the 13 states, which, at the time were all that existed. But it's just semantics, so, meh.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

here is the original flag of the United states. the 13 stripes representing the 13 original colonies, and the 13 stars representing the states they became. history dates that flag to May 1776

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Stroodles wrote:But it couldv'e meant the 13 states, which, at the time were all that existed. But it's just semantics, so, meh.
heh, tell that to those that died in the Revolution.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

LOL I missed 16 and 19..... My first inclination on 16 was right, and then I second guessed myself and answered wrongly..... Oh well.. Had no idea about 19. All the others were obvioius though :)