Nyko Airflo LED Flickering?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Nyko Airflo LED Flickering?

Post by Tyranny »

I purchased a Nyko Airflo USB gamepad back in January of this year and up until recently haven't used it very much. However, the last week or so I've been playing a great deal of Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PC) and within the last two days the LED light keeps turning off all of a sudden. I have to unplug the device then re-plug it back into the USB port for the LED to come back on. So I decided to switch around my USB mouse and the Airflo to see if it might just be the port and noticed that it is doing the same thing however this time I notice the LED is blinking every so often sometimes, other times it continues to just shut off until I unhook and re-plug it back in.

My other USB devices aren't doing anything strange like this at all. Mouse, KB, printer all work fine. I'm running XPpro with all the latest drivers/patches etc...

Any ideas? Vader, if you see this, have you had the same problem?
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Ty, I think I had a probelm like this with some game controllers in the past. IIRC, going into Device Manager and unchecking the USB Root Hubs > Properties > Power Management settings stopped it. Just a vague memory, however.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

hah, if thats it then thats pretty damn funny. Like my PC needs to disable the device every so often for power reasons...lol.

thx Bashy, I hope that was it, probably was.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

Windows doesn't count non-mouse/keyboard usage as computer activity. If you're using that gamepad exclusively (as I imagine you are), it will power off after whatever time it thinks it should.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Ive never had a problem with mine. However, on that PC I have power management at a bare minimum. All I have it selt to do is shut off the hard disk after 50 minutes of non-use.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Haven't had any problems with it since I told windows that it couldn't disable the device for powersaving reasons.

thx again Bash :)
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

:D
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Theres a good reason for this thread necromancy, I need help on this same issue again. After a while of not having any problems with it all of a sudden it started shutting off completely and I had to unplug and plug it back in to get it to work again, just like before.

However in the device manager the root hub was set to not be able to turn the device off for power saving purposes as suggested. I even checked the HID-Compliant Game Controller entry it makes and power saving is also turned off on that.

I've noticed though, my USB ports only allow a max power of 500 mA, and Windows is reporting my controller requires 450 mA. I'm wondering if at some point in time it may be exceeding that and Windows is turning it off or something. I'm not sure......

Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Could be some bad wiring somewhere, thats certainly not uncommon. If you can still exchange it you might as well go do that.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Do you have anything else attached to the USB hub?

Would it be possible to hook an ammeter up in between the hub and gamepad? :P
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

XP should be giving helpful balloon tips in the tray like "Outta USB powa, sucka."