FreeSpace

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

FreeSpace

Post by Ezri »

Anyone here want to play Descent FreeSpace: The Great War or Descent FreeSpace: The Silent Threat or Descent FreeSpace: Darkness Rising on multiplayer some time? I have all three and have never played any of them online before. I have version 1.06 of Descent FreeSpace: The Great War (English version, United States). So if anyone would like to get a match going sometime, don't hesitate to reply.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

Freespace 1 was supposedly terrible online due to networking issues.
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

Spaceboy wrote:Freespace 1 was supposedly terrible online due to networking issues.
I have a cable modem, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Ezri wrote:
Spaceboy wrote:Freespace 1 was supposedly terrible online due to networking issues.
I have a cable modem, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Freespace 1 had such bad networking issues that it was difficult to play on LAN. It was a seriously laggy game. Playing it online, even with modern high-speed internet, is troublesome at best.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

FreeSpace doesn't have the greatest of netcode, mostly because of the burden required for the game. You have to track so much that it almost loses practicality: ships, positions, spacecraft velocity, headings, hull/shield information, missile locations, heading, missile/warhead velocity, and so on. It works, but not well.

I have played FS2 Open online and it's laggy and not the best experience. Descent is more fun online. ;)

You would reach more people by registering and posting on the forums of Hard Light Productions, the main FS community hub. The Game Warden is another place where you can meet FS players. I am registered on HLP, but don't visit there often.
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

Zantor wrote:FreeSpace doesn't have the greatest of netcode, mostly because of the burden required for the game. You have to track so much that it almost loses practicality: ships, positions, spacecraft velocity, headings, hull/shield information, missile locations, heading, missile/warhead velocity, and so on. It works, but not well.

I have played FS2 Open online and it's laggy and not the best experience. Descent is more fun online. ;)

You would reach more people by registering and posting on the forums of Hard Light Productions, the main FS community hub. The Game Warden is another place where you can meet FS players. I am registered on HLP, but don't visit there often.
What if we played on really low graphics settings, wouldn't that reduce the burden?
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: FreeSpace

Post by Ezri »

Zantor wrote:FreeSpace doesn't have the greatest of netcode, mostly because of the burden required for the game. You have to track so much that it almost loses practicality: ships, positions, spacecraft velocity, headings, hull/shield information, missile locations, heading, missile/warhead velocity, and so on. It works, but not well.

What if we played on really low graphics settings, wouldn't that reduce the burden?
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: FreeSpace

Post by Ezri »

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

And, what if we played on really low graphics settings, wouldn't that reduce the burden?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

No. The problem is that lots of information about each ship needs to be sent to all of the other players- the info has nothing to do with graphics.
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

Even Freespace2 had this issue, although it was playable on net under 100ms, but LAN produced by far the best results for desirable game play. If you PM me Ezri I may be able to get with you sometime & setup a server for you to connect to & show you what we are talking about.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Triple post. That's got to win something.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Sirius wrote:Triple post. That's got to win something.
Here we go.

:)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Duper wrote:
Sirius wrote:Triple post. That's got to win something.
Here we go.
Triple post and 2 users "Super Fail"

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

actually, bubba, I'm not surprised by his triple post. The server seems to be lagging a bit lately. It takes a minute or so for a post to go through.

As far as the Freespace thingy goes, I can't say one way or the other. I played FS2 a bit on line, but I sucked so horribly at dodging missiles, I just gave up. .. just as well.
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

Ezri, lowering the graphics setting wouldn't make much difference if at all. The network programming isn't that great, and that's where it matters.

You can get FS2 Open using the FreeSpace Open Installer. With this you can get the latest in the open source stable release builds and the extra enhancements like high resolution textures and models, and user made campaigns. There is a multiplayer lobby and tracker, and an IRC channel.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Zantor wrote:Ezri, lowering the graphics setting wouldn't make much difference if at all. The network programming isn't that great, and that's where it matters.

You can get FS2 Open using the FreeSpace Open Installer. With this you can get the latest in the open source stable release builds and the extra enhancements like high resolution textures and models, and user made campaigns. There is a multiplayer lobby and tracker, and an IRC channel.
Thanks for the link!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

Zantor wrote:Ezri, lowering the graphics setting wouldn't make much difference if at all. The network programming isn't that great, and that's where it matters.

I don't want to play FS2 though, I want to play FS1.
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ezri »

Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ezri »

Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Ezrl on caffine I think.

Ezrl on caffine I think.

Ezrl on caffine I think.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

I have the original CD's and the 3 original boxes in almost mint condition for:

- (Descent) Freespace 1
- (Descent) Freespace 1 add-on pack called \"Silent Threat\"
- Freespace 2

Need to reload both soon since rebuilding my PC... then get the new exe's from the Freespace Community.

Freespace 1 had terrible online net code.

Freespace 2 played well online EXCEPT when people would mess with MAXMTU settings for extreme packet loss in \"Squad Wars\" (also known as \"Squabble Wars\") matches.

Haven't played Freespace in way too long online or offline.

Look here too: http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/

Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

SirWinner wrote:I have the original CD's and the 3 original boxes in almost mint condition for:

- (Descent) Freespace 1
- (Descent) Freespace 1 add-on pack called "Silent Threat"
- Freespace 2

Need to reload both soon since rebuilding my PC... then get the new exe's from the Freespace Community.

Freespace 1 had terrible online net code.

Freespace 2 played well online EXCEPT when people would mess with MAXMTU settings for extreme packet loss in "Squad Wars" (also known as "Squabble Wars") matches.

Haven't played Freespace in way too long online or offline.

Look here too: http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/

What about Darkness Rising?
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Don't know anything about \"Darkness Rising\".

From what I saw on a Google Search... It was the pre-release name for \"Freespace 1: The Great War\".

Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

SirWinner wrote:Don't know anything about "Darkness Rising".

From what I saw on a Google Search... It was the pre-release name for "Freespace 1: The Great War".

IDK, but I saw it on Amazon for like $10 and I got it (I can't tell what is different about it from The Great War though, other than that it says Darkness Rising on the CD and in the game, and it is stand alone.
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

SirWinner wrote:Don't know anything about "Darkness Rising".

From what I saw on a Google Search... It was the pre-release name for "Freespace 1: The Great War".

IDK, but I saw it on Amazon for like $10 and I got it (I can't tell what is different about it from The Great War though, other than that it says Darkness Rising on the CD and in the game, and it is stand alone.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Duper wrote:actually, bubba, I'm not surprised by his triple post. The server seems to be lagging a bit lately. It takes a minute or so for a post to go through.
You know my comments are for users who are absolutely clueless about sarcasm because of the lint in their glass belly button. But yeah the DBB has been this way for over a year now, seems to be getting worse... and kind of irritating that this board is broken :P shall i redline my sarcasm for the feeble

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ezri »

BUBBALOU wrote:
Duper wrote:actually, bubba, I'm not surprised by his triple post. The server seems to be lagging a bit lately. It takes a minute or so for a post to go through.
You know my comments are for users who are absolutely clueless about sarcasm because of the lint in their glass belly button. But yeah the DBB has been this way for over a year now, seems to be getting worse... and kind of irritating that this board is broken
There is no real point in being sarcastic on the Internet, since nobody can tell that your sarcastic since you can't add tone and facial expressions to a forum post (unless you post a video of yourself saying what you want to say in the post).
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Ezri wrote:There is no real point in being sarcastic on the Internet, since nobody can tell that your sarcastic......
Obviously this is true for only a few....here I'll make it easy for you

[sarcasm]

sarcasm can not be deciphered by an online translator... over the internet, So online it can be that common sense can read sarcasm and enjoy the humor, ignorance can not and it shows by the response

[/end sarcasm]

Well FS2SCP FTW

Ezri
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ezri »

Nice sarcasm tags.