The pledge Being shown in schools

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

If you think about it, the pledge we've been saying for years is kinda silly.

I'm not crazy about the fact that it's more about Obama than it is about the U.S. That's really the scariest part.... I don't think we should be all about one certain president.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

great more of Hollywood show us how great they think they are
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I pledge…that sometime by the end of the day…I will stop laughing.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I must admit I got pretty bored towards the end and only made it 3/4 through. But I didn't quite find anything objectionable.

Find a cause you care about, work to make it better, etc...I'm having trouble locating a piece of sky.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

Gooberman wrote:I must admit I got pretty bored towards the end and only made it 3/4 through. But I didn't quite find anything objectionable.

Find a cause you care about, work to make it better, etc...I'm having trouble locating a piece of sky.
I biggest complaint was the guy saying he pledges to Barak Obama, and the ending where it zooms out to the Obama logo. It's like he's trying to buy himself a longer leash, and I prefer to keep my politicians on a short one.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. It's not really being aimed at my demographic... and the people that it is being aimed at could probably use the encouragement.

It just smells of PR/campaigning to me.

I'd love for the next 7 years to go well for the country... but at the same time I'm afraid of the way that Obama's following seems cultish. If I ever hear mention of getting rid of the two term limit I'm gonna go off on someone.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

snoopy wrote: It just smells of PR/campaigning to me.

... but at the same time I'm afraid of the way that Obama's following seems cultish. ...
And really that sums up most people's concerns. Rulers always go for the kids. Always.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

snoopy wrote:I'd love for the next 7 years to go well for the country.
7 YEARS?!?!!? you hoping he gets re-elected in 3??
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

snoopy wrote:
If I ever hear mention of getting rid of the two term limit I'm gonna go off on someone.
Get ready because I seem to recall some Dems were considering just that so they could have their own version of César Chávez.
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

\"I pledge, to never give anyone the finger when I'm driving again\". Hahahaha nice
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

woodchip wrote:
snoopy wrote:
If I ever hear mention of getting rid of the two term limit I'm gonna go off on someone.
Get ready because I seem to recall some Dems were considering just that so they could have their own version of César Chávez.
There Is a bill before the house right now that is purposing just that. It isn't getting much support though.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I only watched the first half but unless there is some partisan gotcha at the end it looks good to me. Is there some kind of politicized uproar about this too?!?
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

wtf. This is a joke, right?
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Boring.

Let's see a video of celebs apologizing for their uncivil behavior (opposite of \"smile more... laugh more...\" etc.) during the Bush administration. That would be interesting.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: The pledge Being shown in schools

Post by Bet51987 »

Thanks for the link. It's an awesome inspirational video. I've been pledging my time for years at the senior center, the church food pantry, getting food donations for holiday dinners, and blood drives. The republican comments I've seen are nothing short of stupid.

"I'm not doing it because Obama wants me to" just shows how far paranoia can go.

Bee
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

Ftlog Omfg Bee
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I damn near puked at 3:55. I understand and even agree with most of the message. Be a better person, help your neighbor, serve your country. I get that.

But to \"be a servant to the President\"? I effing think not!
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your president.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

President Barack Obeyme
Bee wrote:The republican comments I've seen are nothing short of stupid.
hello pot meet kettle

― Theodore Roosevelt
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I too donate time to help all sorts of people. 30% of the time I spend working goes to pay my taxes which are then used in all manner of ways by the federal and state government to fund welfare projects.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

I'm shocked that no one said any thing about I pledge to flush only on a deuce. I don't want to smell any ones pee.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Yea, it’s not like all that blather is original or anything…

If it’s yellow…let it mellow.
If it’s brown…flush it down.

Yikes……

I pledge…to use more plastic, just to spite that one ★■◆●.
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

I saw a bumper sticker today that I think could sum it all up without the need for publicists and agents and self aggrandizing celebs in need of credits and after parties.

It simply said: Wag More, Bark Less
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Well the video was shown to Eagle Bay Elementary School in Farmington, Utah. 850 students gather at a school assembly so the principal could show this video. I have no problem with the message until I hear this \"I pledge to be of service to Barack Obama\" Fine message up until that.

I will say this Pledge.

\"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.\"

I will not put myself into the service of another man.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Spidey »

Insurrectionist wrote:I will not put myself into the service of another man.
Me neither!…unless I’m getting paid.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

― Theodore Roosevelt
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by CUDA »

\"When an opponent declares, 'I will not come over to your side,' I say calmly, 'Your child belongs to us already...What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing but this new community'.\"

Guess who

― Theodore Roosevelt
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

CUDA wrote:
"When an opponent declares, 'I will not come over to your side,' I say calmly, 'Your child belongs to us already...What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing but this new community'."

Guess who
An American soldier to a Taliban extremist....

Bee
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

CUDA wrote:
"When an opponent declares, 'I will not come over to your side,' I say calmly, 'Your child belongs to us already...What are you? You will pass on. Your descendants, however, now stand in the new camp. In a short time they will know nothing but this new community'."

Guess who
Google search attributes said quote to Herr Hitler.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I would of thought someone like Vladimir Lenin
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

Ok, I made it to the end and the end was a bit creepy: but honest to God what child will be able to pay attention to that video all the way through to the end.....

....it took all I had.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I think it's sickening. A bunch of self-deceptive feel-good bull★■◆●.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

I pledge ....

to read more,

to put up with less BS from politicians,

to put some shoe leather into getting better political representation elected, because quite a few of the current group of clowns need to be shown the door.

Oh, and show me the video where any of these celebrities are actually doing something useful, instead of just talking about what they will do. Talk is cheap. Patrick Henry did not say \"Give me platitudes, or give me death ...\".
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Sheeple is a term of disparagement, in which people are likened to sheep.

It is often used to denote persons who voluntarily acquiesce to a perceived authority, or suggestion without sufficient research to understand fully the scope of the ramifications involved in that decision, and thus undermine their own human individuality or in other cases give up certain rights. The implication of sheeple is that as a collective, people believe whatever they are told, especially if told so by a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy, without processing it or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Nice edit Cuda, but I already saw it. :wink:

Bee
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by snoopy »

CUDA wrote:
snoopy wrote:I'd love for the next 7 years to go well for the country.
7 YEARS?!?!!? you hoping he gets re-elected in 3??
I'm trying to be realistic. I don't think he's going to shoot himself in the foot enough to only last 4.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

He has 2 feet.