H1N1

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

H1N1

Post by Insurrectionist »

I know there has been a lot of talk going on about the Swine Flu. I was just wondering about this.

The CDC has on their site this info

Are there other ways to prevent the spread of illness?
Take everyday actions to stay healthy.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
Stay home if you get sick. CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

Are not most Influenzas Airborne?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

You got to see the gif at the top of this page:
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... =swine_flu
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Yet to get the regular flu so I wouldn't count on progressing to level 2.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

At work, we spend about ten minutes after closing time wiping everything down with disinfectant wipes. Bacteria can live a very long life on its own, so everyday sanitizing could be a good idea.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

bacteria yes, but viruses can live only 10 to 15 minutes (usually) outside it's host.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Are there other ways to prevent the spread of illness?
Yeah, don't take the vaccine. >_<
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Yeah, please don't take it. That will leave more for me.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Over the weekend I became sick. It felt like a cold so I just took it easy and drank lots of water. Then I made the mistake of telling my roommate I felt sick. Because immediately after I was harassed to go to the doctors. So until this H1N1 media coverage blows over I'm going to fake being healthy when ever I'm sick. As for my cold, I've recovered.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Already had the pig flu, was sick for three days then felt much better.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

yeah Alpha, we've had 3 folks so far at work come down with it. they say it's like having a bad flu, but not much more. I really think this is being over hyped. ... as opposed to regular hype. :mrgreen:

I've heard from a couple of sources over the last several months that it's really expected to be no worse than a \"bad\" flu year, but certainly nothing like the black plague.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

The thing that made the flu epidemic of 1918 (or thereabouts) so bad is that, normally, the flu is dangerous to the very old, the very young, and the very otherwise unhealthy. That particular year, though, the flu was killing healthy twenty-something males.

The hype about the swine flu seems to be that it's somewhere in between. That is, it's not going to kill totally healthy people, but it could be a danger to people whose immune systems are compromised somehow. Just as an example, they're warning pregnant women to be careful about this one.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Precisely.

well put.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

IIRC: Much of the concern with H1N1 is that when new flu varieties appear, they tend to strike in waves, with later waves being increasingly virilent.

Secondly, this viris is both highly contageous and appears to readily swap DNA with other viruses.

Thirdly, being a brand new variety of Flu, it's less likely we have natural immunity; plus there was no vaccine to speak of (until recently).

Additionally, the earliest casulaties of this flu were comparitively young and healthy people who appeared to die of a cytokine storm - a BIG warning sign. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm)

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but maybe the WHO's concern concern over H1N1 is not just about what it is currently doing - it is also about what H1N1 may turn into.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

what Gekko said.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Burlyman »

ccb056 wrote:Yeah, please don't take it. That will leave more for me.
haha OMG! I also won't drink the kool-aid; more for you. :)
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Of course, because smallpox wasn't eradicated using vaccines.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

actually, smallpox was never eradicated completely.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

It was in my country.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Gekko71 wrote:IIRC: Much of the concern with H1N1 is that when new flu varieties appear, they tend to strike in waves, with later waves being increasingly virilent.

Secondly, this viris is both highly contageous and appears to readily swap DNA with other viruses.

Thirdly, being a brand new variety of Flu, it's less likely we have natural immunity; plus there was no vaccine to speak of (until recently).

Additionally, the earliest casulaties of this flu were comparitively young and healthy people who appeared to die of a cytokine storm - a BIG warning sign. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm)

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but maybe the WHO's concern concern over H1N1 is not just about what it is currently doing - it is also about what H1N1 may turn into.
Most Doctors are saying there is a chance that a Cytokine Storm because of the genetic components of H5N1 avian influenza virus that is contained with in the H1N1 Swine Flu virus. The thing is this is a new virus much is still unknown about the pathology of this Virus. There are more strains of H1N1 some have shown potential and that historical evidence that younger people have a strong immune system and may have a poor outcome because of this fact.

http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2009/05/ ... 241584708/

http://femailhealthnews.blogspot.com/20 ... virus.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1N1
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Just for the record. My grand daughter got the shot yesterday and is sicker than a dog. Have you ever dealt with a 1 year old with a 103 fever for 2 days? :x

I'm not impressed.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Duper wrote:Have you ever dealt with a 1 year old with a 103 fever for 2 days?
Vaccination reactions are no fun, I know. My 1-year old was sick and feverish for a day or so last month after his regular shots.

At the end of the day, it's a parental judgment call.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

ccb056 wrote:It was in my country.
well, it's reappeared in it's super bug form now. .. thanks to vaccinations.

You have the same problem with using anti-bacterial soap.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I thought it was the misuse of antibiotics that caused super bugs?

.............edit

When you have an 8 week course of antibiotics and you only take 6, the most resistant bugs survive and reproduce, thus giving birth to a “super bug”.

I don’t understand the pathology of vaccines causing super bugs, because the bug is in the wild anyway, therefore causing the same effects at the vaccine. So the bug can/will become resistant even without the vaccine in use.

When you give a vaccine to a person, that person builds antibodies to that strain of bacteria, the same thing happens when you simply catch the bug…so I’m not getting the connection here.

I think resistant strains will always develop in a community where the population has become immune (because those are the ones to survive, and that’s evolution) but I can’t see blaming vaccines, because the result is the same as if some part of the community contracted the bug anyway.

Does it speed up the super bugs, hard to say, but not nearly as fast as stopping a course of antibiotics.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

Gekko71 wrote:IIRC: Much of the concern with H1N1 is that when new flu varieties appear, they tend to strike in waves, with later waves being increasingly virilent.

H1N1 isn't brand new, it's the same strain as the 1918 flu virus.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

All that says is, that, eventually, mankind will outlive the flu virus.

This year is a good year compared to 1918.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

The H1N1 virus in 1918 was know as the Spanish flu which was was an unusually severe and deadly strain of avian influenza and a viral infectious disease.
The current H1N1 in the United States was found to be made up of genetic elements from four different flu viruses – North American Mexican influenza, North American avian influenza, human influenza, and swine influenza virus typically found in Asia and Europe This new strain appears to be a result of reassortment of human influenza and swine influenza viruses, in all four different strains of subtype H1N1.
Just because it has H1N1 as a designation title doesn't make it the same.

source= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H1N1
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Spidey wrote:I thought it was the misuse of antibiotics that caused super bugs?
{shortened for space sake}
The same applies to anything living or near living. Viruses are a little different in that while Most are destroyed, there is a small percentage that will survive and mute. That seems to be the case with small pox.

Bugs .. the creepy crawly kind .. do the same thing. While pesticides will kill 99.99% of whatever pest you want to "cide", there is still that small percentage that survive and pass that on to another generation so that over time a particular pesticide becomes ineffective. ... so they add another electron to the formula and it keeps working for a while. ;)
You will see this in bacterial infections more commonly I guess because they are more prolific.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

You are correct, and I said the same thing. But you haven’t explained the difference between vaccines and the actual bug…and its effects on a population.

IE: The germs do the same thing with or without a vaccine present in the system. (mutate)

You need to demonstrate how a population that becomes immune by vaccines, is any different from a population that becomes immune naturally.

More incubators left alive?

…………………………

I don’t know but…it seems to me that most of the variant strains are coming out of the populations that let the bugs spread and kill, instead of the populations that immunize.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

lulz