A people's history of the Internet

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

A people's history of the Internet

Post by Gekko71 »

...Time to let the nerd out:

One for all the nostalgic, geeky, computer freaks out there (You're out there somewhere, I know I'm not alone :lol:)

A people's history of the Internet:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/in ... et-arpanet

...For all those who actively avoid E&C, (but may have forgotten why :lol: ) I present the top 10 internet laws and rules:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... o-Poe.html

And finally - a truly prophetic view of the future from Time Magazine ...written in 1978:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html

Enjoy!
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Well, regarding the laws of the internet, I found out these to be too true:
7. Pommer’s Law
Proposed by Rob Pommer on rationalwiki.com in 2007, this states: “A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion.”
DeMyer's Law #2
The Second Law states: “Anyone who posts an argument on the internet which is largely quotations can be very safely ignored, and is deemed to have lost the argument before it has begun.
^^^the reason I never get involved in E&C long long posts^^^

and the contributed one I liked best:
#
The more uneducated the comment, the more likely the poster will state they possess advanced college degree(s). Corollary; The less a poster understands something, the more likely they will state numerous years professional experience.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Time Magazine, 1978 wrote:Leisure time, greatly increased, will be greatly enriched.
Boy talk about a facepalm for just how wrong an article could possibly be.
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

Well, it's better for the guy to be writing that kind of article than being hooked on drugs... ;)
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: A people's history of the Internet

Post by dissent »

Gekko71 wrote:...Time to let the nerd out:

And finally - a truly prophetic view of the future from Time Magazine ...written in 1978:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... -1,00.html

Enjoy!
Thanks Gekko. It's always fun to read these things; as hilarious for what they leave out as for what goes into the article.
Poet-Novelist Carol Spearin Mc-Cauley notes in her book Computers and Creativity (Praeger) that the well-programmed computer is freed from "the confines of English grammar, syntax and common usage ... The machine's lack of shame, so to speak, frees it to express many things that a writer, by habit used to excluding or censoring the ungrammatical, awkward or ambiguous, would not consider."
See - it predicted discussion boards. :P
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

10. The Law of Exclamation
First recorded in an article by Lori Robertson at FactCheck.org in 2008, this states: \"The more exclamation points used in an email (or other posting), the more likely it is a complete lie. This is also true for excessive capital letters.\"
this made me smile.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:
Time Magazine, 1978 wrote:Leisure time, greatly increased, will be greatly enriched.
Boy talk about a facepalm for just how wrong an article could possibly be.
It was true in the fertile crescent. Once people started farming they had free time to experiment with technology. Including better homes. Leisure time can be spent doing lots of work. Also look at Benjamin Franklin's life. He some had free time to mess around with technology.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm reading about worm. It's interesting.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Spaceboy »

Ferno wrote:
10. The Law of Exclamation
First recorded in an article by Lori Robertson at FactCheck.org in 2008, this states: "The more exclamation points used in an email (or other posting), the more likely it is a complete lie. This is also true for excessive capital letters."
this made me smile.
Hmm...

I would say there is an inverse relationship between Iq points and number of excessive exclamation points used by a person.