The Swine Flu

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

The Swine Flu

Post by SilverFJ »

...I have it. I dunno if anybody on this board has had it yet as I only pop my head in once and a while, but with a legal quaranteen I have quite nothing to do...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Nope.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I might of had it, but I didn't go to a doctor to be sure.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

I reckon I had it, my wife definitely did.

Doctors are no longer testing for it, so anyone who has the symptoms is pretty much being told to act as though it's Swine Flu.

They put my wife on Tamiflu cause she was showing all teh classic symptoms. Her case was bad - she was in bed for a fortnight>

She's fine now though - she described it as the worst flu she'd had in years, but not the worst flu ever, if that's any help.

Good to see you back Silver BTW. Long time no post! :-)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Be careful with your quarantine. You can shed live viruses for a WEEK after your symptoms let up. Get better soon though. I was miserable for a solid week in 1968 with the Hong Kong Flu and my husband caught the 1977 Swine Flu, so I can feel your pain.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

had it already, I havent been on my back sick in 15 years. this one put me down for a few days.
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Holy crap, this flu is burning through the population faster than the vaccine can be administered. Scary. I'd hate to see what would happen if the really nasty 1918 version hit us now with all the air travel we do.
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

You're already seeing it.

Owing to better health facilities it won't be as severe.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Read a snippet on the original 1918 pandemic and see how many parallels there are to this one;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

Another thing is that at that time a war was going on and the Governments of the day did not want to cancel the rallies and parades in order to keep moral up, and the War Effort going. This resulted in large masses of people that were in close quarters and therefore exposed to the virus. Odd how it targeted healthy young people with the best immune systems...

I know both my parents were exposed to it through their parents so I'm hoping I maybe I have some genetic help. I think the three days of sneezing, sore throat, achy, diarrhea thing I had last week matches many of H1N1's symptoms.

I happen to know for a fact that this thing is hitting our Natives and Northerners really hard, and it seems the Mexicans up here are severely affected as well.

I just wash my hands like a mofo and rapidly move away from the runny-nosed, wheezing, and open mouthed sneezing rednecks I see when grocery shopping.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

tunnelcat wrote:Holy crap, this flu is burning through the population faster than the vaccine can be administered. Scary. I'd hate to see what would happen if the really nasty 1918 version hit us now with all the air travel we do.
They aren't really releasing a vaccine to the public. The problem is, this virus behaves differently than other previous ones. The general concern is if the vaccine is mass released, the virus will just adapt, so they are limiting it to health workers.

Read it in PopSci.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

:lol:
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Nah, they're just slow in getting it produced in mass quantities. They have to use chicken eggs to incubate the virus and they're having trouble getting it to grow fast enough for mass production.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33420826

What's funny here in Oregon, there's been a surplus of the vaccine and they started offering free clinics in Portland to entice people to come in for a shot.

Problem is, this virus is already charging through the population before the vaccine will do any good. On top of that, it takes 2 doses, 3 to 4 weeks apart for maximum protection. A fat lot of good that'll do for those who are younger and at risk of death. But, I'm an old fart, probably immune, so I'm not as worried and I'm not going to bother to get the vaccine. However, I will wash my hands frequently just in case. There's a lot of other nasty bugs out there anyway.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

PopSci is always right :)...j/k

A few people here in Michigan have gotten it. I've moved around a ton, so I've noticed I don't get sick as often.

Lets hope my luck holds out.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Canuck wrote:Odd how it targeted healthy young people with the best immune systems...
Not really -- looks like the 1918 flu caused a cytokine storm. The better your immune system, the higher the risk to die by it.
ImageImage
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

We've been told we only need one dose and the lines are 3-4 hours long. The clinics end up telling people to stop coming even before they open the doors.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

If you have a chronic or preexisting condition which limits your immune system, go get a shot. If you are young or elderly, go get a shot.

Otherwise

Starts as a cold

Changes right into a flu (as soon as it starts go to the doctor)

Plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids

Be on the watch

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I caught it the first go-round was down for most of a week.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

CDN_Merlin wrote:We've been told we only need one dose and the lines are 3-4 hours long. The clinics end up telling people to stop coming even before they open the doors.
wow
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The average line up is 400 people at 7:30 in the morning. The clinic opens at 2:30pm.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Wow a 400 person line…sounds like a great place to catch the flu.
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Re:

Post by CUDA »

Spidey wrote:Wow a 400 person line…sounds like Government run Health-Care.
fixed it for ya :P
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I would walk the length of the line sneezing and coughing, mumbling \"you have been inoculated\"

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

BUBBALOU wrote:I would walk the length of the line sneezing and coughing, mumbling "you have been inoculated"
:lol:

Since this flu is hitting children the hardest, what about all those parents taking their kids out for trick or treating? Will they think about that as a possible flu spread risk to their little ones?

If you get a trick and don't like the nasty little tricksters, just sneeze on 'em. :wink:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Once again it's about weakened immune systems (like your kid who washes with antibacterial soap everyday and uses hand sanitizer after everything they touch)

Slap a surgical mask on them, Or better yet as a Parent handing out candy you wear the surgical mask and give them away as Halloween treats

Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Surgical masks do squat for viruses especially swine flu at 80-120 nm., they pass right through. I do agree though we are overdoing it with anti-bacterial everything... we are just breeding super-bugs.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

Canuck wrote:Surgical masks do squat for viruses especially swine flu at 80-120 nm., they pass right through. I do agree though we are overdoing it with anti-bacterial everything... we are just breeding super-bugs.
Weird, didn't know that. Guess I could've saved me a whole bunch of discomfort if i knew that when I had the swine.

Yup, I had it too. I wanted to die; I felt so horrible.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

my spouse and I had it together. We were both miserable as hell for almost a week and a half. Thankfully our 2 month old son didn't catch it and weather the storm pretty well thanks to his 'still' boosted immune system.