Stargate Universe (SGU)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Stargate Universe (SGU)

Post by Cyclone »

Any Stargate fans here? I Couldn't find this topic already posted.

Looks pretty cool. Well at least the trailer kinda does. The premier airs tonight here in Canada 9ET/6PT.

http://www.spacecast.com/shows/stargateuniverse.aspx

http://www.syfy.com/universe/

Trailer

I liked SG1 and Atlantis so I hope this series is good.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Insurrectionist »

Dang made me do a render this early in the morn.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r301 ... lantis.jpg
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

edit ( \"Availability Notes:The first episode will post on Oct. 3. Season 1 episodes are posted the day after they initially air on TV. The final five episodes will remain up until the next season begins.\" Another link: http://www.hulu.com/stargate-universe
)

With the dark scenes and shaky cam It looks like their cinematography is similar to Battlestar Galactica.

Yes I'm a Stargate SG1 fan. So far there isn't another Stargate franchise that I like. But this could change that if the actors aren't a bunch of cartoon characters.
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Why did the Sci-Fi channel change the spelling of \"Sci-Fi?\"

nevermind. :P (edit)
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

For the same reason you change your icon every two weeks… :wink:
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

SyFy has been screwy all day on my cable system. Anyone else?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Comcast?

we've been having all sorts of artifacts all week. It's cleared up the last day or two though.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It was respectable, though it's too early to say whether it can continue to hold attention.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

Yea it was alright. Could have been better. Too much like Battlestar. 2/3 BSG, 1/3 Atlantis and SG1, and 1/3 other. It's a lot more mature then the other seires. More blood, sex, violence and more serious.

You can't really judge a series by the first episode but I found it kinda boring. Too much going on and too much switching back and forth and not much story devolopment. Why did the planet explode????

The sets were pretty cool(although the gateroom was uninspiring) and I'm glad too see that humor is still in the show.

Insurrectionist --> looks like the real thing. Thumbs up. 8)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Maybe the core was made of naqahdah or something. They didn't really explain why it would explode, just that it would...
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

I think the core blew up because they had to tap directly into its energy.

I did find it to be on the boarderline of BSG. I hope they keep away from it.

It was a little boring, but they did need to explain the background and characters, but I think it could have been done differently in a better way to expediate the process.

I still look forward to the next episode.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

So no one finds that it's along the lines of lost in space. Just got lost a different way but still have to visit planet after planet to find the things they need in hopes to find their way home again. Been there done that.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Sirius wrote:Maybe the core was made of naqahdah or something. They didn't really explain why it would explode, just that it would...
When the planet started to get attacked, they stated the power core (which rely's on the planet's core) was going unstable due to the attacking ... so since they had the power right then, they used it to gate out before it blew.

Download the video and watch it again.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

Ok, I thought the last half of the premier was pretty decent although there was religous undertone which again reminds me of BSG :roll:

Last episode however was boring and cheesy humor... looks like this series may not keep my attention for long. :cry:
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

Yeah, the commercial looked corny, so I didn't bother with it. It seems like they're diverging too much from the original idea (the movie).
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I want to know why the commander on board the ship changes in appearance? What is the little stone thing he uses when he changes?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, he doesn't change per se... what that does is to cause the minds of two people (one on Earth, the other halfway across the universe) to trade bodies. Kind of the same effect, but the other way around. :D
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

It's an \"Ancient communication device.\" Back in SG1, it almost got Daniel and (what's her face :P ) Val(?) burned at the stake. I forget the why.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

for those of you who have not sufficiently channeled your inner geek
Vala escaped capture, and several months later visited Stargate Command while hunting for a treasure she believed had been left on Earth by the Ancients. She convinced Daniel to help her find it -- thanks in part to the kor Mak bracelets that bound the two together until she got her way. The treasure was uncovered, and along with it an Ancient long range communication device.

Vala and Daniel activated the device, which sent their consciousnesses to a distant galaxy. There they inhabited the bodies of Harrid and Sallis, and when Vala could not keep up the act of playing her role, she was discovered and publically burned to death in a clensing ceremony on an Ara. Only the intervention of a Prior of the Ori brought her back to life. The two were introduced to the Ori, a powerful new threat to our galaxy.
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I can't wait to watch the ship fly through the corona of the star to refuel. I mean can it be any more obvious. So let us pick out 15 people to put on a shuttle only to find out the ship has got every thing under control and will be refueled by the end of the next show.

What is next? Food and Water.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Yeah, the next, next episode will have them stopping at the intergalactic McDonalds drive-thru. :P
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I watched the first two videos on Free Video on Demand. It looks to be very interesting, and I look forward to the next episode.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Since the Stargate guys are making these episodes available to view online or download (for free) a day or two after it's shown on SyFy (more info on that at this site)... just download them via torrent (thus ignoring iTunes).

These episodes seem to be designed to give you a cliffhanger in every episode. (it's a \"Space Soap\" ... and they could use some)
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Well I was almost right they went through the corona into the star itself to fuel. I like the effects of the star as the were skimming the surface. Now from hot to cold.
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

What? I can't watch them online becuase I'm canadian... that sucks. :'(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You... should be able to. I recently caught up on episode 4 (albeit in horribly low resolution) from here: http://watch.spacecast.com/

They only have the last week's one though, so I guess it's not much good for anything BUT if you miss an episode...
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Did you consider torrent?
Cyclone
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cyclone »

Cool. Thanks Sirius. I did miss last night's episode. Yea but i'm too lazy to dl a torrent lol.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I'm too lazy to make sure I don't miss a streaming episode ... so dl works fine for me, and I get to see any missed episodes any time I want.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's great how the TV industry always makes sure the best option is the illegal one, isn't it?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Normally, getting the video by torrent would be illegal ... but because they made these episodes available for free just a day or two after each episode is aired ... using torrent to get these particular videos isn't illegal. (AFAIK)
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Man that episode was so predictable! If I was on that ship, I'd have said, \"This ship is obviously going to recharge itself by going through the sun.\" I would then be up in the observation deck sittin in the hot seat with a hotdog (i really was eating one at the time) and a cold drink, slowly nodding my head while saying \"I told ya so.\"

I still wouldn't doubt them stopping at a McDonalds next episode. :P
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

The last Science Fiction produced for TV that caught my eye, only lasted 5 episodes. :roll:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Spidey wrote:The last Science Fiction produced for TV that caught my eye, only lasted 5 episodes. :roll:
Which one was that?
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

My favorite was Firefly. Probably the best show on the planet with caracters that you can instantly remember their names and love, and with a great storyline and great one-liners. UNFORTUNATELY it only lasted 1 season, about 10 episodes.
Anyone watch Castle? (not sci fy) It's main character is the main character from Firefly. The first 30 seconds of this week's episode about Halloween had him dressed in his old Firefly outfit including his old gun, called himself a space cowboy, and even a little Firefly jingle sounded!

Anyway, what was your favorite, Spidey?
Insurrectionist
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Firefly had 14 episodes all can be seen on hulu. Then there is the movie Serenity gets a little more in the storyline.