A new Descent BB

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

A new Descent BB

Post by Sniper »

Is KoolBear still around? Is he actively maintaining the boards here? I wholeheartedly appreciate the forums here but was wondering...

What about a new Descent BB for the purpose of having an up-to-date forum Web site with the latest security patches and the ease of future updates?

I imagine this has been brought up before, but what about now? I know someone with the resources for setting it up...
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

There are already 2 DBBs on the net. Don't need another one.

Edit: I think also because of all the mods made into this BB it would be costly to migrate it to another software.

I would love to see a newer type BB software like somce I use for my racing forums but the admins don't want to make the changes. Or they have their own reasons.
Sniper
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sniper »

I'm not suggesting a new one. I'm suggesting a replacement of the Descent BB to address the security issues and perhaps move the board out of 1998.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I agree with that as I mentioned in my EDIT. But I don't think the admins want to. You need to find out if they want it. I'm all for it.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I was thinking about a new dbb that didn't require a moderator. Only an admin to manage the code and server. Basically all the users could decide who could see or what could happen with their threads. And banning/kicking would be done with votes. The higher ranking your account is the more your account is worth, when voting. And the more votes it takes to ban.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Sadly we need MODS. To many flame wars happen and things must be locked or deleted. Also, there are children who visit this forum and sadly some with how humans work, some would abuse that power.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

It would be up to the owner to lock his own thread. If it doesn't get locked then you just need a few people to \"vote lock & hide from public\".
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

I was going to post a new thread but I found this, so here goes. Is there anything new we could do to this site, such as use tinyportal like planetdescent.com? Is there a way we could make the site look a little more up-to-date?
CDN_Merlin wrote:Sadly we need MODS. To many flame wars happen and things must be locked or deleted. Also, there are children who visit this forum and sadly some with how humans work, some would abuse that power.
I have never been a moderator before, and I don't know how to be one, but I would volunteer because I basically lurk around here a couple of times a day.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Sniper wrote:replacement of the Descent BB to address the security issues
What security issues?
Why doesn't it work?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Support for phpBB 2.x has completely ended, no more security patches for this version of the board.

Also because 2.x requires old versions of php and SQL which have their own security bugs that will not be patched it it another nail in the coffin.

An update to the forum software wouldn't be *that* hard, but it would still require a solid chunk of time.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

What's so bad about flame wars?
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

Hey guys, why havent we updated to the new phpbb3? its totally free and more shiny and new
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

S13driftAZ wrote:Hey guys, why havent we updated to the new phpbb3? its totally free and more shiny and new
Changes to the descentbb.net code needs to go through the admins then the state legislatures with unanimous approval. It then takes 15 years to go into effect.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

You have to realize that this DBB runs on an old version of phpBB, and has some custom code in place. Upgrading it isn't like a quick generic phpBB 2->3 change. It would involve considerable work.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Foil wrote:You have to realize that this DBB runs on an old version of phpBB, and has some custom code in place. Upgrading it isn't like a quick generic phpBB 2->3 change. It would involve considerable work.
I see your point. Why upgrade when it would take just as much effort to go with an entirely new system that works better!
All in favor of Foil's idea starting over with a GWT build say aye!
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

I will be answering some old posts to let people know of the upcoming upgrade.

Read more here...
viewtopic.php?t=17870

KB
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: A new Descent BB

Post by KoolBear »

Ok, the first stage of the upgrade is done. the backend is running the latest version of phpbb.