DVD Player MP3 Track Gain

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

DVD Player MP3 Track Gain

Post by AceCombat »

okay im trying to make a MP3 DVD for my DVD Player. what is a good value to make the gain levels for the player? ive burned 5 DVD's so far and they all are very low in volume! right now im at 94 dB across the board
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

why DVDs?

You sure the dvd player isn't doing any volume adjustment, like night mode or anything?

the best way to deal with the issue is to use the volume control.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

why DVD? because i have a 3GB+ music library and i want it on one disc.

this player doesnt have night mode (i think) and the volume is at max on the player. it still comes out very low on my receiver and TV. ill try one more disc @ 100 if that dont work ill give up and just use my PC with a Audio Cable
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

What burning software are you using? What make and model of DVD player, and are you using the RCA style digital, analog, or optical outputs?
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

CDBurner XP

Samsung (Ill get back to you on that)

RCA Digital Output on Bitstream Output
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Lots of DVD players and other equipment when using the digital out will set the output level to a certain value. Regardless of the material levels the digital level will stay the same. I have a Sony with a really low digital output that requires me to bump up the input levels on my receiver by +6 db. in order to get any decent volume. Try the analog out and see if the levels improve or if your receiver has input trim and bump up the levels.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

SPDIF (optical or coaxial) has a fixed volume, it is meant to be used to pipe audio into a decoder to then be amplified. Adjusting the volume at the source end is meaningless and worst case can lead to clipping.
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Krom is correct about the fixed volume bit and also about recording \"too hot\" or clipping. Also levels depend on the manufacturer's preferences and the decoders used in the receiving equipment.

I've noticed SPDIF signal levels have dropped from 5 volt TTL values to .600 volts, with some cheap equipment measuring in at .350 volts. Also receivers vary signal levels quite a bit when certain sound-fields are chosen as well as decoding schemes.

Try analog out and see if the levels improve.

* Edit;
The Intel HD audio uses a 3.3 Volt standard vs a 5 Volt standard. That's why the optical out on most modern 'puters are on the \"low end\" volume wise as well. I'm glad I saved my Audigy 2.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Canuck; its digital, the voltage doesn't matter so long as the decoder still gets the message. And optical SPDIF doesn't even have a voltage, it uses a fiber optic cable that doesn't even conduct electricity. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

its a Samsung DVD 1080P9, but i ran it @ 98 dB and it sounds nice now
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

Krom Co-ax uses a voltage and it does too fricken' matter especially on long runs. Also I am very aware optical doesn't pass a voltage. I have a degree in Robotics and Industrial Electronics plus I ran a repair shop for 12 years... I still fix stuff but its Industrial boards and controllers among other things. Also I design, supply, and install complex whole home AV systems. I fixed my first radio in 1968, I was five and it used tubes.

Good show Ace... no clipping?
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

When voltage is lower, bits are lost, lost bits = lower volumes... experienced this first hand on a long SPDIF run. I had to bump down the decoding rates and bump up the input levels to compensate.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Canuck wrote:
Good show Ace... no clipping?

yeah its good, only a couple sporadic and random clips

now let me ask this, PCM or bitstream ? which is better
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

For MP3/CD audio PCM is equivalent to uncompressed (only as good as the source file mind you). Bitstreaming is more for Dolby Digital/DTS (like from DVDs) although I suppose it is possible for MP3 too since they are also bitstreams but I don't know of any amplifier that can decode it... Most likely when you play an MP3 it is just falling back on PCM, a decent amp (like a yamaha in stereo mode) will be able to tell you what is coming over the wire.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ok
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

then again, a cheap Mp3 player would solve most of your problems in one go.