What is your Descent 1/2/3 level editing background?

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

D1/2: None - - - D3: None
12%
D1/2: None - - - D3: Beginner
9%
D1/2: None - - - D3: Experienced
6%
D1/2: Beginner - - - D3: None
12%
D1/2: Beginner - - - D3: Beginner
6%
D1/2: Beginner - - - D3: Experienced
3%
D1/2: Experienced - - - D3: None
15%
D1/2: Experienced - - - D3: Beginner
18%
D1/2: Experienced - - - D3: Experienced
18%

Total votes: 33
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

Hi everyone. I thought it might be interesting to get an idea of how level editing knowledge is distributed between versions of descent. One of the things I always found interesting about the descent community is that it seems to have a higher than usual percentage of level editing members, (at least for Descent 1 and 2).

Additionally, I've been interested in a number of the community level sets that have been developed, and quite a while ago I was interested in possibly proposing such a project. Alliteration aside, I've put that thought on hold indefinitely, as free time has not been an especially plentiful resource lately.

The poll could obviously be higher resolution, but I felt that adding an \"Intermediate\" skill level and raising the option count from 9 to 16 would be a bit overkill. (Even 9 are a bit much.) Likewise, I thought breaking the poll into two posts, (for D1/2 and D3 respectively), would have been overkill as well.

Take care everyone. :)
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

I am HORRIBLE at level editing. Ive been through every guide and I still can't get it.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I've done all three, although I haven't used the new D1/D2 editor. I had a hard time with it as someone reversed the controls. Never used Devil much, but I think it would be easy to pick it up after learning the D3 editor.

My D3 scripting skills are feeble and I haven't done much table file editing. So I may be experienced, but far from expert. ;)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Duper wrote:I've done all three, although I haven't used the new D1/D2 editor. I had a hard time with it as someone reversed the controls.
That was a mistake and has been changed since. ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

i was told that was intentional.

well, in any case, I'm not making levels anymore.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I've made gobs of levels for all three Descents and consider myself an expert in level making. I'm currently, slowly, but surely working on a huge level called Azaran Zodiark for d2x-xl, but no release date yet.
gameaddict11707
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by gameaddict11707 »

I'm great at D1/2 editing, using DMB II, but D3Edit is completely foreign to me. I guess some are just gifted with the talent for using it & some aren't.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've been designing D2 levels for years, although I've never released any of them. Two D3 levels by me are in the D3 install package from Dateilliste, but only one of them (Onyx Secret Base) is any good imo, and the structure still looks really bare and primitive. The only things about it that are any good at all are the mercenary robots in it.

Now I only design levels for D2X-XL, because it gives me way more freedom than standard D2. Most of my levels (even the small ones) use more than 900 cubes now.

I'm working on a large D2X-XL singleplayer levelset, which will have the standard D1/D2 objectives, but bigger, more detailed levels than standard D2 missions, and the levels will use all possible D2X-XL features, plus an original .ogg soundtrack.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Back in the day, I did a lot of Descent 2 designing, with almost 40 levels of various quality saved somewhere. Recently, I tried my hand at a Descent 1 level set and learned a lot. Descent 3...I know nothing.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I voted D3 beginner. While I have dabbled with the editor, and know some about level making, I've never made one. Yet.
Descer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Descer »

Intermediate in D1+2 none in D3.
It's just a game. Face it.