The Girl Effect

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

The Girl Effect

Post by Gekko71 »

http://www.girleffect.org/

Worth supporting - wholeheartedly!

Forget the (I thought somewhat preachy) opening video - go straight to the real life stories.

Share it with others if you choose to.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I personally think that it's over-targeted.

I'd rather support a cause that generally provides education for anyone and everyone who's willing to go to it.

Think about it: More educated men will tend to break away from the bigoted ideas that keep women out of schools, too. People generally need education... I think it's silly to target one certain group when the whole society needs it.

Maybe I'm a bigot, though.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Keep them barefoot and pregnant I say... :P
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

worked for me :wink:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” 

― Theodore Roosevelt
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

It's long been known (among those who operate or work with charities in the developing world) that getting girls involved is a HUGE key to turning a place around.

Partly this is because girls are allowed/expected to do less, so if you put a girl in position to succeed, on average you've done more good than if you did the same for a boy.

Partly it's because girls are the next generation's mothers, the ones who instill values and work ethic and all those other things in their children. Reach a girl today and you reach a whole family next generation.

Partly it's because, in many cultures, girls are treated like breeding stock, and end up having children they can't really take care while they're still children themselves. Put the same girl in a position to delay childbirth and to be able to raise her children when they do finally come, and you transform the structure of the population, making it more sustainable.

Even better, though, is reaching an entire village. Reach the girls AND the boys, and the next generation will be far better off than this one.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

interesting, Gekko, and thanks for the context, Lothar. Was very helpful.
Tankie2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Tankie2 »

woodchip wrote:Keep them barefoot and pregnant I say... :P
Say what?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

Tankie2 wrote:
woodchip wrote:Keep them barefoot and pregnant I say... :P
Say what?
He has thing for hillbilly chicks. :wink:
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Actually, the solution is God's Government (Kingdom).