Have to vent

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Have to vent

Post by SuperSheep »

So, I've been working on a website for a business for the last several months and as most of the work up to this point has been coding, I have only recently begun to go back through the HTML markup and CSS to clean them up a bit and I came to the conclusion that...

Whoever decided to make Padding not part of Width is a freakin moron and needs to be held accountable for mine, and countless other developers who've had to deal with this! Why on earth do I need not one, but two specs (margin and padding) that go beyond my content's \"width\" value. Why not throw one of them out?

I mean, when you think padding, I think of packaging something in a box and the \"padding\" is the bubble wrap and my box is well...my box, and the width of the box is well...the width of my box. Who the F thinks padding is on the outside of the box? WHO!

Then, you got the term IE Box Bug which considering how most people think of IE, is meant to be a bad thing, when in fact Microsoft got it right (for once). So, now we need CSS3 and some new spec to actually make a box the width we want with the padding on the inside where it's supposed to be.

Coulda saved a lot of time and just shot whoever's brain child this was.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

I sometimes wonder if software developers live in the same world as I do.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

developers ideally should read documentation before implementing it.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

And big evil corporations should follow standards. :wink:
Why doesn't it work?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

What's the fun in that?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

fliptw wrote:developers ideally should read documentation before implementing it.
It has been a while since I worked on a CSS based website so I have to admit, the last time I designed one was when IE ruled the roost and padding just worked as it should.

However, the spec sucks, and even after reading it, it still sucks!
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

Spidey wrote:I sometimes wonder if software developers live in the same world as I do.
Well, I have a mechanic friend who could go on a tirade about how the design of a particular component on a car makes his life miserable and what special tools he requires because of it. I simply roll my eyes, kinda like what your doing, and thank god I don't have his job. heh.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

I think every developer has stories of the crap they have to deal with.

My favorite right now is an obscure bug I recently tracked down to a bit of code which looked something like this (names changed to protect the innocent):

Code: Select all

void SomeClass::Load()
{
  LONG lVal = GetIndex();
  m_pObject = (CObject *)lVal; // use the pointer to store the index; we have a function to fix this later
}
:roll:
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

Foil wrote:I think every developer has stories of the crap they have to deal with.

My favorite right now is an obscure bug I recently tracked down to a bit of code which looked something like this (names changed to protect the innocent):

Code: Select all

void SomeClass::Load()
{
  LONG lVal = GetIndex();
  m_pObject = (CObject *)lVal; // use the pointer to store the index; we have a function to fix this later
}
:roll:
Ouch! I've been working with C# for this project and at first I really missed pointers...I'm starting to not miss them so much anymore.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

disabled=\"disabled\"
checked=\"checked\"

Makes so much more sense as a standard than
disabled=\"true\"
checked=\"true\"

*sarcasm intended*

HTML and JavaScript is teh f*cked up.