Descent reborn?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Descent reborn?

Post by Behemoth »

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Interplay ... 32784.html#

I don't know about you guys, But i'm going to purchase new stock in this company and i think we all need to take part in this new game.

We need someone who can do coding, ideas for weapons (although i already have a few in mind ;))

We need people who can code a fully operational chat server into the game with full server support and relay to other servers for back up support.

We'll need someone who can create 3d models for the levels and ships.

Some good coders, and full anticheat support, (against, aimbots, wall hacking, and weapon tweaking)

We also need someone who can make some good electronica music MIDI tracks for the in game soundtrack support and people who are talented with guitars who can make some dark industrial metal tracks like bands such as skinny puppy, type o negative.

We need full P2P support so games across the world will be as even as possible without the need to have to have a LAN.

If i'm missing anything please include ideas, I feel like this is our chance.

OH and i think the game should be called:
The Descent.

I will be looking into legal counseling after i buy into the company for copyright infringement over the trademarked name Descent after those movies that were made while the company who has had that name trademarked for years went bankrupt and had no profit from it whatsoever.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

What Krom said, I think it's stupid to make demands.

We're years away from a game. If you guys want another Descent. go make it on the UT3 engine, it now supports 360 degree movement and all controllers. The development kit is free now and you have access to everything except some of the core engine features.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

There is a difference between making demands at other people and purchasing you're american right to build something new.

No one else is qualified enough to make this game but us, and that's how it's going to be made.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I'd be careful, Valin Halcyon has tread down this same path and it didn't end well.

Better to wait and see what happens as a bystander, imo.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

If someone like \"us\" is going to do it, they should branch off and be original. Breath some new life into it, and wipe the slate clean, so to speak.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Darktalyn1 wrote:I'd be careful, Valin Halcyon has tread down this same path and it didn't end well.

Better to wait and see what happens as a bystander, imo.
They were doing it for profit and there were some extreme personality conflicts. Legal conflicts shut them down. If you do it for free, then all is well.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I don't care about money, i just want to see it through.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Personally, IF interplay gets this off the ground (before I'm eligible for SSI) I'd like to see them use the Crytek 3 Engine.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

unreal is a tad cheaper.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh?

what does each cost?
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I say we create a new game engine.

And this game should have open source from the beginning, so dev mods can create new game support.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a port for ps3, xbox, wii, and win 32bit, 64bit and linux support.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Um... are you making fun of yourself? Or parodying someone?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Descent reborn?

Post by DarkHorse »

Behemoth wrote:i'm going to purchase new stock in this company
Don't.
TheWhat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheWhat »

descent games are like the biggest cockteases on earth. \"for 50 bux we can go to the broom closet.\"
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Sorry, but i am.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Say goodbye to your money then.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

From another thread on the same topic:
Duper wrote:Reading through the forum posting on Duck-n-Cover where all this originated and the actual filing, there is some wild speculation going on. Once again, don't believe anything until it's announced by the company in question.

In short, this is all over the exchange of stock. No reason was given why stocks changed hands. In fact, it seems it's been going on for a while.
ya know.. I'm not impressed with the writers over at Tom's when they don't take the 30 minutes to run the info on something like this down and post real info. :roll:
It's not like it wasn't accessible. The original posters, however premature, to their credit linked all their sources.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

There is also this site that looks more official than a forum (but I'm not holding my breath)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Interplay ... 32784.html

And if you want coders, object makers, etc, you're looking for Descent ODF. We're making a \"Descent 4.\" It's really called Flight Back. It's all open source.
http://www.odf-online.org/homepage/index.php
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

No, those aren't the original. Tom's links to DuckandCover.com. And they have links to the actual stock exchange documents. Much of what was said was taken from some guys blog GUESSING at what all the shares changing hands meant. There has been no official word from any of the companies. On the other hand, there is a wonderful tree of Corporate hierarchy as to who owns whom on one of the sites. I was interested to learn that Micropose owns a ton of these gaming companies and is nearly at the top of the ladder.

**OH!!**

becareful! I picked up a virus off of one of those sites this morning at work. Fubar'd my system. :P It's embedded in one of the ads.

(Sorry Zero. I don't mean to argumentative, but over the last year, I've learned how to really tunnel for info when it comes to these kinda rumors. Most of the time, they originate at a twitter post (which are dang near untrackable) or someone's extrapolation of a financial report.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Darktalyn1 wrote:.... has tread down this same path and it didn't end well.
Since when is "stalking" called "treading" ... this must be some form of new internet slang.. I love skewed facts

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

DarkHorse wrote:Say goodbye to your money then.
Like it matters, i throw money away everytime i spend at the gas pump, or buy food.
What's any different? at least i'm buying into a company i support.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Since when is \"stalking\" called \"treading\" ... this must be some form of new internet slang.. I love skewed facts
Do you even try to make sense when you post?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

So it's a pity donation instead of an investment. I seeeeeee.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Darktalyn1 wrote:Do you even try to make sense when you post?
If you know the truth it makes absolutely perfect sense.... Shall I hold your hand or can you actually find out on your own?

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

DarkHorse wrote:So it's a pity donation instead of an investment. I seeeeeee.
No, it's me doing american business when i buy into a company and am willing to actually do work (OMG) without hope of getting paid to do something i love.

Shew fly, don't bother me.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I won't be convinced about a new descent until it's released and I'm playing it. Until then, I'm not gonna get all hyped up again for nothing. (BTW, if you want my help, I'll do what I can.)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

oh so you're doing volunteer work then, behemoth?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

Behemoth wrote:No, it's me doing american business when i buy into a company and am willing to actually do work (OMG) without hope of getting paid to do something i love.

Shew fly, don't bother me.
If American business involves throwing money at lost causes in deluded outbursts of wishful thinking, it's no wonder your economy is going down the toilet.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

No, it's not that. The American economy is \"in the toilet\" because of massive unpaid dept by both credit card holders and also the American Government.

With regards to Behemoth's choice in this matter ... The American P.T. Barnum is widely (but erroneously) credited with coining the phrase \"There's a sucker born every minute.\" and it's true. This applies to \"American Business\" very well because in a free market society, if you (without breaking any laws) can convince a person to willingly hand over his money to you, and the amount he hands over to you is more than what it cost you to get him to do that, then you've made a profit. The more the merrier.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Ferno wrote:oh so you're doing volunteer work then, behemoth?
whatever it takes, seems like none of you guys love the game enough to do anything but scoff at visionairies like me.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

no, it's called realism.

I'm not willing to build over 2000 texture and foli files as well as 2 gig+ of engine code. If we could do this, do you think we wouldn't be doing it for a living? and those that do, don't want to do it in their spare time with amateurs.

If you are looking to build a game you can sell, forget it. The anything \"descenty\" will get slapped with a suit so hard and fast, you'll be picking toe nails out of your teeth for months.

Nothing wrong with dreaming. But when you start after those dreams, you need to know what you're really up against. A lot of us have been here for over a decade.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Behemoth wrote:
Ferno wrote:oh so you're doing volunteer work then, behemoth?
whatever it takes, seems like none of you guys love the game enough to do anything but scoff at visionairies like me.
It's a sore spot bud. Everyone wants a new Descent, but there have been so many letdowns, no one wants to get their hopes up. Try to not take it personally.
darklord42
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by darklord42 »

TechPro wrote:No, it's not that. The American economy is "in the toilet" because of massive unpaid dept by both credit card holders and also the American Government.
I love that picture! :D

Seriously, how are we suppose to learn from our mistakes if we don't even have any concept what those mistakes were? And the housing bubble crisis was what? A nuisance? I'll tell you what, you really should look into it. Really, it's a fascinating story full of intrigue, ponzy schemes and a whole lot of people trying to make a quick buck without regard to longtime health for their company or the economy as a whole. I'll let you in on a little secret; it wasn't because of the national debt. It is true that will become a problem in a few years if nothing is done about it. But it won't lead to depression so much as a real hamper on our government's ability to govern and our ability to further continue as a world leader.

@Behemoth: I hope your joking.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Duper wrote: Nothing wrong with dreaming. But when you start after those dreams, you need to know what you're really up against. A lot of us have been here for over a decade.
So have I Duper.
floppyfreak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by floppyfreak »

What do you want to do? A community driven or a commercial project? Or a combination of both? How can that work?
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

People, you do realise that there is such a thing called ModDB.com, and there are thousands of indie games created from scratch. There are forums and crap where you can hire texture artists and coders.

I hear this talk of unwillingness and negativity and it upsets me. :cry:
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

My whole OS was created by people volunteering their time.... sort of 'cept for the part that was funded by comporations like sun and stuff.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

snoopy wrote:My whole OS was created by people volunteering their time.... sort of 'cept for the part that was funded by comporations like sun and stuff.
Yeah, and your whole OS is constantly teetering on the edge of legal disaster because of the way the copyright laws in the US are written.