Guest account wifi

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Guest account wifi

Post by EngDrewman »

I turned on the guest account on my Win 7 computer so that a friend can use it without access to system settings and my files. However, since the guest acct has all limitations turned on by default (with no obvious way to change it), it cannot connect to a wireless network. Is there a way to override permissions to allow the guest account to control the wireless connection?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

could alwasy make him a limited account.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by EngDrewman »

Huh? The guest account is a limited account. The problem is that it won't let the guest account connect to a wireless network, which in the case of a laptop is a bit of a problem...
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

guest account is not the same as a standard account/limited account.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

If you want, setting your router to accept computers based on their MAC address will allow any account from that computer to connect. However you must get the MAC address of all devices that will use your router, and input them into the router's \"accept\" list.

Edit:
Also you will not need WEP keys anymore... Which might be a plus if you hate typing them into things like mp3 players and game systems.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Isaac wrote:If you want, setting your router to accept computers based on their MAC address will allow any account from that computer to connect. However you must get the MAC address of all devices that will use your router, and input them into the router's "accept" list.

Edit:
Also you will not need WEP keys anymore... Which might be a plus if you hate typing them into things like mp3 players and game systems.
Extremely bad idea, spoofing a MAC address is stupidly easy. Even with a private MAC filter, if you use no other security then everything that you transmit is blasted out unencrypted for all to see and record if they are so inclined.

Also WEP is too easy to break (can be cracked in a matter of minutes). Instead use WPA2 with a long (20+ characters) mixed case alphanumeric password, it would literally take YEARS to crack.

If your devices don't support WPA2 in this day and age then it is time to throw them out, they are security risks just by existing.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the two previous posters actually never read the thread.
EngDrewman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by EngDrewman »

fliptw wrote:the two previous posters actually never read the thread.
x2
Krom wrote:If your devices don't support WPA2 in this day and age then it is time to throw them out...
Unless they're a Nintendo DS or ur roommate's computer.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Isaac wrote:If you want, setting your router to accept computers based on their MAC address will allow any account from that computer to connect. However you must get the MAC address of all devices that will use your router, and input them into the router's "accept" list.

Edit:
Where do you live? Can I come be your neighbor?

I hardly use windows but isn't the guest account not for a user? Isn't it there for other reasons? Can't you make a new fresh limited account yourself? that way you can set it to allow what you want to allow. Though, my last adventure into windows security basically turned up very limited.
Why doesn't it work?