Miner Wars Alpha in-game video with 6DOF

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by TigerRaptor »

roid wrote:Wow this IS sounding more and more like nTrap
A faded memory.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

roid wrote:
With so many people in there, the tunnels will quickly hollow out bigger and bigger from all the missed shots. The landscape could look quite interesting, neighbouring tunnels eventually meeting up with one another until the landscape simplifys down to just one huge raggity hollow misshapen sphere - continually growing with all the stray bullet spam.
Wut? No doors to trigger ambushes?
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Gekko71 »

Bump.

New video featuring physics and solar wind effect posted today. See it at http://www.minerwars.com/

I like the way the chain guns kick your opponent's ship around :)
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Darghan »

Spidey wrote:In my opinion the first thing a company should release is a working demo…and not all of this tease.
Spidey how do you envision us getting enough audience in order to pay for the game development mate? :)

Silence and then releasing a demo wont make things work I am afraid.

Thx for all your positive replys guys I will be watching these forums from now on.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Wait! Can it be? The man behind the curtain of Miner Wars! This is awesome! Welcome to the DBB!
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Welcome!! ImageImageImage
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

thx

Post by Darghan »

a big thx for your welcome guys :)
Guys were now looking for people to help us with the project.
These are the areas:
3D modelling
Basic Routine Programming and scripting
Game promotion (marketing)
Idea contribution

All of this is really welcome in our project. We hope were making the very next descent with mining and space combat/exploration and we need all the help we can get :).

So just that you know there will be sectors where you will only be underground. The game is an open universe where we want to put as much as we can. Were counting on our community to help us with the project. Descent community is one of those that we put much faith into.

your welcome to visit: www.minerwars.com for more info
Tomas \"Darghan\" Psenicka
Sales and Marketing
Keen Software House ltd.
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Darghan »

woodchip wrote:
roid wrote:
With so many people in there, the tunnels will quickly hollow out bigger and bigger from all the missed shots. The landscape could look quite interesting, neighbouring tunnels eventually meeting up with one another until the landscape simplifys down to just one huge raggity hollow misshapen sphere - continually growing with all the stray bullet spam.
Wut? No doors to trigger ambushes?
Underground sectors = doors = ambushes :)
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Darghan »

Templeton wrote:Roid said- "The asteroids can be of such epic size that you could have an entire hollowed out "Descent" mine structure in there."

There was a quote by the original developer on their website, talking about how they could eventually have fully destructible asteroids that are the equivelant of our Moon in size.

Imagine a couple of those, with tunnels and a base inside, and then 300+ ships fighting it out between them in CTF or something.

Wheeee......
Current HW limitations (means that our game has to run on old 6600 GT cards) limit us to roughly maximum 8kms in size asteroids. But we can push much -- much more.
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Release the team and all that crap :)

Post by Darghan »

Guys its not a secret that we are a small team. We are a startup and were pushing our game and studio to be as big as Interplay was back in the old days. Do you seriously think that a high-end studio like EA or Ubisoft would have the balls to put 100 MIL EUR into a descent project? The answer is no. What we are trying to achieve here is brining all space sim fans out there together and have them play and develop the game. After the release were also putting our engine on the plate for other indie guys out there who want to make games. We want this engine to be the startup point for other descent/space games to grow and flourish. At this moment though we have got a good interest in the game from some well-sized publishers out there. The game is not dead. Its on its start and we are going to release it and make it great.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Keep it going. I'm interested in it. Sadly my PC is kinda old but hopefull can upgrade in a year or two.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

Gekko71 wrote:Bump.

New video featuring physics and solar wind effect posted today. See it at http://www.minerwars.com/

I like the way the chain guns kick your opponent's ship around :)
Thanks for posting this, Gekko. I am now quite impressed. I like the way the ship moves, and the solar wind effects --- and the ability to hide from it.

I am really looking forward to see the first video of a frantic dogfight. Whether this will work is, IMHO, a big part of whether the game will succeed.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

yes i too think that GAMEPLAY will make or break the game. I guess they are fielding for ideas guys.

The engine and graphics look good, now it's just a matter of constraining the abilities of the player enough that it gives challenging goals and makes the game interesting.

the vapourware game nTrap was so open ended, players seemed way too powerful, i couldn't see how it was viable as a \"game\" concept.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Well Darghan,

Speaking from a totally capitalist pig perspective…. :P

You run your idea by some investors, and if they like your idea…they invest.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Pandora »

roid wrote:The engine and graphics look good, now it's just a matter of constraining the abilities of the player enough that it gives challenging goals and makes the game interesting.
exactly!
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Darghan »

lol this is no Ntrap guys :))
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Darghan »

Spidey wrote:Well Darghan,

Speaking from a totally capitalist pig perspective…. :P

You run your idea by some investors, and if they like your idea…they invest.
being an ex top management executive at an international software house I too see a potential in investors :) but they usually take too much freedom from your concept and this usually ruins the whole thing
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

The longer you take to make it, the better change I have to having a newer PC. So take your time. :D
Sllik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sllik »

My skepticism is waning. I guess we'll see. =)

On a different tangent, Jumpgate Evolution is taking way too long to get released. Damnit.
Templeton
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Templeton »

Guys, have not been very active on the forum, but most everyone knows me from the Descent games over the years.

I have been watching Miner Wars with great interest over the past 6 months, and my honest opinion is that this is as close as anyone will ever get to a game that exemplifies everything we have loved about the Descent and Freespace series (short of Descent 4, which is taboo to mention anymore).

My suggestion is that we spread the word in the community, and let everyone visit the site and see for themselves. I believe that the Descent/Freespace community can and should play a vital role in this project. Given some of the ideas, art, mods, etc.... over the years, there is a large collective knowledge base and brain trust right here.

This team may be small, but Marek has laid most of the foundation. So if they can tap into the wealth of ideas already generated (ship designs, weapons and even some level design to name a few) then it becomes a win/win for all. As mentioned, they are making this open and asking for input. We know there is no shortage of \"input\" around here, so lets focus that towards something productive.

BTW, I suggest a ship like the BlackPyro would be nice, with dual homers.... Oh, and dont forget the Mass Driver (also, if you speed up the chain gun a bit, its alot like a Vauss!)

Perhaps the Miner Wars team could join us for a few matches in Descent, would love to have you guys check it out first hand if you have not already. Im sure there is not shortage of people that would be willing to help get you up too speed.

Heck, I will buy everyone on the team a copy of Descent 3 (up to about 5 copies, probably the most I can find locally) and ship it too you if you promise to join us some time.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Hmm, well ok here's an idea for MinerWars:

If you are going to make the ships capable of strafing in any direction, make sure it fits the design of the ship.
The ships in Descent (particular D1 which has no afterburner capability) are stupid in that they can move in any direction THE SAME SPEED even though they only have engines on the rear of the craft.
The Descent craft were dumbly designed with aerodynamics in mind, they have useless vestigial wings as if they \"fly\". It's just coz that's what we all expect to see in a space-ship - something that looks like an aircraft - we're idiots.

A Descent ship properly designed to match it's actual capabilities would be covered in relatively equally sized engines (or at least exhaust ports) on all sides, not just on the back.

I like how in Psygnosis Lander, the main engine is on the bottom of the craft, and you can thus only really thrust upwards (the rest is just all about what direction your craft and thus engine is pointing). It's a realistic design.

To have only huge rear engines on a MinerWars craft that can strafe left and right just as easily as thrust forwards - would be a design mistake.
I'm not yet particular familiar with the MinerWars ships, but from the videos (particularly the most recent one that first demonstrates a solar \"wind\" (do you mean to say \"flare\"?)) i notice that the ships have visible rocket exhaust comming from all around the ship. Good job :)

i understand you have a call out for new more ship designs, this may cause a problem with unmatching design styles (which could be a good thing), or even worse: unmatching design STANDARDS OF REALISM.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Oh good grief. :roll:

can we PLEASE not go there.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by NUMBERZero »

Duper wrote:Oh good grief. :roll:

can we PLEASE not go there.
X2

No Mass Driver/sniper type weapon. People will use it for close quarters combat and that usually comes straight down to who has the better ping. The Mass Driver also trumps every other weapon in the game, making it horribly unbalanced.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by NUMBERZero »

double post
Darghan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Darghan »

Templeton wrote:Guys, have not been very active on the forum, but most everyone knows me from the Descent games over the years.

I have been watching Miner Wars with great interest over the past 6 months, and my honest opinion is that this is as close as anyone will ever get to a game that exemplifies everything we have loved about the Descent and Freespace series (short of Descent 4, which is taboo to mention anymore).

My suggestion is that we spread the word in the community, and let everyone visit the site and see for themselves. I believe that the Descent/Freespace community can and should play a vital role in this project. Given some of the ideas, art, mods, etc.... over the years, there is a large collective knowledge base and brain trust right here.

This team may be small, but Marek has laid most of the foundation. So if they can tap into the wealth of ideas already generated (ship designs, weapons and even some level design to name a few) then it becomes a win/win for all. As mentioned, they are making this open and asking for input. We know there is no shortage of "input" around here, so lets focus that towards something productive.

BTW, I suggest a ship like the BlackPyro would be nice, with dual homers.... Oh, and dont forget the Mass Driver (also, if you speed up the chain gun a bit, its alot like a Vauss!)

Perhaps the Miner Wars team could join us for a few matches in Descent, would love to have you guys check it out first hand if you have not already. Im sure there is not shortage of people that would be willing to help get you up too speed.

Heck, I will buy everyone on the team a copy of Descent 3 (up to about 5 copies, probably the most I can find locally) and ship it too you if you promise to join us some time.
Hey mate thx for the "calling to arms" thing :). No need to get me a copy Ive got one of my own. However I installed it yesterday again and I am having a strange issue. Not being able to finish the training. After I do that frickin stupid mission it does not let me go to the normal missions even though I finished it :P. Anyway I am not really having time to do gaming now since were really pushing. Btw if you look at the ships maneuvering capabilities you will see that we really had descent in mind. Just take out the idea of joystick. We have designed the game for mouse control or stick control on xbox.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Will you have stick control on the PC? If not I doubt there will be many Descent players (non-mousers) trying it.

Also, when you start the training missions, just hit ESC and you can skip it. Make sure to patch to 1.4 also.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by NUMBERZero »

Darghan wrote:Just take out the idea of joystick. We have designed the game for mouse control or stick control on xbox.

Noooooooo!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

NUMBERZero wrote:
Darghan wrote:Just take out the idea of joystick. We have designed the game for mouse control or stick control on xbox.

Noooooooo!
x2...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I play D2 with the mouse anyway...
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Will you have stick control on the PC? If not I doubt there will be many Descent players (non-mousers) trying it.
x2

Remove all joystick support and you will likely remove the descent community.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

How do you even remove joystick support if you can map the keys to any button or slider? Is this a non-issue?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

true, with programs like PPJoy and GlovePIE we can emulate any controller (eg: mouse) with any other one (eg: joystick).
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

roid wrote:
CDN_Merlin wrote:Will you have stick control on the PC? If not I doubt there will be many Descent players (non-mousers) trying it.
x2

Remove all joystick support and you will likely remove the descent community.
Indeed it is a pretty big hit. That's the reason I stayed away from Shattered Horizon.

Issac, sure you can map all of the keys, but the X Y and Z axis is the problem. Sometimes you want precise thrust and you only want to use 50%. Throttle for that. W/O joystick support, you are forced to go full throttle. Same goes with the X and Y axis, but those are even more important. I hear that there are mouse emulators for the JS, but IDK if I can trust them.

This news has definately caused a paradigm shift for me.

EDIT: I was writing this on the DSi and Roid posted about the emulators while I was also replying. I'll just leave it as is.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

What, did people actually use the throttle control in Descent?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Sirius wrote:What, did people actually use the throttle control in Descent?
You might want it for this new game since the levels look humongous.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

You want it for sneaking around tunnels. It's more precise. Plus if the physics are above Descent's average, turning rate would be faster with the throttle at a low percent.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

and then there's also the whole space-simulator Newtonian vs Arcade physics debate.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

roid wrote:and then there's also the whole space-simulator Newtonian vs Arcade physics debate.
Everything must drive like a car! :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I don't really have a problem sneaking around tunnels without it. It only seems to work forward/backward anyway... rather not use different systems for the P/Q and N axes (if I'm remembering them right).

P.S. Newtonian physics may be realistic, but they make for a very inaccessible game.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Better to use “science fiction” physics…remember the Pyro defies gravity.

\"What, did people actually use the throttle control in Descent?\"

Yes