BOZ

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

RetZ
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by RetZ »

LEON wrote:2 times I have killed 100 BOZ in a raw. One in Stadium and one in Ama Arena if I dont remember wrong.
I really want to see some demos of that! :) I can kill, what, 5 BOZ in a row?
Hunter
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Hunter »

When I first played BOZ, I thought Ernie was VonErnie so I tried talking to him and asking where he has been all these years. :(
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

1 request. Downgrade Vincent. By all means. You cannot stand up to him with any weapon. No matter what he has, he always wins. I try every trick in my book.
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by S13driftAZ »

NUMBERZero wrote:1 request. Downgrade Vincent. By all means. You cannot stand up to him with any weapon. No matter what he has, he always wins. I try every trick in my book.
I must test this theory.
Even though I suck at descent.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Vincent's by far the toughest, but not unbeatable. Keep working, there are some things that work against the BOZ, even Vincent. 8)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Bet51987 wrote:
Foil wrote:Vincent's by far the toughest, but not unbeatable.
I'm convinced Vincent has learned how to change his algorithm. I think he's cheating. :)

Bee
I believe this too. Ecspecially when he gets Vauss. Then he's REALLY cheating :cry:
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Indica
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

BOZ IS AI!! Really??

Post by Indica »

i feel like a moron! ive been away for 10 years from descent- just got it working on my new computer with windows 7. I been getting slain by these BOZ! I thought they were real players! I still suspect some are- haha. I could not figure out how non of them slept, and why i never had better than a 2:1 death kill ratio. I too wish there was a server that had good ping for me- and the ability to play against them on my private LAN would be great! Thank you very much for making the AI it is great.
regards
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: BOZ IS AI!! Really??

Post by Stroodles »

Indica wrote:i feel like a moron! ive been away for 10 years from descent- just got it working on my new computer with windows 7. I been getting slain by these BOZ! I thought they were real players! I still suspect some are- haha. I could not figure out how non of them slept, and why i never had better than a 2:1 death kill ratio. I too wish there was a server that had good ping for me- and the ability to play against them on my private LAN would be great! Thank you very much for making the AI it is great.
regards
Welcome back to Descent
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

WHOEVER DECIDED TO GIVE THE BOZ THE VAUSS NEEDS TO BE HANGED!
Ashes
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Ashes »

Bet51987 wrote:
I'm convinced Vincent has learned how to change his algorithm. I think he's cheating. :)

Bee
The BOZ have become self-aware. We are all doomed if we do not correct this now....
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

\"There are ghosts in the machines.\"

Put a ban on the Vauss, MD, Fusion, Plasma, Lasers, Super Lasers, Microwave, EMD, Flares and the Napalm. But most notably the Vauss and MD. ;)
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

Come to think of it, I've never seen them use Omega - would be interesting...
deathbeam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: BOZ

Post by deathbeam »

Now I understand it.

I entered a server last night, and there was only 1 slot open.
Everyone was [BOZ]name, and it was descentforum.net II 9.
It was labeled as Amateurs arena, but these guys were whipping me BAD.

Probably once I get the hang of flightsim instead of mouselook, they'll seem
easier though...

The BOZ's I was fighting last night were Definitely bots, they play like bots.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Do_Checkor »

Bet51987 wrote:
Hahah! Brilliant! Apologize the far belated reaction and my inactivity. I am moving AGAIN after I've been moving. Hopefully this is the last time for a while now. ^^

Actually Vincent is only set to 90% while Marcellus and Mr Wolf are set to 100% - which is the max (both in tanks btw. Butch is 95% and with phoenix - just like Vincent. So if you are saying Vincent is the best by far then you could be right and they HAVE become self aware or that one bloody bastid started cheating! But then again: That's an Anticheat server - so those smart guys even tricked THOSE algorithms, too :lol:
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

let me in a humble way suggest a BOZ Elysium server without the vauss (This vauss ban wil make IsAB happy, BTW)

Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Can the host of the BOZ server change to something besides this hellfire map? No offense, but it kind of sucks.

I always like playing there while i wait for more people to join, but this map is a bit of a joke. I get toasted from behind by the bots every 4 seconds.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by LEON »

Stroodles wrote:Can the host of the BOZ server change to something besides this hellfire map? No offense, but it kind of sucks.

I always like playing there while i wait for more people to join, but this map is a bit of a joke. I get toasted from behind by the bots every 4 seconds.
No.
Hellfire is just fine. Keep it for a while.
Finally the BOZ make some challange, but the vauss is stil annoying.

Q: If the BOZ is playin' on the server, why do they have ping around 100?
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I think it's because even though the BOZ are running on the server, the independant ping from you to the server is still above 0.
right?
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

LEON wrote:
Stroodles wrote:Can the host of the BOZ server change to something besides this hellfire map? No offense, but it kind of sucks.

No.
Hellfire is just fine. Keep it for a while.
Finally the BOZ make some challange, but the vauss is stil annoying.

Q: If the BOZ is playin' on the server, why do they have ping around 100?
To make them seem more human actually. If they all had a ping of 0, it would be painfully obvious they were bots. Obviously, since they're not completely finished, there are other traits that give them away :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

They're flying very well in hellfire, they actually go through the tunnels and follow us now
:)
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

Ah, they are not finish yet...and your goal is to make them even more human like?

Interesting.

Thanks for your work SuperSheep

I hope this can be a mod that we all can instal on our computers. So when d3 is dead and no more, I can every now and then fire up a game and be nostalgic about the old days. Except I can't hit f8 and complain, wait........ I actually hit a f8 on'em now :P :D
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Do_Checkor »

Apparently the HellFire server did not make too many friends but hey :-)
LEON wrote:let me in a humble way suggest a BOZ Elysium server without the vauss (This vauss ban wil make IsAB happy, BTW)

Here you go :-)

and: you're welcome!
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

Ah man I remember when Supersheep's big bad bot was just \"Spike\", and it was a black GL like on retribution level 4 or bluedevil.
I'm wondering... I have seen a [BOZ]newbie on the Subway Dancer server... is this one a really weak bot or just someone who decided to slap the tag upon them and play, albeit poorly?
I'm now eager to join that Elysium server and play those [BOZ] just to see what they're like. :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

[BOZ]newbie isn't a bot, it's some rookie.
Enzo-03
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Enzo-03 »

I thought so.
Now I know so, especially since I actually caught him asking a question about some internet connection issues; his ping tends to jump from 100 to 500 and back a lot, and he can't figure out what is causing it. I recommended he try asking about it either here or pd.net.

When I asked why he uses a [BOZ] tag, I got no answer :lol:
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

Thanks for the BOZ Elysium, Checkor.
But Elysium didnt work as I was hoping for with the BOZ. They only stay and fight in the big hole in the middle of the level.
So far Hellfire have been the best level for BOZ fighting.
I will recomend to keep the vauss/MD ban. :)
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

It's Ascent again from now on! ;-)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Ascent is the best level I've played them in yet. That's great, Checkor!

I love getting into an MD scrap with Marsellus. He's unforgiving with the MD.

Awesome job, Supersheep!
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Ascent is my all time favourite anarchy level. Now that the BOZ are there, real people join more often, and I can play them. I'm getting at least one match a day there now with all humans :alter-fox is in heaven:.
LEON
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by LEON »

Yup, Ascent works pretty well with the BOZ squad.

1 question:
Is there a bug with this mod which cause a server crash if someone try to join the last spot?
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Re:

Post by Do_Checkor »

LEON wrote:1 question:
Is there a bug with this mod which cause a server crash if someone try to join the last spot?
Yes. This is apparently the main bug in the BOZ and happens quite often apparently :-( Apologize!

@Alter-Fox: Nice! This is exactly the actual intention of hosting the BOZ!
Freakster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Freakster »

BUBBALOU wrote:They are bots.. some whore up the microwave some are vauss whores. funny is the Tank who doesn't use fusion. One even Flies like Geordon, thankfully he actually plays....... good BOT errr BOZ.

Some are deadly accurate and some are fodder, but one thing you will notice about the bots... If they are having a fights and you enter....everyone of them turn their attention on you...and ignore each other like they could SMELL YOU
I loled... It's still true. Though they can be snuck up on now, it's very rare.
This line is true!
The line above this line, is false.

My in-game name is Freakster as well.

Warning: Use of improper English imminant, it's not my primary language.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Great job! The [BOZ] would prolly dominate the old D3TL.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by SuperSheep »

AlphaDoG wrote:Great job! The [BOZ] would prolly dominate the old D3TL.
Thanks! I don't think they would dominate though. Perhaps if their movements weren't so predictable and they could actually dodge! :D
jesusfr3ak4evr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jesusfr3ak4evr »

SuperSheep wrote:
AlphaDoG wrote:Great job! The [BOZ] would prolly dominate the old D3TL.
Thanks! I don't think they would dominate though. Perhaps if their movements weren't so predictable and they could actually dodge! :D
I feel inclined to take BOZ under my wing as disciples. If they would only put their flying faith in my advice and follow my instructions, then with all their practice they'd be unstoppable!

Lesson 1! Incorporate sliding into gameplay...
jesusfr3ak4evr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jesusfr3ak4evr »

I wanted to see how I'd do against BOZ. Lots of pointless deaths in the beginning (cause I was dogfighting them! argh!!!), but the game ended with over a 30 kill streak. I'm pretty sure I could win 100-0 with a bit of luck.

Oh, and notice that I did best on the human player!! hahahaha :D

What language is used to code the BOZ players? I'm kinda curious how it's done. I took some courses in C and Java.

Also, the BOZ players run right into easily dodgeable napalm. In general, they're poor at dodging secondaries. Not sure if they dodge my fusion or if they're just on a set flight pattern.

I think what I find so appealing is BOZ don't whine and leave the game when I own them :D
Anarchy

Game: Descentforum.NET II 9

Level: 1

[Rank] [Name] [Score] [Kills] [Deaths] [Suicides] [Time In Game]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) [III]Jesus_Freak 100[100] 100[100] 14[14] 0[0] 47:24 minutes
2) [BOZ]Marsellus 68[593] 68[593] 81[411] 0[0] 6:35:51 hours
3) [BOZ]Jules 64[665] 64[667] 70[579] 0[2] 8:38:39 hours
4) [BOZ]Cpt_Koons 1[1] 1[1] 2[2] 0[0] 1:34 minutes
5) *[BOZ]Mia 26[322] 27[326] 60[533] 1[4] 5:58:37 hours
6) *[BOZ]HoneyBunny 10[415] 10[415] 20[573] 0[0] 6:59:00 hours
7) *the time paradox 8[8] 8[8] 31[31] 0[0] 16:18 minutes
8) *[BOZ]Fabienne 0[30] 0[30] 0[34] 0[0] 26:44 minutes
9) *[BOZ]Vincent 0[101] 0[102] 0[103] 0[1] 1:18:12 hours
10) *Sidewinder 0[46] 0[47] 0[31] 0[1] 27:56 minutes
11) *[BOZ]Mr_Wolf 0[59] 0[59] 0[35] 0[0] 40:27 minutes
12) *Pretzel Boy 0[100] 0[108] 0[77] 0[8] 1:02:55 hours
13) *[RIP]AlphaDoG 0[30] 0[33] 0[37] 0[3] 32:18 minutes
14) *the time paradox 0[3] 0[3] 0[6] 0[0] 3:09 minutes
15) *[BOZ]Zed 0[27] 0[27] 0[54] 0[0] 36:22 minutes
16) *Fearverl 0[7] 0[7] 0[6] 0[0] 6:45 minutes

14) [III]Jesus_Freak
====================
Total Time In Game: 47:24 minutes
Callsign: Kills: Deaths:
[BOZ]Marsellus 39 8
[BOZ]Mia 18 1
[BOZ]Jules 29 5
the time paradox 13 0
[BOZ]Cpt_Koons 1 0
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

The [BOZ] as they have come to be known are an extension of Anticheat that I was working on for years. I finally decided to release a working, non-complete version for everyone to enjoy. Anticheat is written in C++.

The [BOZ] code is not using built in functionality as that is not available from Anticheats level in the code. Not that I would want to use the built in logic because frankly the built in logic is rather crude. There is another MOD out there, forget the name, that uses the merc ships and I find them completely non-challenging.

The [BOZ] code is not finished. I have aiming, dodging (to a degree) and random roaming (no pathing). Primary weapons selection, and traits which can be modified by the .ini file.

I had always intended on finishing the [BOZ] one day, but as with most projects, it got put on the back burner due to real life concerns.

Maybe we are at a point now in the life of D3 that Anticheat source code can be released, with the BOZ code as well? I don't know. I do know that it was kept in-house for many years due to concerns of hackers using the code to circumvent AC, but that does seem to be less and less of a concern as the years go by.
jesusfr3ak4evr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jesusfr3ak4evr »

The BOZ are certainly quite playable despite their incompletion. I think that due to the low number of coders in the community, as well as the need to safeguard against any hacks to bipass AC, that it would be best to release the source code to individuals per request--and only on your judgment that they are credible and established in the Descent community.

That said, I would be interested in looking over the code from an educational viewpoint. I have done some very simple coding in C++ back in my high school years, and I'm familiar with OOP from Java. It would probably be too much of a commitment to undertake any serious development with AC or BOZ, but if I were to ever use my coding experience in a hobby setting, then there is no other avenue more enticing than within the Descent 3 community.

I'm just thinking about the capabilities of bots in games like Perfect Dark and Unreal Tournament. If we could create bots to play in all game modes, and vary the bots by difficulty setting, style of play (offensive, defensive, etc), and more--plus create an interface for the user to alter these settings manually--then that would be really freaking cool!

Just think about it - people hesitate to join a game unless someone else joins (I know I do). If bots are in the game, then that gives the game some excitement, for example in a VV CTF, until more humans arrive on the scene. If we could place useful bots on each team, then that would also eliminate some of the effect of unbalanced teams. I can think of so many uses and benefits to bots (the main con being cpu usage)!

Also, if I actually did undertake something of this magnitude and pulled it off, then that would be cool to put on my resume :) I'm sure it would take additional studying and practice in C++ to pull this off, though.