A concept for a new campaign.

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

A concept for a new campaign.

Post by Xfing »

First thing I have to say that it's just a concept, I don't know if I'll be able to execute the idea myself, but maybe I'll try to contribute at least, if the concept takes off (I'm a beginner designer).

So the idea is to make a large level set, the theme of which is the amalgamation of Descent 1 and 2. Texture-wise, weapon-wise and robot-wise. Ever wondered why none of those Heavy Drillers from D1 ever appeared in Baloris Prime in D2 where they would fit perfectly? Or why were there no Small Hulks in the Puuma Sphere levels? I heard that the main issue was a broken/altered AI, but this isn't an issue grave enough to disqualify many of these bots from appearing.

So my idea is to make a large level set, with 40 levels + 5 secret ones. The levels could be themed, but not in packs like in Descent 2, more like in Vertigo. The robots from Descent 1 would appear alongside those from D2, according to their threat rating. As for the weapons, I'd not have D2 weapons appear at all until about halfway through the set. The .hog would have to be altered for Fusion to be returned to its D1 power in order for it to be the useful weapon it once was.

Three of the secret levels would be accessed through alternate exits, two would be accessed through teleporters. The first 20 levels would be styled more to resemble Descent 1 levels, like those from Stroodles' \"Descend Again\" campaign, with occasional D2 touches and mechanics, the next 20 would borrow more heavily from the themed variations of D2 (with a big emphasis on the underused beauty of the Zeta Aquilae texture set). My concept is to amalgamate on all possible planes what's best and most beautiful in both Descent 1 and 2 in a single epic mission borrowing heavily from both (more so than Vertigo does). As for the story, I would handle its entirety, so no worries here. The idea is open for debate, lemme know what you think of such an undertaking!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

This looks very similar to the standard D2 mission I'm building alongside my D2X-XL one... not too similar though.

One thing about the \"alternate exits\"... the only way you'd be able to do that in a D2 level is the way it was done in Descent: Maximum... have the teleporter behind a door that opens when the reactor is destroyed. Of course, that door can look like an exit door, and you could probably make the teleporter behind it invisible (just make sure you delete the teleporter illusion and not the secret exit trigger.)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The only reason for the robots not being combined that I could think of is that the creators wanted an entirely new ensemble for Descent 2. There aren't any valid technical reasons not to do so.

\"Alternate exits\" can be produced in Descent 2. Since they're only usable after the reactor is destroyed, you shouldn't need to worry about what happens after you return from the secret level; it'd just go to the next one.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I've already started designing one of the levels, it'll be a Baloris Prime level making use of many textures found in L6 of Descent 1. I'll keep you updated regarding its progress.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

A Few Words:

There was a never any technical issue at all, other than some Decent 1 weapons having slightly different strengths. Years and years ago when I edited a few poor-quality levels for personal use, most of my projects were Descent 1 Levels. But, my D1 pig file wasn't working at that time, so I designed them all in Descent 2. There was a never a hiccup in using both types of robots.

I would love to contribute to such a project. It's been almost a year since I released Descend Again, and I'm feeling the need to edit some more. I'm leaving in a week or so for a month, so I won't be able to be contacted then, but for the rest of the summer (mid july - august) I'm not doing anything, so i'd love to help build something.

As a final word, I really appreciate the shoutout to my set in the \"like Descent 1\" sentence. Many of the levels in my sets were tributes to the orginal Descent levels (4 to 6, 9 to 11), and it gives me a fuzzy feeling to be recognized. :)

Good luck on the project, if you need anything, don't hesitate to post.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sirius wrote:The only reason for the robots not being combined that I could think of is that the creators wanted an entirely new ensemble for Descent 2. There aren't any valid technical reasons not to do so.
Well, two of the D1 robots were used in D2 Counterstrike... the Supervisor bots in the Quartzon levels, and Cloaked Lifters in level 16 (a matcen sometimes makes them).

I have two standard D2 levels sitting around... of a pretty good quality I think. One of them is Limefrost Spiral-ish (although it uses the GroupA PIG file), and the other is alien, like the Omega System. (And trust me, it looks alien... the reactor is inside a giant blue floating rock.)

The only hiccup there is I've also composed music for each of the levels (and not midi music... ogg music for D2X-XL playlist and Rebirth Jukebox). If these were to be included, the music would have to go in too.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Sirius wrote:The only reason for the robots not being combined that I could think of is that the creators wanted an entirely new ensemble for Descent 2. There aren't any valid technical reasons not to do so.
Well, two of the D1 robots were used in D2 Counterstrike... the Supervisor bots in the Quartzon levels, and Cloaked Lifters in level 16 (a matcen sometimes makes them).

I have two standard D2 levels sitting around... of a pretty good quality I think. One of them is Limefrost Spiral-ish (although it uses the GroupA PIG file), and the other is alien, like the Omega System. (And trust me, it looks alien... the reactor is inside a giant blue floating rock.)

The only hiccup there is I've also composed music for each of the levels (and not midi music... ogg music for D2X-XL playlist and Rebirth Jukebox). If these were to be included, the music would have to go in too.
He made an official thread for this.

viewtopic.php?t=16952

I can't speak for him, but I appreciate the help.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Thanks Stroodles, I copied it over there.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Oh. So I didn't delete this thread after all. I thought I did. Well, these forums have been pulling some nasty tricks on me lately. Let's just continue the discussion in the \"Descent 1 1/2\" thread.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Maybe making another post will fix the new thread... the problem may be that the last \"post\" made doesn't exist anymore.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Yeah, but the forums no longer display the thread in which that post could be made :(