Webpage building program?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

d0ggY
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Webpage building program?

Post by d0ggY »

Since this is the only board I even bother to look at anymore, I'll ask you guys. What's the best WYSIWYG webpage builder right now (preferably one that can later support shopping carts)? I haven't used a WYSIWYG since Frontpage 98 and then did hard-coding using html and css. It's been about 5 years since I've done that and I'm just looking for a quick and simple program and not interested in doing it by hand.

Thanks!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Last I heard, they're all terrible at being WYSIWYG, but Dreamweaver is the best.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That can support shopping carts.

...ummmmm...

There might be some design tool that lets you plug that kind of stuff in, but you might be better off looking at some kind of content management system (Joomla is a widely-used one I think) and then using your WYSIWYG tool just to develop the template for that (will almost certainly require a small amount of diving into the HTML to insert the mark-up to tell the CMS what parts of the template are used for what though).

Dreamweaver remains the most popular web design tool that supports WYSIWYG, unless things have changed faster than I thought. FrontPage was abandoned by Microsoft, who now seem to be focusing their efforts on multiple products aimed at different audiences (Expression Web for web designers, Sharepoint for company portals/intranet sites, and I think I heard of something vaguely similar to Sharepoint aimed at small business owners as well, though I'm not sure whether it's out yet). There are probably also open-source WYSIWYG web design applications, but none that are well-known enough for me to name them off the top of my head...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

avoid sharepoint at all costs.

It's great for projects intra company, but not as a design tool. It's cumbersome and likes to lock data into it's own files that are un-exportable.

It has it's place, but often it's marketed well outside its scope. Our company tried to use it for document managment.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by TechPro »

Duper wrote:avoid sharepoint at all costs.

It's great for projects intra company, but not as a design tool. It's cumbersome and likes to lock data into it's own files that are un-exportable.

It has it's place, but often it's marketed well outside its scope. Our company tried to use it for document managment.
They have sharepoint where I work ... and over half of the users use FireFox with it almost exclusively because of content that doesn't work right with IE (funny. MS product that works best with FireFox instead of IE :roll: )
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That is always amusing. But I agree, just because it is used for web-facing sites doesn't mean it's a good solution for that... it's not really designed for the purpose and you're probably going to run into trouble with it sooner or later.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Thenior »

Duper wrote:avoid sharepoint at all costs.

How well does it work for document managing? We just got a SharePoint 2010 liscense, and it's a booger to get the permissions right (we only want to use it for document/task management, and perhaps as a media manager).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Strictly as doc management? no. There is no way to export any files to use data with other apps. Also, depending on the what your are doing and how many are involved, with permissions in place, you could potentially BURY a mail server.. quickly.

It's really shines in product development on an intranet. It's secure and docs are tracked.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

well actually the intent was to use it more as a document collaboration, not just doc management.

We really have no need to export data in anything other than office... and my understanding is that sharepoint 2010 has some pretty awesome office live features. Just a pain to get going right...
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

right. And thank you. \"collaboration\" was the word I was trying to think of.