Win 7 tips and tricks

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Win 7 tips and tricks

Post by ReadyMan »

Everything is up and running with Windows 7, and it seems to be running quite well (must be the extra 3gb of RAM!).

Everything is very new, and I'm making changes as I go.

Are there any particular tips/tricks to using win 7 that you recommend?

For instance, what's the best way to shut it down? I dont care for the sleep mode, as I dont want things running (I liked the old standby mode, which kept your windows and work open for when you restarted). I found a post about \"hibernate\" which seems to do the same thing.

Is there any problem with turning off the annoying \"do you really want this program to make changes to windows\" window, which shows up with each dl/install...?

Also, which gadgets do you recommend?

any other adjustments to make? I turned off auto update. I dont know if there is an auto restore yet...but dont want the system bogging down when I'm in the middle of something else.

Thanks!
Fighting villains is what I do!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Turn automatic updates back on, they only install automatically when the PC isn't doing anything.

I'd leave the are you really sure prompts around, UAC is actually pretty useful once you get the hang of it (and if you use it as intended, from a limited account). You can disable it just while you are installing all your stuff and then turn it back on once you are done to save a few seconds.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

If you like the quick launch bar, you will need to make a special effort. It doesn't come with Win7 by default. Google it. It isn't difficult.

Also, you may want to enable the administator's account. Also a special thing you have to do from a console. Not necessary especially, but good to have around on occation. Or at least to know how to do. In Win 7, the Admin account can do things that an amdin account User can't. I've needed it only twice, but I was teching some problems out that turned out to be hardware related.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

You really don't need quick launch just pin programs to the task bar. Right click and click pin to taskbar.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You doubly don't need quicklaunch when you use http://rocketdock.com/ (Ignore the windows x64 warning on the download page, it does work in 64 bit windows.)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I don't like the pin bar. There are something you can't put on it. It's bulky too.

**edit**

Nice program Krom. Looks a lot like the Mac toolbar. I'll give that a whirl.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

if you really want to tweak 7, and have the knowledge of what your going to be doing. try the \"God Mode\"
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Duper wrote:Nice program Krom. Looks a lot like the Mac toolbar. I'll give that a whirl.
Prior versions of Windows didn't need rocketdock, you could just drag any folder to an open edge of a display and create a toolbar there using the files and shortcuts inside that toolbar. I've been doing that since Windows 95 and I was most disappointed when it no longer worked in W7.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Heretic »

AceCombat wrote:if you really want to tweak 7, and have the knowledge of what your going to be doing. try the "God Mode"
What are trying to get someone to crash their system :lol:

Works in Vista too but not so good in the 64bit version of Vista
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Did you know for those who do not mind CHANGE....

Windows7 taskbar has built in shortcuts

Win-Key + 1-0 opens the taskbar applications (up to 10 left to right) works like alt-tab with benefits

I personally like the new taskbar with the peak feature enabled

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Heretic »

Did you know Windows 7 has this program called Problem Steps Recorder. It allows every step of the user’s actions to be logged complete with a screenshot with the item highlighted, and it even allows the user to provide commentary on specific details. Then it Zips it up in a nice little package so you can send it to tech support and they can see what is happening. Just go to START and type PSR hit enter and start recording your problems.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I use the snap positions on the side of the monitors all the time.

You can drag a title bar to the top of the screen to maximize it or to either side to \"half maximize\" it.

I have two monitors and you can drag even maximized windows between them.

Windows Key + Shift + Left/Right arrow is a huge time saver to move windows across monitors as well.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Is there any way to turn that off? It causes more trouble for me than it solves. I think it's cool, but it gets in the way. :
WinKey+ Tab cycles through open windows like a rolladex .. kinda like Linux .. no wait.. that can't be! :lol:

Kinda fun and handy when you have a lot of windows or apps open.
ReadyMan
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by ReadyMan »

I didnt know about MOST of that!
The windows key+tab = WOW!
Fighting villains is what I do!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

AceCombat wrote:if you really want to tweak 7, and have the knowledge of what your going to be doing. try the "God Mode"
Yeah, just type "iddqd", oh, wait...
Why doesn't it work?