Are PS2 Controllers Compatible with Descent for Mac OS X?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Are PS2 Controllers Compatible with Descent for Mac OS X?

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

I've been looking into purchasing a USB adapter that will allow me to use my PlayStation 2 controller with my computer, so I can keep the configuration that works best for me and that I'm so familiar with. But I don't want to waste my money, so I was wondering, does anyone know if a PS2 controller is compatible with Descent on the computer?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Descent can usually read anything Windows sees as a joystick or game controller, not so sure about OSX or Linux versions though.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

One of the points of an operating system is to make hardware available to software on a standard interface. If OSX can see it as a joystick I am sure Descent will as well. Same goes for Linux. I have used a Dualshock 3 in Linux with Descent no problem.

Basically, as long as you have drivers that will load your gamepad or joystick with your operating system then it should work with anything that can use joysticks.
Why doesn't it work?
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Okay, sweet deal. Thanks! I'll get an adapter for that as soon as I get a copy of Descent that actually works on my machine.

Now, my next question. I think I already asked this in another section, but where can I acquire a copy of Descent that'll work with OS X? I have $7 to spend, and I'm willing to use it only on the best version of Descent for multiplayer, and not in disk form, as my disk drive is broken.

Can someone please direct me to the best place to download th best version of Descent for multiplayer?
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Good Old Games http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/pp/fc07 ... 50b3bf7291 has D1 and D2 together for 5 dollars (US money). Once you've got it, you can use DXX-Rebirth or D2X-XL to run it. I believe the mac version of D2X-XL can even run the windows program.

BTW - do you play D3 Multiplayer? I've played against someone called Zaphod there many times. (I know what the B stands for :P).
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Thanks! However, since I don't have much money to fling around everywhere, I would like a guarantee that the mac version of D2X-XL can run the windows version of Descent, so that I don't spend $5 on something that doesn't work and then I can't buy anything else lol.

About how many people do you think play Descent 2 multiplayer? I understand D3 probably has more people, but I'm just wondering.

Also, I actually don't play D3 multiplayer. I'll allow the impostor Zaphod to roam around D3 for a while, but if he enters my realm, he'll be dealing with the Cpt. :P

EDIT: For multiplayer purposes, would it be better to get Descent 3 instead of Descent 1+2 for the same price, or does it really make much difference multiplayer-wise?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

Alter-Fox wrote:I've played against someone called Zaphod...
Cpt. Zaphod B. wrote:I'll allow the impostor Zaphod to roam around D3 for a while, but if he enters my realm, he'll be dealing with the Cpt. :P
If you're talking about [RIP]Zaphod, he's a European guy who's been around for a long time.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

In Descent 3 you're far more likely to find games... D1 and D2 aren't played online all that much anymore (though many people still play singleplayer).

If you get Descent 3, once you've downloaded it, sign up here http://www.dateiliste.com/.

They have all the tools you need to get it up and running online. (Ask in the forums).
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

I probably wouldn't be able to take him, but I could definitely be a nuisance. XD

So I need to know this sooner rather than later, does the mac version of D2X-XL run the Windows version of Descent? I don't want to waste 6 perfectly good dollars if it doesn't even work.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

You would be better off asking here: http://descent2.de/forum/index.php

However I think all you need is the data files to make any version of D2X-XL work.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

According to the developer of D2X-XL, it does, so I'm gonna give it a try.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Cya in the mines.
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Don't be surprised if I royally suck. I still haven't gotten an adapter for a PS2 USB thing lol

And so, a so very simple task has failed due to me not being able to run the installer program. Having a PPC processor is very restricting, but I'm working on a fix. If all else fails I can take the installer to a friends house, install it there, and take the data files back to my computer.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I had to open the descent2.sow file with a zip extractor an extract the files to a folder. Maybe that will help you.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

I tried that, but maybe I used the wrong Zip extracter. I tried ZipIt, but it only opened Automater for me. Besides, it's a .exe file.

I've got a plan in the making though, I should be on in a week at the longest.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Try some of the mac builds of 7-zip: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

I'm pretty sure the windows version can extract the descent sow archives, so one of the mac builds may also be able to.
Cpt. Zaphod B.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cpt. Zaphod B. »

Again, didn't work. It actually created a Stuffit Executable file that, when opened, will \"uncompress\" the exact file, basically meaning I took the long route of simply copying the .exe.

I'm willing to bet that none of the Expanding or Uncompressing applications are doing anything due to the fact that it appears to be an installer application, not a compressed file.
Think about it. On Mac, there's a completely separate application for installing applications, and Stuffit won't open those. It takes you through the installer so it can install the application for you. This is no different. It's a Descent installer, not a simple compressed file.

Thanks for the help though.