Login

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Login

Post by Bet51987 »

Why is it that when I log in, then reply to a post, it asks me to log in again. Then when I do, it deletes my reply.

It happens more often than not so what am I doing wrong...

Bee
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

PEBKAC
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Delete all cookies related to DBB.net from your browser and log in again, also make sure your bookmark points to http://www.descentbb.net and not http://descentbb.net.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

Krom wrote:Delete all cookies related to DBB.net from your browser and log in again, also make sure your bookmark points to http://www.descentbb.net and not http://descentbb.net.
THANK YOU! This problem has been bugging me on another forum. I fixed the thingy and it works!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ok, I did all that last night but today it did the same exact thing.

Bee
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

dotnet is buggy for me too. The search function in particular is messed up, but logging in and posting is chancy as well. I blame SUP. It's his crappy programming that made all this possible.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

Bet51987 wrote:Ok, I did all that last night but today it did the same exact thing.

Bee
Ya gotta delete ALL the cookies from dotnet.

Just for brownie points, try logging in to the DBB on a different web browser, like say google chrome or opera and see if it still happens on that browser. If/When you go to install chrome or opera, don't import the settings from your regular browser.

Or you could go scorched earth and just purge all the cookies from your entire browser (in firefox it is in tools ---> clear recent history ---> select EVERYTHING in the drop down box ---> check the box for cookies and punch up "clear now" then restart the browser).

And bun, .com is eventually going to have search break down since it is based off phpBB 2.x also, same as .net. :P
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Krom,

I went to C:\\Users\\bettina\\AppData\\Roaming\\Microsoft\\Windows\\Cookies and deleted everything in there but couldn't clear out the contents of a file called \"index.dat\" where I saw more cookies. My boyfriend and I found a program to unlock it and deleted everything in there. Windows made a few new entries again but no cookies. He also went into a directory called \"Low\" in the same windows directory where more cookies were stored and cleared that out too. I got rid of every cookie.

Tonight it did the same thing while typing this message. When I preview my post it asks me to login again even when I can see in the upper righ corner that I'm still logged in. I've tried using the back button and refreshing but nothing works.

I've gotten used to pressing Ctrl-C before previewing so I can just paste when I sign back in.

CLUE... It happens every single time if I take too long to post a reply because of phone calls, fruit breaks, something on TV, etc. Could a timeout problem be causing this? It seems anything over two minutes does it.

Bee
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Does your computer have the proper day/time/time zone set? If your computer thinks it's 2013 and sees a cookie set in 2010, it may be treating it as expired.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Grab ccleaner from www.ccleaner.com and use it to clear out your cookies, it works a lot better than browsing and deleting stuff from the folder. And definitely try google chrome or firefox instead of IE.

The clock/time suggestion from Lothar is also a good one. Also the session timeout for posts and stuff in the DBB cookies should be 1 hour (the default for phpbb) but even going beyond that limit doesn't really explain the problem you are having.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Lothar wrote:Does your computer have the proper day/time/time zone set? If your computer thinks it's 2013 and sees a cookie set in 2010, it may be treating it as expired.
Yes it did but I ran CCleaner as Krom suggested (even the registry fixes) and it works fine now. I'm almost positive I got all the cookies and even searched for every iteration of Descentbb.net so I wonder if it was something else CCleaner found.

Anyway it works now so thanks to you and Krom...

Bee
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

bet, i can guarantee that CCLeaner found more than just emptying your folders manually