Which robot is the most dangerous normal robot in all of D1?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

Which normal robot do you think is the most dangerous in Descent 1?

Medium Hulk (Concussion Missile)
2%
Super (Red) Hulk (Homing Missile)
5%
Class 1 Driller (Vulcan)
55%
Class 1 Heavy Driller (Plasma)
4%
\"Spider\" Processing Robot
2%
Purple Fusion Hulk (Mini-Boss)
16%
Class 2 Platform Robot (Green, rapid-fire concussion missiles)
16%

Total votes: 56
MD-1224
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Which robot is the most dangerous normal robot in all of D1?

Post by MD-1224 »

I made this poll because I'm curious as to what people think is the most dangerous normal robot in D1 and why.
MD-1224
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MD-1224 »

I just realized...I forgot to include the Cloaked Driller. :(
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I have to say class 1 driller. If he gets the jump on you your gonna take damage no matter what.
Drakona
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Drakona »

Wow, everybody voted for the driller? He's not too bad. If you know where he is, one homer takes him out. Keep them hot if there's one in the area, and things don't get too bad. Yeah, he's nasty if he gets the drop on you, but so are half the robots in the game.

My #1 bad guy is the homing missile guy. He's the only bot that can routinely get me for multiple lives. I'm probably biased, though -- I play a lot of cold start games on level 11 and 20. There is nothing in the game like a homing missile guy loose on level 11, if you have no idea where he is. He's crazy fast and very quick on the draw. The green tri-missile punks on level 20 are nearly as dangerous when loose, but I find they're trivial in the open and not too bad even in tight spaces, once you're used to them.

Here's how I'd categorize the bots.

Tier I - these bots I actively fear. No holds barred tactics are authorized. Invulns and cloaks authorized. Suicide runs / large stacks of missiles may be worth it if they're in a bad spot and I can be assured of shutting them down.
  • Homing missile guy
  • Fusion bot
Tier II -- watch out for these guys. Cheap tactics authorized--sniping, shooting around corners, missile shots they can't respond to. I won't go up against them in a fair fight unless I'm pretty sure I can win.
  • Green platform guy -- the tri-missile punk.
  • Driller/cloaked driller
Tier III -- kinda dangerous. I mostly scrap with them / let them shoot at me, but I still prioritize them.
  • Plasma guy
  • Concussion missile guy / cloaked concussion missile guy
Honorable mention -- the proxy bomb layers. Gophers, I think they're called? Very dangerous in large numbers.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

Hey, MD...wasssup?

I voted for the driller, because that scream leaves you senseless... :P
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

I chose the missile platform bot. Yeah the driller is fast and
aggressive and good at doing some damage even if you're
cautious, but one homer will kill it and its damage is limited.

The missile platform on the other hand can completely screw
you over for making one single mistake.

BTW, what's the point of including the medium hulk when the
platform is already on the list?
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I forgot about the fusion bot. he is a nasty sob too.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sedwick »

Seemed every time, by the time I heard the class 1 driller's shriek, it was too late to avoid its vulcan barrage.
MD-1224
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MD-1224 »

Hey Spidey...been forever since I've last talked with you, ever since the golden Descent 2 days. :) What's up?

Well, as for your question, I'm busy working, learning new stuff, and not being able to play much because there is no one on the D server on Kali with whom I may play (except for Warlord, Flip, Ashes, NuclearTomato, sometimes Sirius---the only people I see playing D1 and D2 who are left). If there were more games I would be playing more. I still come online to Kali, but even if there were games being played, I find myself playing less because I have an increasing need to interact with and learn and do stuff that matters more to reality.

I don't know if the people who I *don't* see anymore have quit playing D1 and D2 and have moved on with life or have become too busy to play, or if they moved from Kali to a different place. I'd like to know where these D1 and D2 players have moved (if they have) to so that I can play more games again. Anyone know where the majority of them have gone to if they have moved somewhere else?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I stopped playing multiplayer regularly in 2001. These days I play MMOs like everyone else. :wink:
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Ah come on man. Descent is all game and no fluff. Just admit you got tired of getting spanked and went to something easier. :P
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

Definitely the vulcan driller. I remember when I first started playing the D1 shareware demo, and I could never get past level 6 even on trainee because there are like 30 of them in there. Fast forward a decade and a half and it's still my most feared. Sure, heavy hulks, fusion hulks, and platform bots will ruin your day if you screw up, but if you play well and know where they are you can dodge their fire. I play on insane mostly with a cold start like Drakona, and the drillers Never miss, so you lose a large chunk of your shield even before the homer can reach them.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That's why you fire homing missiles around corners. Other thing that works well is blind-side them and duck for cover before they can turn (it's not instant).
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Driller - need I say more? I originally thought my D1 copy was bugged because I didn't think such a common bot would be too crazy...
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by D3Alien »

Sirius wrote:That's why you fire homing missiles around corners. Other thing that works well is blind-side them and duck for cover before they can turn (it's not instant).
Problem is that the majority of the time they already seem to know which way I'm coming from.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

Yeah after you've played the game 100 times and know where their at Sirius has the right idea, but a driller will take a noobs lunch every time :)
Zantor
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zantor »

I voted for the Class 2 Platform robot; that thing is a very nasty bugger on anything rookie or higher.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

On insane, the vulcan guys can rip off a few shields if they get the drop on you and you don't put a homer right on them. Meanwhile, a roaming homer guy can rip off a few LIVES.

On lower skill levels, vulcan guys are nastier, but as you go up to the highest ones, it's no contest.
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

The red hulks are probably more dangerous, especially in groups, but I find the Drillers far worse. Those guys aren't just brutal, they're scary as heck - I can think of *nothing* in video games half as frightening as when they start shrieking and rip my ship to pieces.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I voted for the Fusion Hulk. One shot and you're gone. I think that Missile Platform, Super Hulk and Class 1 and 2 Drillers are a great nuisance, too.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

Having played more of these guys, the super hulks are worse than I remembered, the vulcan drillers are a little easier, and the fusion hulks and green platform bots are significantly easier. Neither have instant-hit weapons, and neither have homing capabilities. Also, the fusion hulk is really slow moving.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Class 1 Drillers aren't too bad if you know where they are, but if they see you first, your toast. As for the cloaked ones, for some reason I didn't find them as bad. Maybe it's because they don't have the eeire scream.
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

I don't have the extremities to count the times I've almost pooped my pants when you hear the driller shriek and vulcan attack after long moments of silence... Those robots scare the crap out of me. Every time.
skunk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by skunk »

Yeah I agree with the Driller.

I can see what Lothar is saying about the homer guys. Most people favor the driller because of it's god awful scream, and I agree with that. Once I hear that scream even now i still cringe because I know I'm about to lose shields. The reason I think the driller is more dangerous than the homer guy is because the driller is never alone. You never see them in groups of less than two, and usually there's a cloaked one there too. If you don't have homers or are trying to snipe them from far away, they can still shoot you and instantly hit you, whereas you can pop shoot at a homer guy from another room over and over again and get out of the way before the missiles come close.

Also if I'm in an open area, the homing missiles never even come close to hitting me and I turn him into scrap metal pretty easily, even if there are a group of 2 - 3 of them, whereas the vulcan guy continues to peel shields off if you don't kill him before you even enter the room.

Is he the most deadly? In my book, yes. He has the speed, the ability to quickly strike you and take down a good portion of your shields, and that horrible shriek. So I vote him the most deadly, even though he plays the role of a support robot (especially the support of the homer guy) instead of a \"show stopper\" which are usually slow moving and easy to dodge.
If I Ruled The World. Imagine That.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by DarkHorse »

flip wrote:Ah come on man. Descent is all game and no fluff. Just admit you got tired of getting spanked and went to something easier. :P
hahahah

Who is this?
Red_5
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Red_5 »

Although I must say the subtle buzzing machine noises from the hulks is pretty intimidating in a strange way too.
SirSamII
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SirSamII »

I picked Fusion Bot for the eery feeling of life being sucked out of you & the bloodish light when the fusion rips through your hull.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

DarkHorse wrote:hahahah

Who is this?
MMOHorse
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I think flip was a Ranger when they were still going... don't remember much before that though.
flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by flip »

I'm the resident noob :) Yeah Rangers games were fun I got about 8-9 months of good games when I started. Missed the boat I guess.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Ah. I'd probably already stopped playing Descent online by the time you started, then.
steveg
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by steveg »

Well, I know this is old but I don't come on here much! I voted for the green platform bot. There was a level (20?) where they were hid in recesses, so the first time you played it, they blew you to pieces as you passed by.

Every time since, I try to peak around and kill it... but they sense you quickly, and the concussion blasts give you damage no matter what. Shooting half of a level 1 laser around the corner takes a while to kill it... and it always does at least some damage, if not killing me!

The vulcan guys on (level 22?) were nasty... had to sneak around killing one at a time before even thinking of entering that main room. Of course, the red guys upstairs were crazy too... without the invulnerability in the center, that would have been game, set, match!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

On single player I tended to play very cautiously. I also liked to play in a sort of doom-esque style, where if I died, at all, I would revert to my last saved game, which was always at the start of the level. This meant that I would use every advantage I could and take out most of the really dangerous stuff like the red hulk and missile platforms at range or around corners. In most cases you can find a way to set yourself up to dodge, and out in the open you can even manage to keep the red hulks homers off your back.

Not the Vulcan bot.

Because I played without allowing myself to die, by the midpoint and near the end of the level I would usually be low on shields. A red hulk I could dodge and avoid if I needed to, but the Vulcan bot could easily land the finishing blow if I didn't get him first somehow.

My d1 threat priority list:
Vulcan Bot (cloaked)
Vulcan Bot
Red Hulk
Brown Hulk (cloaked)
Missile Platform Bot

Ive never really had a problem with a fusion bot. They're just too damned big and slow.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I can dodge drillers from a distance (serioulsy!), but for some reason it's hard for me to see a fusion shot from the minibosses.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

The mini-gun robot is one of robots which is very dangerous, more than brother (I mean Class 2 Platform Robot because there are pink and green robots look like same shapes.)
Alter-Fox wrote:I can dodge drillers from a distance (serioulsy!)
Yeah, I do like that but not always because depend on size of room.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

D2X-XL makes it easier because it gives vulcan tracers. You can actually see how much Drillers miss :P. Most of their shots actually don't hit you. (But the ones that do are dangerous).

Oh, BTW: Welcome back. I remember seeing you around here a long time ago (I think before I started posting).
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

Alter-Fox wrote:D2X-XL makes it easier because it gives vulcan tracers. You can actually see how much Drillers miss :P. Most of their shots actually don't hit you. (But the ones that do are dangerous).
Oh, yeah. But D2X-XL made me felt not playing the original game. I prefer old textures and models more that I use Descent Rebirth, I love that one.
Alter-Fox wrote:Oh, BTW: Welcome back. I remember seeing you around here a long time ago (I think before I started posting).
Thank you, Alter. I guess descentbb.net is more polite than other community forums.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Paskiewicz wrote:
Oh, yeah. But D2X-XL made me felt not playing the original game. I prefer old textures and models more that I use Descent Rebirth, I love that one.
Well, I personally love D2X-XL and everything it brings to the table, but regardless, to each their own. Welcome back.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The vulcan driller is dodgeable at long range if you are moving fast enough, since vulcan does have some travel time.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

I've played Descent 1 last night... Got too many kills from drillers in level 22... I hate it a lot.