What's the most awesome Descent SP level?

Descent mission help and more WARNING: Spoilers inside!

Moderator: AceCombat

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

I have many favorite levels. I think that most of the levels in D2 were greatly designed, and that most of levels in D1 had that \"default cube syndrome\" if you know what I mean.

D1: Level 2, 7, 10, 12, 18, 24, S1, S3 (the last one has the best design IMO)

D2: Never made it past Limefrost Spiral yet, like level 2,3 and 12 very much

D3: The Martian caverns where you fight Homunculus... it's been a long time since I played last though.
S13driftAZ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by S13driftAZ »

Descent 3 level 3

luv it
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

D1: Lv 7 I guess. I've never had a problem with that boss. No \"nightmares\" to speak of. Infact, my first Descent game was D2, but I still don't think that I would have had any problems with him.

D2: Lv 24. Greatest memories. Wrote a cool story in 7th grade about it.

D3: Lv all :P. If I had to pick, I'd say Lv 13 because I love searching and destroying those Stormtroopers. And I know where to go.
Darth Wang
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Darth Wang »

NUMBERZero wrote:D2: Lv 24. Greatest memories. Wrote a cool story in 7th grade about it.
Did you save it?
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Probably, but IDK where it is.
D3Alien
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Alien »

I enjoyed D1 L26 this summer. All the bolting from room to room felt like CTF in SP.
gameaddict11707
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by gameaddict11707 »

Descent- First Strike: All of the standard levels. Never got to the secret levels.

Definitive Collection: All, especially Combat Deluxe :D .

Descent 1 Fanmade: All of the Vignettes levels, Talamir Project.

Descent 2- Counterstrike: All of the standard levels. Secret levels didn't stick out to me.

Descent 2- Vertigo: 1-4, 7, 12, 14, 19, 20

Descent 2 Fanmade: All levels in The Enemy Within, Lost Levels 17-20, Apocalyptic Factor 1-3, Bahagad Outbreak 1-3, Project Mandrill 2-5, Project HYDRO 6, 16-18.

Descent 3: The Demo Level. The rest bombed IMO.

Descent 3 Mercenary: None.

Descent 3 Fanmade: Reactor Gamma.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I never liked level 20 of vertigo or level 24 of counterstrike. They were too boss-centric and not creative.

Imo D3 Retribution level 15 was the only good \"official\" final boss level.

BTW - in the D3 demo level, I believe you're playing as the vertigo series pilot again.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Enemy Within: level 26 - The Sunspire. That level is just pure awesomeness. It screams originality and awe-inspiring design. Kudos to Sirius!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

My only problem in that level is you put so much stuff in it my computer slows to a crawl. Also you can't see it half the time due to Kalkis blinding you.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Which is why you take out the Kalki first!
Once you know their initial positions, they are easy to eliminate. They are the only robot that can't move. They can only turn in place. So its not like they'll get away from you!
deathbeam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by deathbeam »

D1 level 5. (first challenging level)

I didn't really like or finish D2, D1 was a lot more fun for me.

D3 level 10(CED lunar outpost)
I loved the part where you find yourself in the mine from D1.
And the weaponless joshbot...
Plus, the whole level was just all around awesome.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Enemy Within: level 26 - The Sunspire. That level is just pure awesomeness. It screams originality and awe-inspiring design. Kudos to Sirius!
I loved Sunspire. The best part was how (I think) more robots appeared periodically throughout the fight, so it's not "toast guy A, toast guy B, etc., etc." but it was more like a continuous struggle as you fought the waves of robots. The red key was frusterating though, but other then that, I loved the level.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The red key wasn't that bad, if you had on hand a Mega Missile or a few Smart Missiles left on hand to clear the robots out from beyond line of sight.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

No, the robots were cake, but I couldn't figure out how to unlock the doors for a while.
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Xfing »

Stroodles wrote:No, the robots were cake, but I couldn't figure out how to unlock the doors for a while.
Yeah, same here, had to ask DFW for this one personally. But the level is something unique, it's so kickass it hurts.

And I wonder how Sirius did those glass-like see-through areas in the boss room.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

pretty simple, you use the opacity meter on the wall tab menu.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

D1: Levels 13 and 14. Level 13 had music that sounded awesome on my old SB16, never heard it the same way on any of my other machines since. I wish proper OPL3 emulation would make it into D1X-Rebirth sometime. It really makes a difference since that's how the music actually sounded back then.

D2: Level 5. I love that level and had a million places to hide in it. I almost made it my home level at one point when I was competing on the IDL.

D3: Level 7. The music there is great, and its probably the only level in that game that actually feels like a descent level.
Darkphoenix
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Darkphoenix »

D1 level 7 and 18 (mostly cause of the music)
d1 fanmade turncoat.. I still play that sometimes.

d2 hm level 3 and 5 maybe

I dont remember enough d3 levels. I have to figure out how to get that working.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Avder wrote:...that's how the music actually sounded back then...
Only if you had a cheap soundcard. The D1 music was meant to play on the Awe32 soundcard, which sounded more like what you hear in XL/Rebirth. But still not exactly. I might put an example on youtube sometime (I've recorded several D1/D2 midis on an emulator of the soundcard... they won't sound exactly the same, but close).
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Only if you had a cheap soundcard. The D1 music was meant to play on the Awe32 soundcard, which sounded more like what you hear in XL/Rebirth. But still not exactly. I might put an example on youtube sometime (I've recorded several D1/D2 midis on an emulator of the soundcard... they won't sound exactly the same, but close).
Hey there, AlterFox. Mail me please when you're on Dateiliste! We've got some work to catch up with.

As for the subject - you can influence the way your music sounds if you play your Descent in DosBox. You'll just have to run setup.exe in the same manner and each soundcard option will produce different results (all of them will work, since it's an emulation). In Windows 95 days, I've always used the SB Pro option, and that's the way I loved my music.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

I love almost every level from Descent 1, but Callisto Tower Colony might be my favorite.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

Alter-Fox wrote:
Was the AWE32 even widespread when D1 was released? I had a sb16. Also, technology wasnt obsolete 3 months after you bought it then, so mid 90's a lot of people still had 386's and low level 486's. The SB16 was a pretty standard card for a lot of hardware back then.

Additionally, where is it stated anywhere that the Descent music was meant to be played on an AWE32?

To me, who played through D1 several times on an old 486, the music in rebirth and the like just does not sound right. Its the same thing if you load up a doom midi and play it in winamp compared to how it sounded when that game came out. The doom source porting community has put a good amount of effort into coming up with passable opl3 emulations because of this and I think it would be a good idea if the descent community would do the same thing for d1. The data needed to program an opl3 chip to produce the right sounds is there in the d1 data files, and I think its a shame that what comes out of the speakers when playing d1 in rebirth sounds pretty much like if I were to play the games music files straight up in winamp.

Cheap soundcard or not, that's how I want the music to sound. Damn your fancy synthfont soundcard jibber jabba, I want my nostalgia.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

DOSBox should be able to do it.
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Glowhyena »

Firewheel wrote:I love almost every level from Descent 1
Descent 1 > Descent II: Vertigo Series > Descent II
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

There's a single player mode?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ye --

Oh wait. It's one of those posts. (In the Descent Single Player forum, no less...)