Google Voice?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Google Voice?

Post by thewolfe »

Anyone using it? Any downside?

Want to try it but want to make sure I can get back to where I was if I don't like it.

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#

I've use it over my computer but haven't gotten a Google phone number that will coordinate all my phone numbers.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I use it on occasion to spoof call the wife. ;)
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I've used it for a year and even if they started charging for the service I would pay. It allows me to jump from one prepaid phone service to another and expire with out having to worry about numbers changing. It expires because I use my Gmail Phone for the majority of my calls.

Also, everyone not in my contacts can only text or leave me a voice mail, which is my favorite setting. And the \"spam\" box is great when you're hunting for insurance; lots of spam calls start coming.

I could go on...
edit:let me know if you care to hear more.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Great for Craigslist or for the paranoid (see above)

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
thewolfe
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by thewolfe »

Tried it yesterday. It rang two phones (good) and it dropped a call (bad). The jury is still out.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Great to send free text messages too. :wink:
Why doesn't it work?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

you can use it from the Google iPhone App too.. buried under 'More / Even More' in Gmail Menu in Google Application, Then save it as a bookmark

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

BUBBALOU wrote:you can use it from the Google iPhone App too.. buried under 'More / Even More' in Gmail Menu in Google Application, Then save it as a bookmark
Does that bypass your plan? Just curious.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

AlphaDoG wrote:Does that bypass your plan? Just curious.
texting-yes, internet-no, minutes-no (uses a relay service for voice)

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Ahhhh rgr.

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

I'm not pleased with Google due to its privacy-bs, but I still use some of its services and laughed at AT&T and the like ruffling their feathers and being miffed. Damn straight this service is a threat to their profits.

I like it for making outbound calls (lovely sound quality) and of course, text messaging. T-Mobile I personally discovered, and then found others to experience as well, has this phenomenon of \"disappearing minutes\". Grr.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Google app for iPhone recent update now has google voice on the app's front page instead of being buried under gmail/even more option

Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I used it to replace my cell phones VMAIL (it transcribes it and texts it to me). Problem is, around 35% of the time, it wouldn't save the message, so I disabled it.