WiFi and Win 7 question

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

WiFi and Win 7 question

Post by Tunnelcat »

Calling all WiFi experts. In the 'connection dialog box' for my WiFi connection status, I get the usual list of local available networks, mine and any of my neighbors that my router is currently picking up, but what is the SSID called 'Other Network' that shows up? This is clearly from my router because of the high signal strength and it claims WEP as the security mode when I check, even though I'm using WPA and have WEP disabled. Right now the router is set to Auto WPA/WPA2 and TKIP, but should I force everything to the newer WPA2 and AES?

If you try to connect, it wants the password of course, although I never want to connect to it of it's in WEP mode. But what creeps me out is that every once and awhile, it shows up as unencrypted for just a second or two. The only thing I could find Googling about it was that my system was detecting a network with a disabled SSID. But as far as I know, I'm not broadcasting anything with a disabled or hidden SSID. :?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Installing and running inSSIDer may help you, because it will help you gather more info about the signal and it's source. It'll also help you find out more about your neighbor's wireless, too.

The more I think about it, that signal *might* be coming from your laptop itself. inSSIDer will help you determine that as well.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Installed the program and ran it. Pretty cool. I like the ability to see what channels all the other networks are using.

Found all the same networks that show up in the Windows connection box. But where does it show what the 'Other Network's SSID is? Should there be a unnamed one listed? I guess what I'm asking is how do I use this little program to determine the what or where of this signal? The only other signal using WEP is one that has a low signal strength that has an SSID and the 'Other Network' signal has a high signal strength without an SSID.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Compare the MAC Addresses of the Access Points

You should first change your wireless channel(strongly recommended)on your router, that is not the Default of 1,6, or 11 like the rest of OOBE users in your neighborhood

So your local linux user who has a sniffing package does not compromise your network

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

LOL, all my neighbors are using 1, 6 or 11, like you said. I do not have any of those channel numbers selected fortunately.

Checking MAC addresses with inSSIDer showed me that only 2 have the same one and they both show up with SSID's, one with a name and one as a guest, so probably from the same router. My SSID and the other 2 are all different from one another. But what is NOT showing with inSSIDer is this 'Other Network' with a WEP security setting, no MAC address or SSID, nada. All SSID's are accounted for between inSSIDer and Windows, except for this mysterious 'Other Network' which has very strong signal, even stronger than mine at times. And what smokes me is that it goes from secure to unsecured randomly.

If my own computer was somehow transmitting a WiFi signal, wouldn't it show up with inSSIDer? The computer in use with the WiFi is not a laptop, but an HP Touchsmart, which I guess is technically a laptop in construction. It has a 802.11n Wireless LAN card (in use) and a Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter (disabled, wouldn't use it if you paid me).
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Is the Mac address of your computer's wireless shown in the list inSSIDer shows?

For giggles, you might check the Mac addresses of all networking interfaces on your computer, and any other wireless devices you have so that you can be sure they are not showing up in that list.

If you have a GPS device that you can connect to your laptop or wireless computer, you can use inSSIDer to identify the location/distance/direction the signals are in relation to you. Great for pinning down where the source is and you it is. Without a GPS (and best down with a laptop), by changing your location you can pinpoint/triangulate where the other signals come from you by watching the signal strengths as you move around.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Din Dar - do u finagling BLOOOO_TOOOOOF?

Laptop + Phone - blah blah - disable Bluetooth on phone and see if mystery network vanishes

Or Wireless Printer or Wii- Har HAr

giggle :lol:

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

This thing is starting to seriously tick me off.

My computer's MAC address does not show up in inSSIDer, so I don't think it's broadcasting. Neither does any MAC address show up for this mysterious 'Other Network' or I'd go start comparing addresses or even channel numbers. That's the problem, I can't get ANYTHING to show up for this mysterious network to even GET an address to work with.

BUBBALOU, I do NOT have a printer or phone with Bluetooth and the computer's Bluetooth is disabled. I even turned OFF the Bluetooth adapter in the computer, still no luck. I also checked my newer printer to make sure IT didn't have a WiFi card, it wasn't supposed to when I bought it. The only thing that's wireless is the keyboard and mouse for the HP 600, but that's something totally different that wouldn't be picked up by Windows isn't it?

I'm running out of ideas. I wish I had another working laptop to try searching around in different locations around the house or neighborhood. Grrrrrrrrrrr!
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Well obviously it isn't anything to do with you or your household. Maybe it's time to just forget about it?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

You could head over to best buy or some other electronics shop and pick up a $20 USB to Wifi adapter that you can plug into any other laptop or desktop computer and use to snoop about independently.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

So let me get this straight ... the \"Other Network\" shows up in the list of available wireless networks ... on your Win7 system, but does not show up on any other computer, and does not show up in inSSIDer? If that's the case, I'd say it's most likely your Win7 system showing you \"options\" (I'd verify that, but I don't have a Win7 laptop immediately available for me to compare with).
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Plugged a USB Wifi adapter into my W7 box, didn't see any \"Other Network\" in available networks. However there are only 2-3 networks within range of my PC and it may require enough to make it scroll before something like that would show up.
Freakster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Freakster »

Is this other network literally called \"Other Network\"? I currently run a Dell Inspiron 1750, Windows 7 Prem. Home (x64).

When I get back home I could check out my connections to see if I have it, maybe confirm the theory that it's showing you more options.

I don't really have much to say about it... Other then exactly what was stated above, as I've seen this happen with Vista computers, and even though it states the network is connected, it's really not when you try to connect. (Maybe this is it, maybe not. I'll have to check later)
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re:

Post by Tunnelcat »

TechPro wrote:So let me get this straight ... the "Other Network" shows up in the list of available wireless networks ... on your Win7 system, but does not show up on any other computer, and does not show up in inSSIDer? If that's the case, I'd say it's most likely your Win7 system showing you "options" (I'd verify that, but I don't have a Win7 laptop immediately available for me to compare with).
I don't know about other computers right now, but this 'Other Network' (yes Freakster, it's literally named 'Other Network' and it has a login) only shows up on my Win 7 system, not within inSSIDer on the same system. This 'Other Network' has WEP security (on and off) and a 802.11g radio type. It wouldn't really bother me except that it sometimes is NOT encrypted and I'm hoping that it's not part of my network.

Next time I need to reboot my router (crappy DSL), I'll boot my Win 7 system and see if this mysterious network disappears when it's off. Maybe it's broadcasting something extra. I'm also going to be moving my rig to another room at the other end of the house when my wall mount is finished, then I can see what changes. Last resort will be an older add-on USB WiFi stick that's been lying around that I'll install on my older Dell XP system.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Hmmm. What flavor of Win7 are you running? (Home, Ultimate, other...) Also, are you sharing any folders with other computers?
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit. No other Win 7 computers in the house, but there is an XP desktop computer that doesn't have WiFi and a NAS drive on my network. I HAVE accessed some of the files on both the XP computer and the NAS drive from the Win 7 computer in question through the network. Got an idea?
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

My idea is ... What if the Win7 system is simply showing you other possible 'networks' among your systems? I don't have a Win7 system on hand to test this theory, but I know that older Windows OS flavors have a tendency, especially when some systems have some active shares, to use \"Other Network\" as a means for you to browse to other systems inside your network, especially if the other computers were set to a different Workgroup (or Domain in larger networks) than the system you're at.

It's a theory ... and could be wrong. Since you've got Win7 Professional, I might borrow/loan out a Win7 laptop from work (it's an option for me) and see if I can see the same sort of thing.

And I might be on to something ... I found some links that *might* be pertinent to this.

If you set (or have set) your system to allow your Internet connection to be shared with other systems, or allow other systems to also use your connection ... you will probably get the \"Other Network\" item to show up.
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... ows-vista/

More of similar into...
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/totw/whn.asp

And from Microsoft TechNet, \"The Cable Guy\" points out that \"Other Network\" is their way of showing \"non-broadcasting wireless networks\" (near the bottom, at \"Non-broadcasting wireless networks\" header):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 02404.aspx

Hope this helps.
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Foil »

I think TechPro hits it right here:
TechPro wrote:...from Microsoft TechNet, "The Cable Guy" points out that "Other Network" is their way of showing "non-broadcasting wireless networks" (near the bottom, at "Non-broadcasting wireless networks" header):
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 02404.aspx
Sounds to me like it's a simple case of a nearby wireless router with the "Broadcast SSID" option disabled (thus SSIDer doesn't see it).
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, I've figured out where it's coming from, my own modem/router. The 'Other Network' disappears when it's powered off. All the links you gave me were very helpful TechPro. I didn't want to turn my off modem sooner to look for this because we had a good clean phone line connection. Our DSL is behind a remote terminal and all the wired land lines in our neighborhood are OLD and prone to noise, depending on what line you get when the modem is booted. Stupid Qwest!

Now what I want to know, since I'm using encrypted WPA2 with a broadcast SSID name and the router's WEP SSID is set to disabled, how in the hell can I turn OFF the WEP broadcasting totally? Going through my modem's settings page, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off completely, only disable the SSID for WEP. And even though the WEP portion is password protected, I can watch in the Windows connection screen when it occasionally shows up as unsecured for no damn reason at all. :x
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

Need more info on the models of router and modem involved.
Heretic
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral
Location: Why no Krom I didn't know you can have 100 characters in this box.

Post by Heretic »

Question along this subject line. Does changing your band to something other the 1, 6. and 11 really doesn't get rid of interference from those bands does it? All of the other bands overlap 1, 6, and 11 would still be causing interference. Am I wrong about this? If so why?

My area.

AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re:

Post by AceCombat »

Heretic wrote:Question along this subject line. Does changing your band to something other the 1, 6. and 11 really doesn't get rid of interference from those bands does it?
no it doesnt, it just makes it easier for your router and devices to communicate with less cross talk
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I wouldn't know, I hardwired every device in the house.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

AlphaDoG wrote:I wouldn't know, I hardwired every device in the house.
Throws Alpha a Biscuit "Good Dog"