Whoa is something wrong here.

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Ferno wrote:

see, I have a problem with stories like that. It points the finger at democrat electees, but doesn't tell us a single name.
Here's 2:
"Mark Stepaniak, an attorney for Cincinnati Public Schools, acknowledged that the district transported about a "score" of students to the polling place, an arrangement put in place by Robinson and a teacher he declined to identify."
Ferno wrote:are we supposed to take them at their word that there were only democrats on the ballot? Personally, I find that very dubious.
I find no one from the school side denying the charge.
Ferno wrote: Straight from the story it reads that the attorney was 'unable to provide any more details'. That by itself gives me cause for concern.
I find a govt. agency conspiring with a local religious group to sway young voters minds to be cause for concern:

"Brinkman's attorney, Chris Finney, said a teacher at the high school coordinated with Gwen Robinson, a former principal within the district, to allow a local church to provide three vans to transport the students to a local polling location."
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re:

Post by Krom »

woodchip wrote:I find a govt. agency conspiring with a local religious group to sway young voters minds to be cause for concern:

"Brinkman's attorney, Chris Finney, said a teacher at the high school coordinated with Gwen Robinson, a former principal within the district, to allow a local church to provide three vans to transport the students to a local polling location."
And that is a problem because of what? Are these somehow The Lords Holy Vans of Indoctrination or something? It's a freakin automobile, get over it! I can only hope that the students aren't as dumb as the people complaining about this.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

On sex education:

Parents should know what their children are being taught. Their ability to do something about it will probably vary by district, but they should at least know what they're getting into, especially concerning controversial subjects.

On education in general:

I philosophically think that a large part of kids growing up into successful, adjusted adults comes from the home. Parents may not teach their kids about biology, algebra, or history- but they should be teaching their kids about resolving conflict, recognizing other people's opinions, responsibility, work ethic, etc. I think that the biggest difference between people that grow up to be good citizens and those who don't is what they learned in the house. I have a hard time with school education programs that undermine parent's role in bringing up their children.

Back to sex education:

I think we can all agree that we want sex education to be about acting responsibly. The message that I'd try to drive home is that if you think you're old enough to have sex, you really should be old enough to be responsible about it... because the consequences are generally long-lived and disruptive. Abstinence is a valid way to be responsible. Condoms are too.

On the theme of responsibility, teachers should also be responsible about the way that they teach sex education, and I think that this case wasn't a responsible way to go about it.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by woodchip »

Edit. Sorry Snoop, this was in response to Kroms post
:oops: :

No, rather schools have gone out of their way to ban religious expression, yet when they have to get transportation for indoctrinational purposes who do they turn to? Christ busters? No, they turn to a real honest to goodness christian groups. The hypocrisy simply crawls all over the place.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

no no woodchip. I just find the charge that the ballots only had democrats listed to be dubious.

we're only getting half the story.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

\"You can see where the worry was, but this wasn't some massive plan by the district.\"

Because they got caught before it could become…?
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Ferno wrote:no no woodchip. I just find the charge that the ballots only had democrats listed to be dubious.

we're only getting half the story.

LOL only .5 the story. :)

http://www.resistnet.com/profiles/blog/ ... e=activity
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.