DLE-XP Level Editor and DMB II

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

DLE-XP Level Editor and DMB II

Post by Swazook »

I know this site doesn't have an affiliation with the program, but I recently downloaded it from the writer's website: http://www.descent2.de/dle-xp-intro.html

And it will not un-zip properly - one of the files in it is corrupt. Does anyone use this editor?

I tried to load the old DMB II through DosBox and I couldn't get it to work either.

I'd like to go back and look at / refine some of the levels I built. For the builders out there, how are you guys doing that these days?

Thanks!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Grab the latest 7-Zip beta (9.17 as of this posting) and it'll read the archive correctly.
Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Swazook »

Worked like a champ Krom - Thanks for the head's up.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

DMB2 was a Windows application - it wouldn't work in DOSBox, no. Might work in Windows XP Mode but it's much easier just to use DLE-XP. (Hopefully. :) After 1.8.0 there's been a lot of bug squashing to do, but most of them seem to be out now.)

I do not entirely know the reason for compressing them with a beta version of 7-Zip but I guess it achieves better compression ratios... :lol:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

DMB2 should work without any issues in Windows XP mode, and may work without too much trouble on newer OS versions (but I've never tried it there) ... but even in XP it has issues with widescreen display modes. It was designed for and works with 800x600, 1024x768. If you do a widescreen display (say 1280x800 for example) the program may load, but it won't display your work correctly.

DLE-XP doesn't have those issues.